DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro RC External Antennas IMO

YVRGUY

Reactions
My OCD got the best of me. I installed a pair of antennas on my Mini 3 Pro RC. After viewing many a YT video and reading the contributions of our own members on installation I felt good to go.

The main reason I did this was the lack of info on the test results…if any. I have a lot of respect for those that go first with an idea and share their R & D. So, this is not a dig.

So, installation was easy, start up was good, and off I went into the wild blue ✈️.

The Mini 3 flew just fine. In the side by side I used my Mini 2 with the RCN1 as a benchmark… it has ~ 100m distance over the Mini 3 with DJI RC when the signal weakens. When I did my varied flights all at 100 m I found the Mini 2 had better, more consistent signal when relying on reflection eg. flying on the opposite side of my house. The after market antennas on the Mini 3 could hit the signal mark, but could lose it as fast as it got it.

When it came to flying in LOV they both flew the same with the after markets going 150 m farther before signal fell.

So, after all this here is my opinion…and only mine. I removed the antennas and re installed the originals. I feel the difference in signal strength is not worthy of the modification. The stock antennas work best when pointed at the drone and the after market work better ONLY if you focus on its direction…stock antennas have a much broader width and height regarding signal…no fussing with the antennas positions. The DJI RC is a great, sleek and practical design…once you install those antennas it looks like 💩 and is now combersome with having to remove and store those antennas . The last item and most important…warranty.

Like I said, I’m OCD. I never fly BLOV and both my drones can reach those/my limits without losing any signal 👍. BTW, my DJI RC now has two 1/4” cooling holes to keep my RC from overheating 🥵

Sorry for the lack of technical jargon…it is what it is. 87D88AEE-87D2-4D87-A43E-411266131690.jpeg
Hey, what happened to you? What’s with the ears? 😂

Especially now that the Mini 3 Pro is also compatible with the RC Pro which has 5x the signal strength of the stock RC-N1!
I’m ok with 100% signal in LOV with the DJI RC, but I won’t compare a set of $16 antennas versus a DJI PRO RC 💸. I just wanted to see it for myself. BTW…that Mini 2 is still kicking butt out there with its RC-N1. 👍

I’m ok with 100% signal in LOV with the DJI RC, but I won’t compare a set of $16 antennas versus a DJI PRO RC 💸. I just wanted to see it for myself. BTW…that Mini 2 is still kicking butt out there with its RC-N1. 👍
Considering the $2000 Mavic 3 is also sold with the RC-N1 (unless you pay $1200 more separately for the RC Pro), for still shooters, who don't need to simultaneously zoom and adjust the gimbal like video shooters do, the RC-N1 still gets the job done in a small, ergonomic package!

Mine looks okay (I've ordered a proper screen matte protector) with the borrowed RC1 antennae and the signal is 80% better in a built-up urban environment than those newly designed box things DJI put in it.
DSC_0124.JPGDSC_0125.JPGDSC_0126.JPG

Mine looks okay (I've ordered a proper screen matte protector) with the borrowed RC1 antennae and the signal is 80% better in a built-up urban environment than those newly designed box things DJI put in it.
View attachment 154804View attachment 154805View attachment 154806
First, I like the skin you applied. With regards to the internal antennas in the Mini 3… they work just fine in the area I tested them (see pic). As I mentioned, I don’t fly BLOV and that’s OK. When I fly in the rural areas I know both my Mini 2 and Mini 3 would fly away for much greater distances no doubt.

B21F3404-D201-4294-9126-C35E9E00A36A.jpeg
Steveston, looking north…YVR (Vancouver airport) at the top of frame.

Safe flying SpinitUp👍

Reactions: SpinItUp
Safe flying SpinitUp👍
Trouble being in a CE-ruled country the signal isn't that great to start with.
There is an FCC hack with the standard controller (we know) & app but who wants to break the rules ;) (I don't like causing interference to other radio waves just for my pleasure!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato