DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro, Air 3, and Air 3S... RID, FAA, Ban, Registration, and Performance

Considering the RID/registration requirements and performance, and the potential ban, which drone?

• Mini 4 Pro

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Air 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Air 3S

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

mstgkillr

Reactions
I understand the Air 3S is likely to be released as early as September 2024. I currently have a mint condition Air 2, so I am in no rush to purchase, but hope to get something new by the end of the year. I am currently looking at the Mini 4 Pro, Air 3, and now the leaked Air 3S.

I am concerned about the somewhat recent (September 2023) FAA rules changes and the Countering CCP Drones Act, and how each impact my privacy, safety, and continued use of my drones. I have no problem with the TRUST certification (I already have it) or the previous FAA registration.

My primary concerns are the following:
  • I strictly abide by all drone rules and regulations, with one exception... line of sight. Like everyone else, it doesn't take much for my drone to get lost in sky. Once it's lost, what difference is 100 yards or miles (I don't go that far)? Drones >250g are required to broadcast RID, which give away both the location of the pilot and the UAV, which I assume could be used to determine the distance between the two, and confirm line of sight was lost. Is this something FAA or others currently monitor? I'm also not wild about giving everyone the ability to find my location, just incase they are up to no good. I've also read of all drones within a certain radius of an event getting flagged through RID and getting a nasty letter from the FAA.
  • I do not know enough about the Countering CCP Drones Act to know if it's targeting only DJI or all drones regardless of weight. Is it focusing on drones >250g, leaving the lighter Mini 4 Pro alone?
Only considering flight/camera performance and my typical use case, I would purchase the Air 3 or Air 3S. However, due to the above, I am leaning towards the Mini4 Pro.

Air 3S for sure and if it hasn't launched yet, I would go with the Mini 4 Pro because personally, I believe the Air 3 is no longer a top pick for several reasons.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyberWizard