DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 - unpredictable connection loss 63 meters away.

MartinhoC

Reactions
My Mini 2 disconnected midfly from the controller. It happend to me once but somehow I was able to reestablish connection. Not this time. I was 63 meters away ant tryed everything but the Mini 2 just hoovered until battery died. It should have returned to home as it is programed but it didn´t. So it fell out of the sky from 19 meters. It had 21 satelites, battery was on 30%. As the result: 1 broken propeller, 1 broken battery, gimbal damaged and not working and lost my ND16 filter.

Fligtlog:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Last edited:
Your incident description rises several questions & the whole event can have several reasons ... the best way to figure this out is too look through the mobile device stored flight log.

Head over to this site --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help ... there you have a description of where to find the flight log (ending with .txt) in your mobile device you flew with. Once retrieved, upload it there & copy the link they provide & come back here & share it in a new post.

I have also have the Mini 2 and have been a little weary about "loss of connection". Others have
commented as I recall, on similar situations and have discovered that the Battery Door may Pop-Open
during flight. I now Tape that Door shut before flying.
On another Note ....how are you capturing Audio on that flight of the waves crashing? any additional
electronics attached to the Mini 2 could add to "Signal Loss". Your Flight Log might indicate that.

I have also have the Mini 2 and have been a little weary about "loss of connection". Others have
commented as I recall, on similar situations and have discovered that the Battery Door may Pop-Open
during flight.

...any additional electronics attached to the Mini 2 could add to "Signal Loss". Your Flight Log might indicate that.
As of now we don't know anything about this case ...

A lost connection will not usually leave the craft just hovering... it will trigger a RTH (if the failsafe setting wasn't on purpose changed from the default). And a lost connection will not cause the craft to "fall out of the sky" either ...

Let's instead wait with the speculation & jumping into conclusions until the OP returns & share the flight log.

during flight. I now Tape that Door shut before flying.
On another Note ....how are you capturing Audio on that flight of the waves crashing? any additional
electronics attached to the Mini 2 could add to "Signal Loss". Your Flight Log might indicate that.

I've tested the theory of the Battery door open. I've shacked the drone with a lot of force, horizontaly and vertically with the door closed and the door open.Neither way the Battery fell of.

As for the sound. I added a sound clip os the ocean hitting the rocks which was recorded using my Mobile Phone.

As of now we don't know anything about this case ...

A lost connection will not usually leave the craft just hovering... it will trigger a RTH (if the failsafe setting wasn't on purpose changed from the default). And a lost connection will not cause the craft to "fall out of the sky" either ...

Let's instead wait with the speculation & jumping into conclusions until the OP returns & share the flight log.
Flightlogs:

Return to Home was set correctly. Not Descend or Hoover. RTH Altitude 40 Meters.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum! Sorry for your loss

My Mini 2 disconnected midfly from the controller.
I was 63 meters away ant tryed everything but the Mini 2 just hoovered until battery died.
It should have returned to home as it is programed but it didn´t.
So it fell out of the sky from 19 meters...As the result: 1 broken propeller, 1 broken battery, gimbal damaged and not working and lost my ND16 filter.
Well ... this one is interesting.

If I just read out the facts from the log here it looks like this...

Here is all interesting telemetry depicted in a chart there in the end of the log ... click on the chart to make it larger, in the bottom legend you can read out what the different graphs mean. Have placed the chart marker just there in the end where the log ends ... the legend values is from that moment.

1637343758944.png

As seen you was flying sideways to the right with a full stick command (stick command aileron=1684, value 1024 is neutral). Your Mini 2 was flying with 13,4mph on 62,7ft height above the HP. Then & there the log ends ... without any signs of something happening. Battery was on 30%, the low battery RTH threshold was defined to 14% & low battery auto landing to 5%. And your failsafe action was set to RTH.

So nothing ... besides a slight abrupt change in the roll & pitch angels not explained by any change in your stick commands ... it was full stick roll to the right all the time.

The log ends here on the sat picture ... have circled in your Mini 2's last position.

1637344194424.png

Going in and looking at the last position in 3D shows this ...

1637344719525.png

Looks really as you with full speed hit that light house ... & that knocked your Mini 2 out of the sky. If this is what happened ... then yeah, understandable that your log ended & your Mini 2 didn't RTH.

Can you tell us a bit more about what happened there ... did you have your eyes on the Min 2 there ?

Reactions: bfuqua
Well ... this one is interesting.

If I just read out the facts from the log here it looks like this...

Here is all interesting telemetry depicted in a chart there in the end of the log ... click on the chart to make it larger, in the bottom legend you can read out what the different graphs mean. Have placed the chart marker just there in the end where the log ends ... the legend values is from that moment.

View attachment 138675

As seen you was flying sideways to the right with a full stick command (stick command aileron=1684, value 1024 is neutral). Your Mini 2 was flying with 13,4mph on 62,7ft height above the HP. Then & there the log ends ... without any signs of something happening. Battery was on 30%, the low battery RTH threshold was defined to 14% & low battery auto landing to 5%. And your failsafe action was set to RTH.

So nothing ... besides a slight abrupt change in the roll & pitch angels not explained by any change in your stick commands ... it was full stick roll to the right all the time.

The log ends here on the sat picture ... have circled in your Mini 2's last position.

View attachment 138677

Going in and looking at the last position in 3D shows this ...

View attachment 138680

Looks really as you with full speed hit that light house ... & that knocked your Mini 2 out of the sky. If this is what happened ... then yeah, understandable that your log ended & your Mini 2 didn't RTH.

Can you tell us a bit more about what happened there ... did you have your eyes on the Min 2 there ?
Thank you very much for your analises.

How accurate is this flythpath? Because the drone was hoovering over the rooftop of the little building in front of the Lighthouse. I could see it but it just didn´t react. I had to go around and ask the Guard to open the gate to let me in. By that time it was already on the ground. If it had hit the lighthouse the the first propeller that impacted with it would be the rear right one. The broken propeller was the front right.

Attachments

• 1637344194424.png
    1637344194424.png
    929.2 KB · Views: 2
Thank you very much for your analises.

How accurate is this flythpath? Because the drone was hoovering over the rooftop of the little building in front of the Lighthouse. I could see it but it just didn´t react. I had to go around and ask the Guard to open the gate to let me in. By that time it was already on the ground. If it had hit the lighthouse the the first propeller that impacted with it would be the rear right one. The broken propeller was the front right.
It's accurate by the accuracy of the craft GPS ... and if you look at the very last second in the chart above, the pitch & roll angle abruptly change ... this with a constant roll stick command from your side. That could indicate that your craft just started to hit something ... but then either the connection was lost or the motors shut off (as the recording of the log runs from motors on to off) ... and the log ended.

Your craft had full speed all the time to the end, no hovering is recorded in the log ...

It's accurate by the accuracy of the craft GPS ... and if you look at the very last second in the chart above, the pitch & roll angle abruptly change ... this with a constant roll stick command from your side. That could indicate that your craft just started to hit something ... but then either the connection was lost or the motors shut off (as the recording of the log runs from motors on to off) ... and the log ended.

Your craft had full speed all the time to the end, no hovering is recorded in the log ...
Thank you again for your quick reply.

I've already sent it do DJI. Lets see what comes out of this. I only hope that the repair would be to expensive :(

Reactions: slup
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser