DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini 3/ mini 3 pro, at what battery percentage do they start the critical battery forced landing phase?

i think its 10 or 15%.

At 20% the warning" low battery" comes up and it starts to beep but you can still fly as normal.

Forced landing and forced reduced altitude is not the same.
Forced landing is at like 1%, where you cant do anything at all.
But when its at 10% and starts do lower altitude by itself, you can still push the stick up and make it go higher.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
At 20% the warning" low battery" comes up and it starts to beep but you can still fly as normal.
I think you will find that
1) the initial low battery warning occurs at a variable percentage which depends on
......a) the drone's distance from the home point
......b) the drone's height and
......c) the climb required, if any, to RTH height.
2) The initial stages of forced landing/descent occur at a variable percentage that depends solely on the drone's height.
What I am asking about is the critical battery threshold and for which a warning appears in the app.

Last edited:
I read somewhere in the dji forum that at 10% the drone is forcing you to go back home and at 8% it starts a forced landing.
But you can overide it by pushing the left stick up.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I read somewhere in the dji forum that at 10% the drone is forcing you to go back home and at 8% it starts a forced landing.
But you can overide it by pushing the left stick up.
Neither of those values are fixed...

The force landing is height dependent.
The low battery RTH is distance to HP dependent.

The logic behind this is simple...

The landing... to reach solid ground before the battery is depleted & the drone start to free fall, & this will be at different battery percentages as it will require different amounts of remaining battery depending on the height.

The RTH... to reach HP before the battery is depleted, & this will be at different battery percentages as it will require different amounts of remaining battery depending on distance to HP

Reactions: MS Coast
Neither of those values are fixed...

The force landing is height dependent.
The low battery RTH is distance to HP dependent.

The logic behind this is simple...

The landing... to reach solid ground before the battery is depleted & the drone start to free fall, & this will be at different battery percentages as it will require different amounts of remaining battery depending on the height.

The RTH... to reach HP before the battery is depleted, & this will be at different battery percentages as it will require different amounts of remaining battery depending on distance to HP
I believe those values are fixed downward only.
Of course if your drone is over 10% of the remaining battery time away from its homepoint then you'll be warned earlier.

Of course if your drone is over 10% of the remaining battery time away from its homepoint then you'll be warned earlier.
Test it yourself, I think you will find Slup is correct.
I think you will find that
1) the initial low battery warning occurs at a variable percentage which depends on
......a) the drone's distance from the home point
......b) the drone's height and
......c) the climb required, if any, to RTH height.
2) The initial stages of forced landing/descent occur at a variable percentage that depends solely on the drone's height.

Of course, you have a lowest threshold for both the low voltage auto landing & RTH... these lowest thresholds will differ slightly between different drone models. But even if you just hover over the HP really close to ground... you will aways have a low voltage auto landing & RTH, these functionalities will never be deactivated.

This is for instance a a chart from a flight from my own Mavic Air 1... containing 4 graphs,

Red= height above HP
Green= Low battery auto landing percentage threshold
Blue= Distance from HP
Purple= Low battery RTH threshold percentage

The flight is straight out on a constant height, a turn around & the same path back to the HP. Note the lowest values for the Green & Purple in the beginning & end (Have placed a chart marker in the beginning where the lowest values start to increase... for my drone they will never be lower than 10% for landing & 15% for RTH.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
1702902199795.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Of course, you have a lowest threshold for both the low voltage auto landing & RTH... these lowest thresholds will differ slightly between different drone models. But even if you just hover over the HP really close to ground... you will aways have a low voltage auto landing & RTH, these functionalities will never be deactivated.

This is for instance a a chart from a flight from my own Mavic Air 1... containing 4 graphs,

Red= height above HP
Green= Low battery auto landing percentage threshold
Blue= Distance from HP
Purple= Low battery RTH threshold percentage

The flight is straight out on a constant height, a turn around & the same path back to the HP. Note the lowest values for the Green & Purple in the beginning & end (Have placed a chart marker in the beginning where the lowest values start to increase... for my drone they will never be lower than 10% for landing & 15% for RTH.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
View attachment 171131
Nice plot!

I agree with everyone that learned how to stop the force landing by keeping the Stick up , but I also think the Battery Temp plays a part in the forced landing .

I know that if the Drone over heats it will immediately force land, but suspect that the Battery level and temp both play a part in the equation. But it definitly has no fixed value as others have stated.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.