DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 winter temperatures

droncek

Reactions
Hello Mini 2 users :)

I experiencing problems in winter temperatures between 0C and +2C.

After take off on low altitude where VPS is holding microposition is OK, but higher up when GPS is holding position it slowly drifts. Or rotating slowly by itself. When I push forward it goes forward and left or forward and right. After some 5-10 minutes becomes everything more stable but not perfect. But on landing it often saying calibrate IMU even if it was calibrated before take off.

Everything is calibrated.

Yes I know Mini 2 minimum operating temperature is 0C by the specs but all my previous dji drones worked fine in this temperaturte.

Do you have any problems with Mini 2 in winter?

This has nothing to do with which model drone you have: when you are pushing it that close to the spec'd temp limits, anything can happen. Especially when you factor in things like wind-chill (or sun on the opposite end of the spectrum). I wouldn't even try to fly those temperatures.

This has nothing to do with which model drone you have: when you are pushing it that close to the spec'd temp limits, anything can happen. Especially when you factor in things like wind-chill (or sun on the opposite end of the spectrum). I wouldn't even try to fly those temperatures.
Concur, things at time frame discussed is the normal warming due to use, but by then things probably went to ambient outside tempature so it's basically a losing fight due to flight time.

Even in warmer temperatures I have noticed "wandering" once altitude is above the bottom sensor range-
This is normal for 5m GPS accuracy.
As far as flying in cold temperatures, it's good practice to allow the drone (and it's sensors) to acclimate to the outside temperature before flying, 10-15 mins should do it. Pull the battery to keep it warm.

Reactions: EricMeyer
Windchill isn't relevant for a dry object. Also, it is reasonable to expect the aircraft to function normally when operating at or within the specified temperatures.

I've operated a Mini1 in -3deg C without any issues.

Reactions: EmsAir

After take off on low altitude where VPS is holding microposition is OK, but higher up when GPS is holding position it slowly drifts. Or rotating slowly by itself. When I push forward it goes forward and left or forward and right. After some 5-10 minutes becomes everything more stable but not perfect. But on landing it often saying calibrate IMU even if it was calibrated before take off.

Yes I know Mini 2 minimum operating temperature is 0C by the specs but all my previous dji drones worked fine in this temperaturte.

Today I with my Mavic Mini fly. Temperature was -8 celsius- all is perfect! So Mavic Mini is better than Mini 2 in temperature battle!?

• Haha
Reactions: Mario McFly
Agree, why take a chance on losing or crashing your quad flying on the edge. As an aside, wind chill doesn't apply to inanimate objects - no matter how hard the wind is blowing, if it's 15 degrees F, the quad won't get colder than 15 degrees.

Check out DJI about batteries.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 10.29.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 10.29.12 AM.png
    862.2 KB · Views: 55
Agree, why take a chance on losing or crashing your quad flying on the edge. As an aside, wind chill doesn't apply to inanimate objects - no matter how hard the wind is blowing, if it's 15 degrees F, the quad won't get colder than 15 degrees.
It doesn't matter if the object is alive or not, what matters is how damp/wet it is. Take a wet brick and a dry brick. The wet brick will be colder in high winds due to evaporation.

Indeed the AC is dry so not likely to be affected by wind chill, but if the air is sufficiently humid, the air itself can provide the "wet" to cause wind chill.

Indeed the AC is dry so not likely to be affected by wind chill, but if the air is sufficiently humid, the air itself can provide the "wet" to cause wind chill.
But if the air is sufficiently humid to wet the drone then what is happening is condensation and not evaporation, and theoretically that would warm the drone up, given that condensation is an exothermic process.

There are 2 mechanisms that cause wind chill:
  1. The wind removes an "insulating" layer of air around the warm object causing it to cool to the ambient air temperature quicker. That's what blowing on your hot coffee does - replaces that hot air next to the coffee with fresh cold air
  2. Evaporation, which requires the body being cooled to be damp - humans sweat to achieve this. The lower the relative humidity of the air the greater the cooling effect - sweating in a sauna doesn't cool you down, but sweating in a desert does. Evaporation can cause cooling to below ambient air temperature, but that requires low relative humidity and a fairly high evaporation surface and a good supply of liquid to evaporate.
We're digressing a bit from the OP's query though, as they were asking whether others are having any issues with Mini2s in the near-freezing temperature range. From what I've read, and experienced on 3 different drones they typically function quite normally at these temperatures. @droncek When you flew had the aircraft been kept warm immediately prior to the flight? Or had it been out in the cold for a bit first? How much was it drifting by, and was it continuously drifting in the same direction, or loosely holding position over the same area? Did you definitely have a reliable GPS fix (you can check this in the flight logs in Fly app)?

The main issue when flying at low temperatures is the short term battery capacity decrease and the longer term battery health concern.

Last edited:

Personally i dont with my mini 2 . Been in -4 weather and it operated fine.

I’ve had the Mini2 do the drift in 5c. Doing a multiple exposures shot and it slowly creeps around counterclockwise. Can’t use it for long stills because of that. Doesnt happen every time.

My mini had issues with jello effect when filming in cold temperatures. Since I started climatizing the drone without a battery outside for 10 - 15 minutes before flying the gimbal issues went away and I didn’t notice any drifting. Could be worth a try.

My new Mini 2 arrives tomorrow from DJI. I will most likely do the same thing with it when flying in colder temperatures.

Good luck. It might work.

New member, just joined after Googling about flying my Mavic Mini in cold weather. It seems some people have had success, but has anyone been brave (stupid!) enough to fly when it's -13C outside??? I'm in Chicago, frozen Lake Michigan looks awesome, but I don't fancy walking out onto it to rescue a frozen drone!!

New member, just joined after Googling about flying my Mavic Mini in cold weather. It seems some people have had success, but has anyone been brave (stupid!) enough to fly when it's -13C outside??? I'm in Chicago, frozen Lake Michigan looks awesome, but I don't fancy walking out onto it to rescue a frozen drone!!
Today I fly with my Mavic Mini in -23C (Latvia) without any problems!

I flown on multiple occasions in -10C. The only issue is that the barometric altitude is sensitive to temperature changes. VPS does not work well on snow so it’s also better needed. I let it hover for a minute or two before flying further away to let the temperature settle. During this time the altitude drifts a few meter up and down. I’ve also noticed that when flying fast it looses altitude and gain again when stopping.

Reactions: Mavic Mini
I flown on multiple occasions in -10C. The only issue is that the barometric altitude is sensitive to temperature changes. VPS does not work well on snow so it’s also better needed. I let it hover for a minute or two before flying further away to let the temperature settle. During this this the altitude drifts a few meter up an down. I’ve also noticed that when flying quickly it looses altitude and gain again when stopping.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada