DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 range issues solved?

The issue with the poor range is totally due to the M3P drone itself. The RC remote has been used with other drones & there has been no loss of range on those drones.
In my experience, the mini is very sensitive to the orientation of itself, and the controller. Putting external antennas on the controller does make a difference.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Very few people would have backup power to run their modems.
I've got my network on a UPS... I think you'd be surprised how common that is. UPS's are cheap.

I've got my network on a UPS... I think you'd be surprised how common that is. UPS's are cheap.
An UPS is not going to last for very long during a power outage LOL. And yes, I know lots of people use them. I also know that many people do not. I have no stats, but I would bet that only about 5 percent of people have an UPS.

My point was....that it would be interesting to see what it would look like with "LESS" interference

An UPS is not going to last for very long during a power outage LOL.
You must not have considered how little power a modem draws.

I have an APC UPS I bought 4 years ago for U$69, and it powers our cable modem an wifi network for hours and hours. I've never had a power outage outlast it.
I have no stats, but I would bet that only about 5 percent of people have an UPS.
Maybe, I don't know, and it rather irrelevant. Powerbanks capable of powering the modem have to be included as well.

Oh yeah... LOL.

You must not have considered how little power a modem draws.

I have an APC UPS I bought 4 years ago for U$69, and it powers our cable modem an wifi network for hours and hours. I've never had a power outage outlast it.

Maybe, I don't know, and it rather irrelevant. Powerbanks capable of powering the modem have to be included as well.

Oh yeah... LOL.
Do you think that in a major city, if there was a major power outage that last 24-48 hours...it would or not make a difference in RFI? That is all I am saying. I believe the RFI would be reduced.

It is relevant how many people do uses UPS or power back ups because that is the whole point of the conversation. (my post at least LOL) :)

Last edited:
Do you think that in a major city, if there was a major power outage that last 24-48 hours...it would or not make a difference in RFI? That is all I am saying. I believe the RFI would be reduced.
Haven't disputed that.

Reactions: Siam
I was talking specifically about screen brightness, and stating a few facts about that comparison is not "smearing". There are a lot of posts in this forum from people not satisfied with the brightness of the RC. They love other things about it, but not that

I already had the Tripltek so it was an easy choice to go for the RC-N1

it's also not some 10 minute ordeal to deploy the Tripltek. Maybe a minute; less if it's already attached to the controller....which it already is when I go out to fly

now, if you're making a substantial hike into a place then the light weight and portability of the RC would be appealing

by the way, in another thread jedi2155 posted a comparison of overall screen size:

View attachment 154318

I have a 4 year Motorola phone that has an actual area of 15.12 square inches. The Tripltek 8 has an area of 29.24 square inches. That's 2.26 times larger than the RC
I'll give a plug for the iPad Mini 6 here. Screen area is 31.72 square inches. It only has 500 nits of brightness, but I've always been able to see fine with it by standing in the shade or turning my body in an orientation that shades it. Even in direct sunlight, I would call it "useable." It has the added benefit of being a beast at photo and video editing. It renders video faster than my Macbook Pro! It pops right into the holder on the controller using a small extension clip that clips in between the extension arms on the clamp.

A friend was given a new Ipad Pro 3rd gen 11". The one with the M1 chip. He had no use for it, so I bought it from him at a great price. He never registered it, and still has full warranty. I mainly bought it because my Iphone is owned by the company I work for, and they are not really keen on me have gigs of drone videos on there for them to backup.

The screen is rated at 600 nits. I have never had an issue seeing the screen, ever. I rarely shoot in the middle of a sunny day, the lighting is just too harsh. I did try it out one day in the middle of the day, and it was just fine. I bought a sun shade for it, but have yet to use it.

This thing is phenomenal, and I have never been a big fan of Apple products. It fits on the RC-N1 controller unmodified. It is lightweight, and the size is perfect. I use it with my A2, but I prefer it over my DJI RC on my M3 Pro in just about every way. Pulling video off the drone to it works flawlessly, and the video processing power does everything I need it to do, and then some. My wife handles that part, and she loves this thing.

I use it daily as a tablet, and a laptop replacement. Very happy with it.

While doing a lot of flying around/along my local beach in a rural area (except for the strip of beachfront homes) I've gotten as far as >5 miles with my M3P & RC controller; for me, it's most often been the RTH due to battery rather than signal strength, but 1 thing I've found consistently is that the farther away I fly the drone, the less I can get a good signal the lower I fly.

So, at extreme ranges, I need to fly it at my maximum altitude to maintain signal (for me, that's ~400').

1nce the warranty is up, I'll be doing a mod for external antennas, not because I want/need to fly farther, but that I want to do so at a lower altitude.

There are a few things which I'd like to get closer to get better pictures/video, & as it is, I have to try to do so using the relatively limited zoom function & I'm not a fan of digital zoom.

Attachments

• DJI_0163.JPG
    DJI_0163.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • DJI_0165.JPG
    DJI_0165.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
It regularly makes me 🙄 when people complain about signal expectations that are entirely unreasonable, for some reason expecting DJI to perform miracles.

Is anyone willing to complain that they can't get a good signal trying to fly their drone above ground while they sit in their car in underground parking level B3 (three floors below the surface)? No? Why not? Do they have some reason to expect the radio signal NOT to reach the drone?

Anyone get the not-so-secret point here?

It regularly makes me 🙄 when people complain about signal expectations that are entirely unreasonable, for some reason expecting DJI to perform miracles.

Is anyone willing to complain that they can't get a good signal trying to fly their drone above ground while they sit in their car in underground parking level B3 (three floors below the surface)? No? Why not? Do they have some reason to expect the radio signal NOT to reach the drone?

Anyone get the not-so-secret point here?
I agree. Too many people expect the Mini 3 (or any other drone for that matter) to perform miracles. I personally have found that the spec listed for DJI are fairly close. I find they are more off when it comes to an urban enviroment. With the antenna mod, in my experience, it brings connectivity up to the specs listed by DJI.

I found a place today to try a very unobstructed area and I was very happy to see a good signal 12000 ft +. I never envision flying that far, but I know I can LOL

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS