DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Tilting: firmware problem?

FabiogSP

Reactions
To create a map I position my Mini 2 vertically with the camera in nadiral grip (90°) and then move the drone to gradually cover the entire area, with the necessary overlaps.
In doing this I had a rather annoying inconvenience: every time I pitch forward, when I release the command, the camera automatically rises and loses its nadiral direction. Moreover, it sometimes happens that you do not notice it and therefore take pictures with that inclination.
I do not understand if I am doing something wrong, if it is a question of setting or if it is a defect of the drone ... Maybe the firmware?

No, it's just that when the aircraft tilts backwards to slow down it exeeds the camera's range of motion and bumps it up. Release the stick more slowly to avoid harsh braking, or move the aircraft sideways instead of forwards/backwards.

But as far as I can see it goes back to vertical after being bumped.

I've noticed it happening on my Mini 2 as well with the camera pointed straight down. Happens even while at very slow movement so I know it's not the drone pitching from sudden or abrupt maneuvers.

Happens even while at very slow movement so I know it's not the drone pitching from sudden or abrupt maneuvers.
That doesn't mean anything, even if you move slow when you let go of the stick without easing out the aircraft will always brake as hard as its settings command.

This was a problem on the mini1 too, and its a firmware issue. There's only 20deg of gimbal travel left when poi ting the camera straight down so under more abrupt movements the camera would hit the mechanical stop on the gimbal. To avoid this the firmware "jumps" the camera back to around 80deg. Annoyingly it doesn't return to 90deg once the aircraft is level, but it could if the firmware was programmed better.

Something similar happens when you fly sideways in sports mode. The gimbal can't keep the horizon level at higher aircraft pitch levels. However, once the aircraft is level again the gimbal returns slowly back to horizontal on its own. If only it did something similar for the vertical axis.

Try flying in cine mode. On the mini 1 that pretty much eliminates the gimbal jump issue as the aircraft doesn't tilt as much, and the gimbal can keep the camera pointing down at 90deg.

Reactions: Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada