DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 vs other drones, my experience

Natehighup

Reactions
Usually I’m on a limited budget when it comes to drones so I always want the best I can get for the money,
I wanted a second one in addition to my mini that was larger and has active track, so I bought a FIMI x8 2020 and a zino 2 plus (different time periods) both where around 450-500.
I wanted to let anyone know who is considering something similar that neither hold a candle to the mini 2!
On paper the FIMI in particular looks better, it isn’t, the best way I can put it is neither are as “refined” they don’t fly the same, she video downlink is not even close to the image you get on your phone with the mini, they don’t fly the same.
DJI has really refined the experience, just little things, the FIMI has tilted horizon no matter what I do, the zino (I returned that) was even worse, they both would not hover in one place, the mini 2 is rock solid! In addition to the mini I have owned the original mini 1, mavic,spark, phantom 3 se,
The mini really is amazing for the money and provides more the suitable video. I do hope at some point there is active track through a 3rd party app,aside from that I have zero complaints.

As long as it meets your needs, thats all thats really important. Not everyone has a spare $1K or more for a better drone, and of course there is always something a little better right around the corner.

I really like the mini 2 drone so much. It's been pretty stable mostly and the video quality is so amazing. I do hope some day they will do a Dr with the waypoints and etc .

You're right. None of the cheap Chinese drones fly like DJI drones. I know. My first drone (for 2 days) was an Eachine X4.
What people don't know is that there is no place in the US to repair most of these drones should and when you crash them or if they arrive defective as mine did. It costs $55-$65 to ship back to China for repair, plus the cost of repair and return shipping. Additionally, my personal experience with a defective Eachine from Banggood, was that in spite of their published policy to pay for return shipping on defective goods within the 7 day period after receipt, they did not honor their warranty, wanted me to pay for return shipping, would not issue credit or replacement until they received it, inspected it and adjudicated the claim, which would be over a month for that, plus whatever sea time would be required to receive a replacement. Ultimately my bank got involved and the bank issued a full refund. What they did in terms of settling with Banggood I don't know.

With the bank refund I bought my Mini and was quite happy and have since bought a M2P, sold the Mini and replaced it with a Mini 2.

I'm not saying that DJI is the only game in town. I would have no problem buying an Autel or a Skydio if they filled my needs going forward. In fact, if Autel can improve their transmission system I might say that Autel might be my next drone as the only entity I have to ask for permission from is the FAA to fly in certain areas, not another big tech.

Expect to see the same FAA requirement for all drone flight as soon as FAA can get to enforcement of their requirements on minority drone makers.

Expect to see the same FAA requirement for all drone flight as soon as FAA can get to enforcement of their requirements on minority drone makers.
What do you think FAA will/can do for DIY FPV pilots that make their own from parts in their bedrooms?

Suspect that, because of the obviously difficult target, that retail manufacturers will be first.
I dunno... That will be tough. How do you target parts that aren't actually a drone yet?

The FAA will continue to ignore them...until there is a proven safety problem. For the most part, the rules are there to give them a stick to hit you with when they determine you are a problem.

They will not be able to do any enforcement against parts. They will go after manufacturers of full drones because they can and if they don't force them to comply... they relinquish their power. Also, here in America, we demand the application of "fairness". It wouldn't be fair to make the big boys comply and not the small manufacturers.

It is unlikely they will ever go after all of the homemade drones.

Budget level drones are definitely getting better, but I was not able to get one drone that ticked all of the boxes for me. They also have the WiFi limitation that hinders flight distance. Like any other hobby, if you want to move up to the next level of reliability and performance, you are going to have to cough up more cash. I chose to get the MA2. Sure it cost me more money, but I'm no longer checking out drone reviews and prices. For those that can't make the leap to an MA2, the Mini 2 seems to be the perfect fit.

I love the Mavair2 and air2s. Mostly because they can withstand higher winds than the mini's. I owned both, but gave away the mini. But ofcouse, there is the price issue. You can't beat the mini 2 price.
Just added a used A2 (from this forum) to my fleet since so many are upgrading to the A2s. It's replacing my mini1 that I have enjoyed very much but needed the added wind resistance. What an upgrade! Much more than expected. Almost got the mini2 for the smaller size and weight but happy with my decision. A2 is a little beast.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54