DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3

Reactions: CJG
The Mini 3 pro has a better camera sensor, Obstacle avoidance and active track. I also think there will be more features to come (eg waypoints have been introduces in the Mavic 3 and could be added to the Mini 3 Pro). If you can afford the difference I think it would be worth it for you.
Mini3pro has the same sensor as the mini3. Not sure where the idea that it is "better" comes from. The firmware on the Pro gives you more complete access to the sensor's capabilities.

The Mini 3 pro has a better camera sensor, Obstacle avoidance and active track. I also think there will be more features to come (eg waypoints have been introduces in the Mavic 3 and could be added to the Mini 3 Pro). If you can afford the difference I think it would be worth it for you.
Thanks @Tolly: I am certainly saving up for the Mini 3 Pro (and FlyMore Kit).

I think that these sub-250g drones are the way to go: fewer restrictions on flight

Reactions: BroomRider
Mini3pro has the same sensor as the mini3. Not sure where the idea that it is "better" comes from. The firmware on the Pro gives you more complete access to the sensor's capabilities.
Thanks @scro. I guess that if you have more complete access to the sensor’s capabilities, then the sensor is subjectively better

Reactions: scro
It looks like you've already decided the pro version suits your needs better, but since I stumbled on this fairly comprehensive youtube video that specifically looks at the differences I thought I'd share it here too:

It looks like you've already decided the pro version suits your needs better, but since I stumbled on this fairly comprehensive youtube video that specifically looks at the differences I thought I'd share it here too:

Thanks for this @scro

I’ll watch even though I think the Pro is probably the one I’ll go for (I already have a Mini 2 so I want to get additional capabilities for my money!)

I got my mini3 pro in August so there weren't 2 versions to choose from, but if I did have a choice I'd have gone for the pro. For me the big benefits of it are the active tracking, spotlight and hyperlapse. Obstacle avoidance isn't a big deal for me, except for during active tracking.

If you've already got a Mini2 then the key improvement the mini3 (non pro) brings is a better camera (better dynamic range and low-light capability). The Mini3 Pro adds in a few further improvements, for sure, and it probably the better upgrade, assuming your budget can comfortably accommodate either.

Last edited:
(similarly the old Mini 1 and Mini 2 had the same hardware, but only the mini 2 gave RAW output and 4k video.)
Not so if you include the entire aircraft and not just the camera, which I think you should.

Among other differences, the 2 has more powerful motors. This proved to be probably the most significant difference, as there were far too many blow-aways (as opposed to flyaways) with the mini 1.

I've been told hyperlapse on the Pro to be choppy in anything other than perfectly still air, so if you're fine with complete manual control and shooting DNG, this is a crazy good value over the Pro.
I challenge that. I've done dozens of hyperlapses on my M3P and they've all been trouble free. Plenty done with some variable wind.

Reactions: CJG and Joe Horn
Thanks @scro. I guess that if you have more complete access to the sensor’s capabilities, then the sensor is subjectively better
No, the drone is subjectively better. The sensor is the same.

You logic is that the exact same tires on a car with ABS are better than the ones on a car without ABS because the first car maintains traction and control when slamming on the brakes.

Not so if you include the entire aircraft and not just the camera, which I think you should.

Among other differences, the 2 has more powerful motors. This proved to be probably the most significant difference, as there were far too many blow-aways (as opposed to flyaways) with the mini 1.
Indeed I was just specifically referring to the camera, for both mini1/mini2 and mini3/mini3p comparisons. Other hardware aspects of the drone are different, but the respective cameras on the compared models are differentiated by software only.

Incidentally the mini1 performs significantly better in wind if max tilt limits are increased. It has the power reserves to cope

its an entry level drone with older technology (occusync 2 )and lack of OA for those who just want a basic model at a more affordable price
it has similar flight characteristics to the Mini3 pro ,as far as control is concerned ,but lacks a lot of the auto flight modes of the pro,
and of course a lesser camera to some extent
and of course as with all things DJI, the timing of the release just before Christmas ,is another great marketing stroke of genius
Funny how they put 10-12 km distance between the 2, yet it can’t even beat the mini 2 in a range test 😂

Incidentally the mini1 performs significantly better in wind if max tilt limits are increased. It has the power reserves to cope
Just checking, your talking about using the hacks app to make those changes, not through a supported interface in Fly, right?

I don't have a Mini 1...

The Mini 3 pro has a better camera sensor,

Do you have independent source for this? Its the first ive heard.

Rather, I've read elsewhere that it's exactly the same sensor, which makes much more sense.

I also think there will be more features to come (eg waypoints have been introduces in the Mavic 3 and could be added to the Mini 3 Pro).
Nope. Will never happen.

The Mavic 3 will be the last consumer model that gets WP.

The Mini 3 differs from the Pro in omitting obstacle avoidance, hyperlapse functionality, most of the preset JPG profiles (vivid," etc.) and caps 4K video at 30 fps vs 60.

No 48MP stills either. Limited to 12MP.

I've been told hyperlapse on the Pro to be choppy in anything other than perfectly still air, so if you're fine with complete manual control and shooting DNG, this is a crazy good value over the Pro.
I dispute this. I haven't had a bad hyperlapse yet, I shoot them a lot, often under gusty/windy conditions... That's usually the case when shooting cloud evolution, for example.

I try to grab cloud hyperlapses whenever it's convenient as stock footage. You don't realize how useful/valuable footage like that is – until 2 seconds of boiling clouds is EXACTLY what will make your video cool.

Reactions: TheRock
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d