DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 vs Mini 3 Should I wait?

kjonyou

Reactions
So I know how popular the Mini 2 is right now. But if the rumors are true about the mini 3 coming out in April of this year, do you think buying the Mini 2 is a bad idea? The reason I say that is since it's been around for a few years, it's likely they might sunset it once the 3 comes out. Then I am suck with brand new discontuned technology. I am sure it will still work great but if I wanted to sell it a year later for example, it's going to be worthless. Plus app updates will probably stop being made. What do you think, assuming you could wait?

So I know how popular the Mini 2 is right now. But if the rumors are true about the mini 3 coming out in April of this year, do you think buying the Mini 2 is a bad idea? The reason I say that is since it's been around for a few years, it's likely they might sunset it once the 3 comes out. Then I am suck with brand new discontuned technology. I am sure it will still work great but if I wanted to sell it a year later for example, it's going to be worthless. Plus app updates will probably stop being made. What do you think, assuming you could wait?
Wait, unless you have nothing to fly.

Do you have something else to fly now? If so, I’d wait. I have a Mini 2 and I find that I’d rather fly my Air 2 in most situations due to it’s slightly longer flight time, greater stability, better performance if the wind kicks up, etc.

Some of those issues might be addressed by the Mini 3, but probably not all of them.

Situations in which I favor the Mini 2 over the Air 2:
Backpacking, hiking and bikepacking when it’s small size allow me to carry it along just in case.
Flying into narrow canyons, among tree branches, etc where it’s full prop guards and low cost allow me to balance getting the image I want versus the possibility of loss or damage.

Howard

But if the rumors are true about the mini 3 coming out in April of this year
The "rumours" are nonsense speculation, based on no evidence at all.
No-one has any idea what DJI are releasing until just a few weeks before launch.
The Mini 3 and the "rumours" are pure fantasy.
The reason I say that is since it's been around for a few years,
The Mini 2 was released in November 2020.
It's only just over one year old.

Mini 2 is still a very good drone. It's actually the only drone nowadays that can be "stealthy" due to size and low noise. Even if Mini 3 comes out - it won't be drastically different. DJI will not cannibalize Air2s sales or other drones in its lineup. I think we might see slightly better sensor for camera (but won't be realistic to put much bigger sensor on Mini 3 due to weight limitations) and some additional obstacle avoidance sensors (but again it won't be full 360). Flight time might be slightly longer, but not by much (again weight limitation for sub 249g drones). So maybe 1-2 minutes more? All in all it will be a good improvement over Mini 2, but nothing extraordinary or revolutionary. So Mini 2 will still be a very attractive option.

Reactions: PaJi and Wade L.
The "rumours" are nonsense speculation, based on no evidence at all.
No-one has any idea what DJI are releasing until just a few weeks before launch.
The Mini 3 and the "rumours" are pure fantasy.
This is what frustrates me about these sites, they have to keep driving traffic to their sites since there's no news on new drones for most of the time so they have to keep making up rumours about drones. That in turns means people hold off buying because they're being told there's a new product just round the corner when most of the time there's not. I know there's also topics when people are irate that a newer product has been released that's better than their current drone but there's always going to be better products released and if you're always waiting for the next one, you'll never actually have a drone.

I don't find drones plummet in value either when they've been discontinued as they still work as well as they did when new. I just think of the number of potential Mavic 2 buyers who held off waiting for the Mavic 3 which the rumour sites were claiming was imminent which was a long time before the actual release date and now the Mavic 3 is out, it's not what some people are wanting so they've lost all that potential time they could have been flying the drone for nothing.

Reactions: PaJi
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78