karlblessing

Gerbil Charmer Extraordinaire
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
karlblessing.com
  • Sad
Reactions: DoomMeister
Basically prosumers get the cold shoulder from DJI and from Yuneec. If you want to do serious work you have to spend money like you are a major corporation with bottomless pockets and purchase the Enterprise editions of their aircraft. Then you also get stuck paying exorbitant fees for the software to perform the mapping and photogrammetry.

Those wanting to do a side hustle or for extra income after retirement are being left with few options these days.

View attachment 160217

Odd that they would give a consumer drone the SDK when they seemed to be going in the direction of enterprise only, but not planning to do the same for the Mavic 3 unless you have an enterprise version.
Hi, there is a hell of a lot of consternation on here about SDK's for certain models. I have a Mini 2 and a Mini SE, and have just ordered the Mini 3 Pro ( mainly to get the controller with the screen) ... I think it is probably nothing that should concern me, but having googled for an hour, I am still at a loss as to what 'SDK' means in relation to DJI drones .. yet there are very many DJI owners on here who are very concerned about 'SDK's or lack of 'em ... exactly what are we talking about here, in laymans language, if you can please ... regards Dave ...

Hi, there is a hell of a lot of consternation on here about SDK's for certain models. I have a Mini 2 and a Mini SE, and have just ordered the Mini 3 Pro ( mainly to get the controller with the screen) ... I think it is probably nothing that should concern me, but having googled for an hour, I am still at a loss as to what 'SDK' means in relation to DJI drones .. yet there are very many DJI owners on here who are very concerned about 'SDK's or lack of 'em ... exactly what are we talking about here, in laymans language, if you can please ... regards Dave ...
SDK - software development kit

Basically, in the case of drones, it’s access for developers to create software integrations, API’s, or other third party software to modify existing or add new capabilities to the drones.

Reactions: Suzygs1000
As Logando said, it's a software development kit.

DJI can write their own software to access the drone completely, but for others they need something that can translate specific commands to control any of the drones supported by DJI's SDK. The SDK also allows DJI to remain in control of their drone and limit capabilities they don't want other apps to be able to do (like override geofencing for example). In that way no app or API (Application programming interface) can connect or issue a command to the drone that DJI doesn't allow for.

That's why applications can't support a drone until DJI releases an SDK for it. And also why it can take 6 months or longer for an app to support it after the release as they have to see how the SDK works and test it before releasing the final application to the public. Without the SDK , apps like dronelink, mavin, dronedeploy, litchi, etc can't work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots