DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 accessory selection- more challenging than other models

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I didn't think I'd like my Mini 3 as much a I do (so far). I still have some gimbal glitch issues that I didn't expect that popped up randomly. It's got some new features I haven't dealt with before. But the accessory selections are SO different than the Mini 2, Mini 1 or my Mavic 2 Pro and more so than before the Mini 3 has some packing challenges, which lead to which accessories are best for me.

How am I going to pack and store this thing? In some ways it's simpler than the Mini 2 because connector cables aren't required. But the RC Pro is "oversized" so it takes up more raw case space than the RCN1. What I don't understand is why, since the RCN1 is now a staple, case makers having made wider cases so the RCN1 or RC Pro can be packed on its side that than face up or face down? I can configure it that way in my Apach 2800, but I would prefer a smaller case overall, particularly because the Mini 3 doesn't have all that much extra stuff to carry compared to others that require phones, tablet and adapters, cables, etc.

I think the most intersting choice I've had to make is which leg extension set I should have. There is the Helo skid type that clamps onto the bottom or the strap-over-the-top type with fold-out feet. I ordered both to see which I liked better. In a way I like the skid type, but the advertising is misleading. They do not fold flat, The "skids" overlap each other so add quite a bit of depth that is difficult to pack. The strap-n-feet one seems to be better for me as it does have a flatter folded profile, is 3 grams heavier. The skid type allowed me to put velcro in it for strobes, while the strap type forced me to put velcro on the bottom of the drone. Fortunately, the skid type exensions allow me to leave the drone's velcro in place, so I can go either way. The other thing is that the strap type allows me to leave the gimbal cover on when installing it while the folding snap on type requires the gimbal cover to be removed.

The other two things that I was wondering about was a lanyard connection to the RC Pro. They don't sell the M4 x8mm hooks separately as I have three lanyards, but had no way to attach them to the RC Pro. Lanyard kids were running for $15-$20 but all I needed were the two screw in eyelets. However I found a kit that actually has a screen shade and a few different ways I can attach a lanyard, with or without the screen shade. I think this was a subject on a different thread. Below find a photo. I'm not sure how it's going to work, pack and store, but it's worth a shot. The RC Pro is brighter than my phone, but not as bright as DJI's $1200 smart controller. While the shade will probably only be needed on extra bright days in direct sunlight, I say better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. There is now also a silcone shade that fits over the whole controller. I chose this one because even if I don't use the shade I can use the screws for attaching one of my lanyards. Here's another thing that requires more packing space. I've been able to reconfigure my Apache 2800,for the Mini 3, but some of the point of the Minis are to be able to travel light and compact. DJI isn't making it easy, making the controllers larger and larger in each iteration.

One more thing that I felt I had to order... spare control sticks. For some reason the ones on the RC Pro just feel more "fumbly" than others. I know I'll drop one in the grass if I don't have a spare set. $250 for the FMC plus kit. You'd think they'e include spare sticks and a wall charger. But no.

I'm not sure what else I need at this time. But Amazon had a special of 3 Samsun 64 gb micro SD cards for $15 so I ordered them just to have them.

Anyone have other thoughts of "add-ons" while I'm at it?

1657826556847.png

Reactions: Rchawks
I grabbed a GardTok Mini 3 hard case (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0B1DFMTXX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) for travelling and normal storage and have a SKYREAT Mini 3 Pro RC Case (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...n_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews) inbound to fit into a smaller backpack for hikes.

My only complaint with the GardTok hard case is that it is bigger than the hard case I had for my MM2, which sucks because I have this tacti-cool gray bag that I carried my MM2 in a hard case. The M3P hard case does not fit in the bag, so I am searching for something larger.

The moment the DJI RC came out of the box I put a full screen protector on it and also picked up that sunshade you posted a pic of but have not tried it yet.

I am a whore for accessories when I buy something new, so I am always looking for something to add value or make using something easier :)

Reactions: Rchawks
I didn't think I'd like my Mini 3 as much a I do (so far). I still have some gimbal glitch issues that I didn't expect that popped up randomly. It's got some new features I haven't dealt with before. But the accessory selections are SO different than the Mini 2, Mini 1 or my Mavic 2 Pro and more so than before the Mini 3 has some packing challenges, which lead to which accessories are best for me.

How am I going to pack and store this thing? In some ways it's simpler than the Mini 2 because connector cables aren't required. But the RC Pro is "oversized" so it takes up more raw case space than the RCN1. What I don't understand is why, since the RCN1 is now a staple, case makers having made wider cases so the RCN1 or RC Pro can be packed on its side that than face up or face down? I can configure it that way in my Apach 2800, but I would prefer a smaller case overall, particularly because the Mini 3 doesn't have all that much extra stuff to carry compared to others that require phones, tablet and adapters, cables, etc.

I think the most intersting choice I've had to make is which leg extension set I should have. There is the Helo skid type that clamps onto the bottom or the strap-over-the-top type with fold-out feet. I ordered both to see which I liked better. In a way I like the skid type, but the advertising is misleading. They do not fold flat, The "skids" overlap each other so add quite a bit of depth that is difficult to pack. The strap-n-feet one seems to be better for me as it does have a flatter folded profile, is 3 grams heavier. The skid type allowed me to put velcro in it for strobes, while the strap type forced me to put velcro on the bottom of the drone. Fortunately, the skid type exensions allow me to leave the drone's velcro in place, so I can go either way. The other thing is that the strap type allows me to leave the gimbal cover on when installing it while the folding snap on type requires the gimbal cover to be removed.

The other two things that I was wondering about was a lanyard connection to the RC Pro. They don't sell the M4 x8mm hooks separately as I have three lanyards, but had no way to attach them to the RC Pro. Lanyard kids were running for $15-$20 but all I needed were the two screw in eyelets. However I found a kit that actually has a screen shade and a few different ways I can attach a lanyard, with or without the screen shade. I think this was a subject on a different thread. Below find a photo. I'm not sure how it's going to work, pack and store, but it's worth a shot. The RC Pro is brighter than my phone, but not as bright as DJI's $1200 smart controller. While the shade will probably only be needed on extra bright days in direct sunlight, I say better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. There is now also a silcone shade that fits over the whole controller. I chose this one because even if I don't use the shade I can use the screws for attaching one of my lanyards. Here's another thing that requires more packing space. I've been able to reconfigure my Apache 2800,for the Mini 3, but some of the point of the Minis are to be able to travel light and compact. DJI isn't making it easy, making the controllers larger and larger in each iteration.

One more thing that I felt I had to order... spare control sticks. For some reason the ones on the RC Pro just feel more "fumbly" than others. I know I'll drop one in the grass if I don't have a spare set. $250 for the FMC plus kit. You'd think they'e include spare sticks and a wall charger. But no.

I'm not sure what else I need at this time. But Amazon had a special of 3 Samsun 64 gb micro SD cards for $15 so I ordered them just to have them.

Anyone have other thoughts of "add-ons" while I'm at it?

View attachment 151725
I'm confused by your post regarding the controller. You mentioned the RC Pro, but I thought it wasn't compatable with the M3P. Are you referring to the DJI RC?

In case you're looking for a tiny cooling fan for after flight downloads or other overheating situations, you may be interested in this very small cooling fan.,

It was relatively expensive, but is the smallest one that I could find that could be toted around fairly easily. I just got it today and it seems like it will do the trick.

I'm confused by your post regarding the controller. You mentioned the RC Pro, but I thought it wasn't compatable with the M3P. Are you referring to the DJI RC?
I’m so confused about the parts nomenclature. It’s the smart controller that comes with the mini 3 pro.

Reactions: Torque and MR.G
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato