DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Mini 3 Pro for filmmaking (anamorphic) - Feedback required!

Captain Filmmaking

Reactions
Hi folks!

In this anamorphic car commercial demo shoot, I tried to match the Mini 3 Pro with my Sony cameras & SIRUIs anamorphic lens lineup.
For this I've equipped the Mini 3 Pro with Freewells anamorphic lens adapter and then tried to match the colors as good as I could.

What do you think of the aerial footage the sensor of the Mini 3 Pro delivered? Is it good enough for this kind of shoots or would a Mavic 3 Classic be the noticeable better choice and worth upgrading?

Thanks for the advice,
Ferdinand

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks great!

I think the Mini Pro looks great with the other Sony shots. Since I knew what to look for I can see a slight overall quality change but if if hadn't been told, I'd never see it and just assume it was an artistic decision. Sometimes the "artistic decision" explanation is used to cover up subpar assets but in this case, I think it's absolutley fine. It impresses me what the Mini will do. When my Inspire 2 or Mavic Platinum die, I'll likely try the Mini, since the new Inspire is priced for pros only now.

Really nice work.

Reactions: Captain Filmmaking
Nice. Might be Youtube, but the aerial shots seemed out of focus to me. Independently of artistic ways, I think the car should be sharp in these cases.

I'm not a expert by any stretch of the meaning but my taste in video production is a bit sharper and clearer then yours. Your editing, and pre-planning skills are amazing and right at the top with the best in my honest opinion.
I see I have a long ways to go to match this ! Great job overall !

I'm not a expert by any stretch of the meaning but my taste in video production is a bit sharper and clearer then yours. Your editing, and pre-planning skills are amazing and right at the top with the best in my honest opinion.
I see I have a long ways to go to match this ! Great job overall !
Thanks a lot - you made my day! :)

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Nice. Might be Youtube, but the aerial shots seemed out of focus to me. Independently of artistic ways, I think the car should be sharp in these cases.
Good eye! Yes, especially with DJI’s wide angle lens as well as with this Freewells anamorphic adapter, I noticed that the drone has a harder time to focus correctly.

In addition to that, the image was also softened in post, film grain was added and some cropping into the image was done for framing purposes.

Lovely. I was interested in shooting anamorphic and just ordered and received a 2 frewell anamorphic lenses (ND32,ND64) and a Ulazi Anamorphic lens as well with no ND filter. THese are for my Mavic Air 2 so I also will be shooting in D Cinelike as well. I also will be blending with FF Sony A73. I am by no means a professional and am just working on putting together someth shots for myself, family and friends. WOndering how tough it was to get the color grading close enough to the sony and if Manual or LUTS would be the way to go.

Lovely. I was interested in shooting anamorphic and just ordered and received a 2 frewell anamorphic lenses (ND32,ND64) and a Ulazi Anamorphic lens as well with no ND filter. THese are for my Mavic Air 2 so I also will be shooting in D Cinelike as well. I also will be blending with FF Sony A73. I am by no means a professional and am just working on putting together someth shots for myself, family and friends. WOndering how tough it was to get the color grading close enough to the sony and if Manual or LUTS would be the way to go.
Hi, it matches quite nicely in my opinion. I try to overexpose the drone footage a bit and I also use my Sony Luts from Mark Bone for both D-Cinelike and SLOG3. Depending on the amount of overexposure I reduce the LUT between 100% down to about 50% and start grading from there.

If the D-Cinelike footage is very dark, I do not really use a LUT but rather grade from scratch.

Best regards

Here’s a brief video on this topic.
Color Grading D-Cinelike and Slog3 - Do This!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ps: in most of my videos I use both D-Cinelike from my drones in combination with my SLOG3 content.

I don't know what "over expose a bit" means. Over exposure should be avoided in almost every case. Over exposure means, by definition, an entire loss of grey scale values. Pure white. If you have reflections off a surface that you don't care about then allowing them to be over exposed is just fine but the most common issue is over exposed clouds that result in a blank sheet of white and there is nothing that can be done about it. I don't shoot cinelike so I'm not sure how that compares to Dlog or DlogM but in all cases one should avoid over exposure as the problem is very noticeable and not desirable. Under exposure on the other hand results in blacks that have no grey scale value and our sense of the world is not so easily offended by deep shadows that we can't see into. In nearly all cases it is better to under expose than over expose. Of course the goal is proper exposure but there are times when the dynamic range of a scene is beyond the ability of our sensors to capture it all at that point we have a choice to make and in any kind of landscape, underexposing is the correct choice in virtually every situation. Shooting Dlog or DlogM is the best way to hopefully prevent the problem. I'll check out the video to learn about cinelike but I don't think any of my drones shoot that. One of them did at one time but now I think it has DlogM as an option.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stormy2024