DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro issues - my list

jphoto

Reactions
I have the Mini 3 Pro and RC controller package, some of this relates to the controller.
Here's the list so far.

1. WiFi connectivity. You need to access the Internet via WiFi to activate, but also to get firmware and database updates. If you change access points, like you're no longer near the original one, the wifi access point selection function is deeply buried or nonexistent. I haven't found it yet.

2. The drone is extremely slow to find GPS satellites as compared to the Air 2S. You can take of "without gps", but who want's to? It does eventually capture 21 satellites, but takes 2 minutes at least.

3. Firmware updates hang. 3 tries on one batter update. Finally successful, but scary.

4. The drone drifts off course or wanders during hover. Probably a GPS thing. Drifts I've had were drifting right off a straight flight course, and drifting down toward the ground. Both were compensated for with control input, and did not persist.

5. Video range is not great. I lost video completely (screen froze) during a flight at 150' alt, and under 1800' range, unobstructed (over water). Had video breakup on another flight also much less than 1800'.

6. RC controller screen is NOT bright enough to see in direct sunlight, as per claims. It's better than my iPhone, but still not bright enough. Also, this is not the RC Pro, as some might assume.

7. RC controller will not pair with just any other drone. No go for my Air 2S. It was my understanding, probably from a review, that the controller would work with the Air2 S, which was part of the motivation to get it. This could be a misunderstanding on my part, but the only drones shown for pairing are the Mini 3 and Mavic 3.

8. Documentation on both the drone and controller is sketchy. Very hard to find any info on the RC.

That said, I do like the Mini 3 and the controller. Gitches aside, its great to fly, and the controller is much easier to use than the standard one I got with the Air 2S used with my iPhone. I've been grabbing the Mini almost exclusively lately.

Reactions: Jam0ne
@jphoto ,well your time taken to acquire Sats is definitely different to what myself and many others are experiencing ,could be the area you are flying in of course ,at this time the only drones that can be pared to the DJI -RC are those using occusync 3 or 3+ ,it could be you have a faulty unit

I have the Mini 3 Pro and RC controller package, some of this relates to the controller.
Here's the list so far.

1. WiFi connectivity. You need to access the Internet via WiFi to activate, but also to get firmware and database updates. If you change access points, like you're no longer near the original one, the wifi access point selection function is deeply buried or nonexistent. I haven't found it yet.

2. The drone is extremely slow to find GPS satellites as compared to the Air 2S. You can take of "without gps", but who want's to? It does eventually capture 21 satellites, but takes 2 minutes at least.

3. Firmware updates hang. 3 tries on one batter update. Finally successful, but scary.

4. The drone drifts off course or wanders during hover. Probably a GPS thing. Drifts I've had were drifting right off a straight flight course, and drifting down toward the ground. Both were compensated for with control input, and did not persist.

5. Video range is not great. I lost video completely (screen froze) during a flight at 150' alt, and under 1800' range, unobstructed (over water). Had video breakup on another flight also much less than 1800'.

6. RC controller screen is NOT bright enough to see in direct sunlight, as per claims. It's better than my iPhone, but still not bright enough. Also, this is not the RC Pro, as some might assume.

7. RC controller will not pair with just any other drone. No go for my Air 2S. It was my understanding, probably from a review, that the controller would work with the Air2 S, which was part of the motivation to get it. This could be a misunderstanding on my part, but the only drones shown for pairing are the Mini 3 and Mavic 3.

8. Documentation on both the drone and controller is sketchy. Very hard to find any info on the RC.

That said, I do like the Mini 3 and the controller. Gitches aside, its great to fly, and the controller is much easier to use than the standard one I got with the Air 2S used with my iPhone. I've been grabbing the Mini almost exclusively lately.

The wifi settings are not deeply buried at all. Touch and pull down from the top of the screen twice and you'll see the wifi button at the top of the list, just below the time display.

@jphoto ,well your time taken to acquire Sats is definitely different to what myself and many others are experiencing ,could be the area you are flying in of course ,at this time the only drones that can be pared to the DJI -RC are those using occusync 3 or 3+ ,it could be you have a faulty unit
My reference is my Air 2S flown in the exact same location. Grabs GPS sats instantly. Mini 3 takes minutes. I think we can eliminate location as the problem.

Reactions: Jam0ne
The wifi settings are not deeply buried at all. Touch and pull down from the top of the screen twice and you'll see the wifi button at the top of the list, just below the time display.
Thanks. Never saw that screen before.

Reactions: MS Coast
Update on the range issue. Today I flew it to 2500', no obstructions. Video froze, low signal, 1 or 2 orange bars. The panic fix was to gain altitude, which only helped a bit.

Then, I flew the same course with my Air 2S. I got the same range, same low signal problem.

This is strange because I had MUCH better range with the Air 2S before, and the Mini 3 was notably worse. Today they were identical. I'm way out in the country, no interference sources near by that I know of, just lots of water and a few trees. I'm flying above the trees, VLOS maintained.

I've just got a Mini 3 Pro with the RC yesterday also and have an Air2s as well.

Hopefully we will see compatibility with between the RC and the Air 2s in future updates. OstiaLV seems to think it's coming in a future firmware update. It would be great to be able to use the RC with both so fingers crossed as it seems technically possible Thumbswayup

DJI RC will also come to the Air 2S per leaker

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60