DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro with Goggles, but without motion controller possible?

Apparently there are some folks who have gotten the RC to work instead of MC2 but DJI does not recommend and ymmv. MC2 actually works pretty good.

eta: Changed it from rc2 to rc; getting it confused

Last edited:
Does anyone know a way to fly the Mini 3 Pro with goggles, but without the motion controller?
I have heard about a HDMI connection, but this is not what I want.
Hi Papa Echo
It is possible to fly the Mini 3 Pro with the Goggles Integra /2 and the DJI RC (or the RCN1).

Disclaimer: All the below is performed entirely at your own risk as this is a workaround.

1. Make sure all your devices have the latest firmware installed.
2. Ensure that you have already successfully flown your Mini 3 Pro with your Goggles 2 / Integra and the MC2 which confirms that all are “talking” to one another properly - you should have completed all the pairing steps required previously.
Proceed as follows:
3. Start the Mini 3 Pro
4. Start your DJI RC or RCN1 and ensure a connection - pair with the drone if needed if the drone remains bound to the Goggles from a previous flight.
5. Take off and hover a short distance away and check all normal controls.
6. Start your Goggles and wait for a picture to show which will be the video feed from the drone. You do not need to bind the Goggles to the drone to be able to fly.
7. Your DJI RC (or viewing device if using the RCN1) will change to a warning screen with no video feed. Read the warning!
8. You will be able to fly your Mini 3 Pro with your goggles by using the DJI RC (or RCN1) to control the drone.
9. Some have warned that the RTH cannot be cancelled when flying in this mode so beware of your take off location and fly safely.

Hopefully DJI will release an update to enable this function formally.

This YouTube video (not mine) explains the workaround in some detail:

Cheers

I have not had the time to try the goggles nixing the motion 2 controller in favor of the RC controller. I wonder, does it still require you to tether the phone to the goggles or not with the latest firmware and Remote ID requirement. The RTH does not work too terribly well with the motion controller 2 goggles combo, since apparently the whole system working together has invalid position information, if the Remote ID problem is taken into account. My own experience in RTH with the Motion COntroller 2 is that it does a fairly poor home point definition, usually several meters off center. So realistically , I have to push the goggles up on my forehead and land the drone with the Mark 1 eyeball system. Otherwise it will end up in trees, roofs, cars, etc if left to its own devices. So my point to this is, will using it with the RC give it position data that is accurate for a RTH and Remote ID?

I have not had the time to try the goggles nixing the motion 2 controller in favor of the RC controller. I wonder, does it still require you to tether the phone to the goggles or not with the latest firmware and Remote ID requirement. The RTH does not work too terribly well with the motion controller 2 goggles combo, since apparently the whole system working together has invalid position information, if the Remote ID problem is taken into account. My own experience in RTH with the Motion COntroller 2 is that it does a fairly poor home point definition, usually several meters off center. So realistically , I have to push the goggles up on my forehead and land the drone with the Mark 1 eyeball system. Otherwise it will end up in trees, roofs, cars, etc if left to its own devices. So my point to this is, will using it with the RC give it position data that is accurate for a RTH and Remote ID?
Good points - I'm not a big user of RTH so haven't tried it with the Goggles Integra and DJI RC or MC2 but can give it a go and see. Will report back. If RTH engages I usually fly back and land manually anyway. I'll also try switching off the Goggles and see if the DJI RC controls and RTH then perform normally again.
As we do not have RID in the UK yet I've not investigated this aspect.

My own experience in RTH with the Motion COntroller 2 is that it does a fairly poor home point definition, usually several meters off center. So realistically , I have to push the goggles up on my forehead and land the drone with the Mark 1 eyeball system. Otherwise it will end up in trees, roofs, cars, etc if left to its own devices. So my point to this is, will using it with the RC give it position data that is accurate for a RTH and Remote ID?
The Mini 3 series do not have the Precision Landing feature, so RTH is subject to GPS accuracy limitations, on both takeoff, and again when positioning for Landing. As such the position error on landing from actual takeoff can be as much as 2x GPS accuracy under the best of conditions, of 6-8ft. That's with a minimum GPS PDOP.

Under poorer conditions – which is most of the time – the errors are much larger.

Keep in mind that recording the Home Point and then positioning over it on return are 100% a function on-board the drone... the RC, Goggles, or MC2 play no part. Gerry-rigging the DJI RC or RCN1 to fly FPV will have no impact on RTH landing accuracy.

If you want to land within inches of takeoff every time you'll need to get a drone that supports Precision Landing, and properly set it up it on each takeoff.

Good points - I'm not a big user of RTH
In addition to being a convenience to come back, it's an important insurance policy if you want you drone back in the case of an RC or smartphone failure, or simply losing signal because you fly behind a tree. Which happens. A lot 😁

Goggles 2 don't support FPV on the mini or Mavic 3.
Sorry I meant FPV as in using Goggles instead of a Remote screen. At least that's what we used to call it back in the day. Tons of people wanted goggles compatibility so they could have that FPV experience meaning you felt like you were on board the aircraft as it was flying, not specifically the banking features, etc.

Anyway, my point to the OP, when choosing goggles for your compatible mini or mavic, I would choose Integra over 2.

Interesting, why would the choice be Integra over Goggles 2? The Goggles 2 are doing the job and seem to have better specs over the (lighter, better FOV, convenient diopter adjustment), or am I missing something? The Remote ID is an issue with DJI integration at the moment and would be an issue with all goggles and the Motion 2. The RTH accuracy issue, well the Mini 3 Pro seems to do far better at RTH with just the RC controller and My Mavic 3T Enterprise seems to be only slightly better, unless I have the RTK module installed, then it is amazing. Just when the Goggles and Motion 2 are used with the Mini 3 Pro are used it does a fairly poor RTH. When I return to home next week, I shall try the Goggles/Motion with either the Mavic 3 Pro or the straight Mavic 3. See how that performs in the RTH. Though, it would also be interesting to try the Goggles with the RC, or see if the RC Pro works as well.

Interesting, why would the choice be Integra over Goggles 2? The Goggles 2 are doing the job and seem to have better specs over the (lighter, better FOV, convenient diopter adjustment), or am I missing something? The Remote ID is an issue with DJI integration at the moment and would be an issue with all goggles and the Motion 2. The RTH accuracy issue, well the Mini 3 Pro seems to do far better at RTH with just the RC controller and My Mavic 3T Enterprise seems to be only slightly better, unless I have the RTK module installed, then it is amazing. Just when the Goggles and Motion 2 are used with the Mini 3 Pro are used it does a fairly poor RTH. When I return to home next week, I shall try the Goggles/Motion with either the Mavic 3 Pro or the straight Mavic 3. See how that performs in the RTH. Though, it would also be interesting to try the Goggles with the RC, or see if the RC Pro works as well.
I have the Goggles2/RC Motion 2 combo that I use with my Mavic 3 Classic. I can confirm that RTH and precision landing work perfectly with it. As mentioned above, RTH is a function within the aircraft itself and is not dependent on or affected by your particular controller.

I have both goggles and I will trying them again side by side with the mini 3 pro. I don't find the spec to be advantageous with the goggle 2 over integra. When buying I recommend the Integra because one of these days (like the Goggle v2), you're going to get additional functionality from DJI with the Integra that you don't get from Goggles 2.

2. Ensure that you have already successfully flown your Mini 3 Pro with your Goggles 2 / Integra and the MC2 which confirms that all are “talking” to one another properly - you should have completed all the pairing steps required previously.
What can I do if I don't have the Motion Controller 2? Does it still work.?
The DJI Integra just arrived today.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman