DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Fell from Sky and 204 deg F Battery

I'm pretty sure it is going to be a battery issue.
I got it out of the tin can outside and put it in the aircraft--no lights at all.
I put it in the charger.
Won't charge.
All 4 lights blinking together 3 times, repeatedly, which I think equates to No Battery Detected although references in the manual are worded oddly.

Now I wish I'd had the presence of mind to video the aircraft where it lay, including the battery lights on the tail.
Might be a good suggestion for anyone who's aircraft goes down.

My guess is that photos wouldn't matter to DJI. DJI could use the .DAT file to get information. I believe you would be able to use your DJI Assistant app to get proprietary data from the drone, assuming a new battery would turn it on. I believe that file can also be uploaded to DJI if needed in the review process. The onboard data file(s) will have more information than transmitted to the phone.
DJI updates battery firmware as needed so my guess would be that DJI can access battery data to determine the problem if you return it.
Did you start the return/review process yet? Once you start it you will have options. If you don't like the options there is no cost. You may have to return it prepaid to DJI for evaluation. If there is a cost you can then pay or have the drone returned but may need to pay return postage. If the battery failed in flight my guess would be that DJI assumes all responsibility.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it is going to be a battery issue.
Your battery was fine up to the end of the recorded data for the flight.
It was not the cause of teh crash.
The drone lost power when the electrical connection was broken.
The battery was damaged in the crash impact and is now potentially dangerous.
You should be be very careful handling and storing it.
I got it out of the tin can outside and put it in the aircraft--no lights at all.
I put it in the charger.
Won't charge.
All 4 lights blinking together 3 times, repeatedly, which I think equates to No Battery Detected although references in the manual are worded oddly.
DON'T try to charge it or use it.

Note these warnings from the DJI battery safety guidelines:

3. Never use or charge swollen, leaky, or damaged batteries.
If your batteries are abnormal, contact DJI or a DJI authorized dealer for further assistance.

7. Never disassemble or pierce the battery in any way or the battery may leak, catch fire, or explode.

9. DO NOT use the battery if it was involved in a crash or heavy impact.

14. DO NOT drop or strike batteries. DO NOT place heavy objects on the batteries or charger. Avoid dropping batteries

Reactions: danwnz
Your battery was fine up to the end of the recorded data for the flight.
It was not the cause of teh crash.
The drone lost power when the electrical connection was broken.
The battery was damaged in the crash impact and is now potentially dangerous.
You should be be very careful handling and storing it.

DON'T try to charge it or use it.

Note these warnings from the DJI battery safety guidelines:

3. Never use or charge swollen, leaky, or damaged batteries.
If your batteries are abnormal, contact DJI or a DJI authorized dealer for further assistance.

7. Never disassemble or pierce the battery in any way or the battery may leak, catch fire, or explode.

9. DO NOT use the battery if it was involved in a crash or heavy impact.

14. DO NOT drop or strike batteries. DO NOT place heavy objects on the batteries or charger. Avoid dropping batteries
What do you mean by "electrical connection"? Between battery and drone?
If the battery had a sudden short, could it be that it was so sudden it didn't have a chance to record the event?

Definitely not using or trying to charge--just a diagnostic moment. Appreciate the concern!
Thanks

What do you mean by "electrical connection"? Between battery and drone?
If the battery had a sudden short, could it be that it was so sudden it didn't have a chance to record the event?
Yes .. the connection between battery and drone.
A physical disconnection is a lot more likely than an internal short.
The sudden end to the flight data suggests the battery probably became dislodged enough to break the connection.

If I was you, I wouldn't keep that battery in the house or anywhere it could start a fire.

The sudden end to the flight data suggests the battery probably became dislodged enough to break the connection.
That is an interesting thought. I don’t think the battery itself was physically dislodged in flight, though, as when found on the ground it was firmly seated and there were some lights on it….again, wish I’d had the presence of mind to record or note the lights—I don’t think it was typical, and don’t think it was the “too hot” blinker.
Thanks, as always.

I don’t think it was typical, and don’t think it was the “too hot” blinker.
There's no suggestion that the battery was hot before crashing.
It was at a normal healthy temperature when the drone fell and crashed a few seconds later.
The heat is a result of a dangerous chemical reaction when the battery was damaged by the crash impact.

Search lithium battery fires to see how dangerous a crash can be to the battery.

Reactions: Octisurfer

If I was you, I wouldn't keep that battery in the house or anywhere it could start a fire.
I wonder if the battery disengaged due to swelling and, therefore, the drone experiences a sudden power loss.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madkiwi