DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 with Goggles & Motion Controller - What's the experience like?

Hands Down

Reactions
Now that the M4P firmware supports the Goggles Integra and Motion Controller 2, I've been toying with the idea of picking them up.

Is anyone using these with the Mini 4 Pro? I'm interested in your opinion on what the experience is like. I've never flown an FPV before. Given that the Mini 4 is a cinematic drone and will have different flight characteristics than the Avata or another cinewhoop, can it still be a fairly thrilling flight? Is it just going to be a gateway drug to an FPV?

I have tried to get a sense from YouTube videos, but I haven't found a lot of them featuring using the Mini 4 like this. And a lot of the ones that do feature footage from a pretty high altitude. This kind of high altitude footage, from a third person perspective, doesn't really look that different from footage shot when using an RC2 controller (although the first person experience is likely quite different).

Any thoughts to share? Have you considered this upgrade worth what you spent on it? Does it add a big fun factor to your M4P flights?

Reactions: Ancient Aviator
My opinion is I think you noticed it. Fly the M4P one or twice or three times this way and that's about it; go back to regular method. From what I've heard, it's the MC2 that is the weak link. However, those who like it point out the immersive features of the goggles. I suggest you skip this and go straight to Avata; it's a better FPV experience anyway.

Is anyone using these with the Mini 4 Pro? I'm interested in your opinion on what the experience is like. I've never flown an FPV before. Given that the Mini 4 is a cinematic drone and will have different flight characteristics than the Avata or another cinewhoop, can it still be a fairly thrilling flight?

Never having flown a true FPV drone like an Avata? A bit. No comparison, though. I find it most useful on the Mini 4P with head tracking as a "look around" technology.

I use it more for a "passenger" while I do the flying VLOS. They can look around.

Is it just going to be a gateway drug to an FPV?

Yes. I fly my Avata 75% of all flight hours now.

The Mini 4P is interesting to fly with goggles and the MC2, especially if you've never flown FPV before. But it can't hold a candle to the experience with a drone designed for FPV flight. There's nothing like shooting a 1ft wide tree trunk fork at 30mph, something you can confidently do with an Avata, but would be insane to try with a Mini 4P.

Clip one side of that fork with a prop and the 4P is probably headed to DJI for repair. The Avata, if it doesn't recover and just keep flying, is likely on the ground near the base of the tree, undamaged. You might be able to flip it over with "turtle mode" and get back in the air without even going over there. I've done it successfully a number of times.

Thanks! This is more or less what I suspected, and it sounds like what I probably really want is an Avata.
I use it more for a "passenger" while I do the flying VLOS. They can look around.
Oh, that's cool. I didn't know you could pair goggles and RC to the M4P simultaneously. That's actually a pretty nice use case if you have someone with you on a flight so its not so boring for them.

Reactions: Ancient Aviator
I didn't know you could pair goggles and RC to the M4P simultaneously.
You cannot.

Two googles (using broadcast mode) will allow one person to fly and a second person to look around using head tracking. Head tracking will *only* work with the motion controller, it will not work with the standard RC.

Two googles (using broadcast mode) will allow one person to fly and a second person to look around using head tracking. Head tracking will *only* work with the motion controller, it will not work with the standard RC.
Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification!

You cannot.

Or, the cheap way, plug your smartphone into the goggles and run Fly. You can then see what the goggles are displaying. I did try audience mode the other day with the integra as primary and old Goggles V2 as audience, and it worked pretty well.

Only the Motion Controller is supported with goggles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc