DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 shipped with no IOS Device Connectivity

Got the antenna to telescope up, and inside that recessed area, there are two sockets already connected together by a short length of cable terminating in a variant of the USB connector. The function of that cable and those two connectors remains a mystery for now, so I just left it as is until I have a better understanding of this new-to-me controller.
The left socket(looking from the joystick side of the controller) is a blank holder for the end of the cable. Pull that end out. The other side(right socket) is the live connection. Pull the left side out, it may be the Lightning connector. Here is the link to the manual - DJI Mini 3 - Download Center - DJI

It is an open-box deal but I had no idea it would NOT be ready to fly until I placed further online orders and waited for weeks for those missing items to arrive. I am tempted to write a truthful review about that seller, but cannot bring myself to do so because he shipped the drone very quickly, which was a nice change in comparison to previous online purchases I've made on eBay. If only the seller had informed me that several cables were missing, I'd have ordered them at the same time.

I've already got a standard USB to lightning cable that I use for all my other drones, but the absence of a standard USB connector on the RC-N1 controller really complicates matters. I am not a happy camper at this point. My Mini 3 experience has been decidedly underwhelming thus far
By "standard USB connector" I'm assuming you mean a USB A connector? Like this:

1387-04.jpg

If so, you will need to upgrade cables as most everything is migrating to USB C now. Anything new will most likely have a USB C port instead of a USB A port or a micro USB port.

with regard to the location of the control cable socket see the attached photo showing a microUSB cable ready for use.
with regards to the manual
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_3/UM/20230328/DJI_Mini_3_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf page 9.
if by chance you have the mini 3 pro
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_3_Pro/UM/20230328/DJI_Mini_3_Pro_User_Manual_v1.6_EN.pdf page 10

With regards to the app for Android or IOS
DJI Mini 3 Pro - Downloads - DJI
though note, for Android, you will most likely have to authorise the installation from "an unknown source" or words to that effect. MAKE SURE the "one time only " or "for this installation only is ticked"

Attachments

• 20230407_193543.jpg
    20230407_193543.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This clarification is appreciated, sir. I am downloading DJI Fly on my Android device and will try to fly this drone with that device first thing tomorrow. I'd have preferred to fly the drone with my iPad due to its larger screen, but at this point, any means to get this drone airborne will be better than having it gather dust brand new on a shelf.
Hopefully your android device is compatible with the Fly app. I think the Ipad would be. I'd be getting a hold of the seller and see if they'll ship you the missing cables.

Just as a matter of interest was this in a sealed box?
If not and if you have manage to get the app installed on a phone and the phone connected to controller and everything switched on and running, are you being asked to activate the drone?

Last edited:
I must confess that myt
By "standard USB connector" I'm assuming you mean a USB A connector? Like this:

1387-04.jpg

If so, you will need to upgrade cables as most everything is migrating to USB C now. Anything new will most likely have a USB C port instead of a USB A port or a micro USB port.
Yes that is the connector I incorrectly referred to a a "standard USB" connector

Just as a matter of interest was this in a sealed box?
If not and if you have manage to get the app installed on a phone and the phone connected to controller and everything switched on and running, are you being asked to activate the drone?
The drone as shipped in its bag with no box present at all. Having trouble downloading DJI Fly on my antique Android phone, and I hope to sort that out shortly with a second download attempt

The drone as shipped in its bag with no box present at all. Having trouble downloading DJI Fly on my antique Android phone, and I hope to sort that out shortly with a second download attempt
You have to get it direct from DJI but if your android phone is an antique I can pretty well guarantee you it won't be compatible.

You have to get it direct from DJI but if your android phone is an antique I can pretty well guarantee you it won't be compatible.
Hopefully, I will be able to acquire the right cables to use my iPad because I do really prefer that larger screen to my Android phone's small screen that tasks my poor vision especially in sunlight

Reactions: Tufargon
What phone?
The FLY app has minimum requirements of a 64bit processer or system or something like that, if your Android phone is 32 bit it will not workwith the FLY App FULL STOP.
Even if the phone is 64bit you may need an older version of the app, 'old' versions are available at
Download DJI Fly APKs for Android - APKMirror
BUT the mini 3 may require an app "from version x.y.z onwards", I have no idea if and what that version might be, others would have to address that.
Hopefully, I will be able to acquire the right cables to use my iPad because I do really prefer that larger screen to my Android phone's small screen that tasks my poor vision especially in sunlight
For clarity, how many controller to phone cables have you found?
Have you checked in the recess under the antennae, if there was a cable in there have you checked the nature of the connectors at EACH END of the cable?
USB-C is an oval shaped connector.
I presume you know what a USB type A connector looks like, ditto micro USB and lightning, is that correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquaelie
Got the antenna to telescope up, and inside that recessed area, there are two sockets already connected together by a short length of cable terminating in a variant of the USB connector. The function of that cable and those two connectors remains a mystery for now, so I just left it as is until I have a better understanding of this new-to-me controller.
Pull the one to the right out of its socket. That's the end that connects to your phone or tablet. I will probably be a usb-c but at this point who knows.

For illustrative purposes:

usb-cables.jpg

Pull the one to the right out of its socket. That's the end that connects to your phone or tablet. I will probably be a usb-c but at this point who knows.
He'd do better to remove both connecters, whch socket/plug is the "right hand" socket depends on your perspective.

I get the impression he has found three controller to phone cables. All short cables. If there is a longer one that is USB type A male to USB-C male then that is the charging cable for both the drone and controller

If correct I would suggest he lays all three on a sheet of white paper and labels them a, b. c. and the ends d, e, f, g ,h ,i. Then photographs the cables, ensures it is a good clear photo and if so posts the photo here.
We can then identify the cables for him and tell him which end goes where.

Last edited:
I must confess that myt

Yes that is the connector I incorrectly referred to a a "standard USB" connector
Well, it was the "original", so I kind of assumed it is what you were calling "standard", but I just wanted to make sure. There are so many different USB connectors, it gets kind of confusing these days. According to this:

there are 9 unique types of USB connectors, A, B, C, Mini A, Mini B, Micro A, Micro B, Micro B Superspeed and Lightning (which is Apple specific). I had forgotten about some of those....

Crazy!!!

Edit: I see someone posted basically the same thing earlier.....

For illustrative purposes:
That could be slightly confusing because there is a micro USB type A plug and socket they are rectangular and DJI use them on the earlier Mavic and Conservative Nihilist has already encountered them, if he noticed the difference.
Better perhaps this wiki page

Reactions: MavicMover
I hope you also realize that you need an adaptor to hold your iPad to the controller. there are lots of those around as well. Which iPad is it?

Reactions: Torque
I purchased a brand spanking new mini 3 Pro from Costco that was advertised to have all the cables for Android and an iPhone included. What it came with was a cable for micro USB and USB type c. No iPhone cable. I don't use apple products so I didn't care enough to make a stink of it for the rc-n1 controller I was never going to use. They totally package these things missing advertised hardware.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan