DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 and remote ID

jeplane

Reactions
Does anybody know if the mini 3 will comply with the FAA remote ID by September this year?
Thanks

DJI has said all their recent drones will comply via a software update and much older ones will use an add on hardware attachment. I’m sure the Mini 3 Pro will comply.

For those wondering about sub 249 g drones… they do NOT have to do remote ID UNLESS used for Part 107 commercial purposes and then do have to comply. Considering the name “Pro” on this drone I’m sure it will have no issue complying (likely using the onboard WiFi transmission) via software update.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
September is the date for the manufacturers to start being compliant although without the specifications being ironed out, I'm not sure how that's going to work.

September is the date for the manufacturers to start being compliant although without the specifications being ironed out, I'm not sure how that's going to work.

I suspect it might be delayed, but we'll see.

Couple of notes:

• The Mini 3 Pro with the small battery registered for recreational purposes only would not need remote ID as noted. For Part 107 purposes or with the big battery (or prop guards, etc) it would need remote ID.
  • Drones manufactured after 9/15 will need remote ID, although the Mini could be excluded if they don't sell the extended battery
  • If you own a drone already manufactured, you have a whole additional year (until September of 2023) for that drone to be remote ID compliant, so you don't really need to worry about updates for existing drones for a while.

Yes, the Mini 3 has an extended battery, soon to be released. But does just having the battery available for the mini 3, require it to use remote ID? If I don't use an extended battery , I assume remote ID won't be required. Will the mini 3 know if an extended battery is inserted into the drone and then trip some kind failsafe that will either turn on remote ID, if it is allready installed in the Mini3 or will the operator need to purchase a remote ID device to fly with the extended battery?

Last question: Are all new DJI drones having remote ID hardware being installed as of today's date? If so, will it suddenly activate in september?

See responses in-line. The truth is the industry doesn't seem to have yet finalized implementation standards, so some things are just not known at this time.
Yes, the Mini 3 has an extended battery, soon to be released. But does just having the battery available for the mini 3, require it to use remote ID? Will probably require some legal interpretations of the rule for this, but it seems almost certain that if DJI offers the drone in a configuration 0.55 lbs or more, they will have to sell it with Remote ID starting mid September (unless delayed). If I don't use an extended battery , I assume remote ID won't be required. If your drone is flown for recreational purposes only and follows rules for not flying over people/moving vehicles and weights <0.55 lbs you will not be required to have remote ID in the US. Will the mini 3 know if an extended battery is inserted into the drone and then trip some kind failsafe that will either turn on remote ID, if it is allready installed in the Mini3 or will the operator need to purchase a remote ID device to fly with the extended battery? Only DJI knows what they'll do in this case. It seems like the drone should have the capability to understand what battery it has in it, so maybe they can force Remote ID on in that case, but we'll see what DJI does. They may take the "Safe" road and have it on all the time anyway, because they can't guaranteed payload size, but they do detect prop guards, so maybe they can leave it to the operator with small battery and no prop guards. We'll have to see. Almost certain you wouldn't need an external Remote ID device. DJI is planning for this for a while.

Last question: Are all new DJI drones having remote ID hardware being installed as of today's date? If so, will it suddenly activate in september? DJI claims that many of their drones including those that have been out for a while will be able to enable Remote ID via software update. As I noted previously, drones sold before 9/16/2022 have until 9/16/2023 to have Remote ID to be keep flying outside of special areas today, so DJI doesn't have to solve that for a bit. Who knows when they will activate it, and if they activate it will it be "optional" before 9/16/23 or not. Will be an interesting case for the Mini 3 because new Mini 3's will be required to have it on 9/16/23 but the older ones will not. Random guess, but would suspect DJI enables it for all of them so they aren't in a "manufactured date" issue with the FAA enforcement team.

Reactions: Don Testme
Here is a quote from DJI support Re Mini3 and Remote ID.
"Mini Pro 3 will be compliant with RID in September, 2023.We will make Mini Pro 3 will be compliant with RID through firmware update."

They also must be expecting some requests to suppress RID as he said also,
"...please don't worry, I'm pretty sure we'll be rolling out a sensible opt-out policy for different drones modes."
At least that is what I think he means--it was out of context and not something about which i directly inquired.

I take both lines as positive and reassuring.

Mike

Sounds like they would make it an option.......You decide if you want RID to operate or not.

Now THAT would be cool.......... Z

However......would that even be allowed by the FCC regulations...........

PS. It's already operating in Japan.......fwiw

Here is a quote from DJI support Re Mini3 and Remote ID.
"Mini Pro 3 will be compliant with RID in September, 2023.We will make Mini Pro 3 will be compliant with RID through firmware update."

They also must be expecting some requests to suppress RID as he said also,
"...please don't worry, I'm pretty sure we'll be rolling out a sensible opt-out policy for different drones modes."
At least that is what I think he means--it was out of context and not something about which i directly inquired.

I take both lines as positive and reassuring.

Mike
What about in Japan. They started RID this year. Just realized it as I was registering my drone. Going on vacation next month and wanted to take it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy