DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini drone with NO GPS/Geofence and dedicated SD card?

WolfSpring

Reactions
I am looking for a small drone that stores the video to the SD card. I love the Tello but I'm not happy with the footage to my phone, I think I'm in a high wi-fi area and I've tried the extender and three different devices and I get hiccups in my video so I want dedicated SD card, I also want either no GPS or no Geofencing if it has GPS, I'm not trying to break any laws, I want to fly in my house and do videos, but I live on a military base and even the tinfoil on the mini has issues when it gets near windows. And if possible, though not a deal breaker, dedicated controller, or the option of a controller, that does not need any kind of phone. The tello you need to link it to the phone and it's not the greatest for controlling. The tello and the parrot mambo are awesome, but as I said the video not so much. My mambo doesn't have the camera. I've been looking at some of the holy stone models as they are very inexpensive, but their video quality isn't great at all. What I want may not exist, but I'll take close enough. I might get a cheaper easy to fly drone with more payload than the tello and mambo and put a gopro on it, but not even sure what is good enough for indoor flight for that either. I'll take 720 for quality for what I'm doing.

I'm not understanding why you can't use the Mavic Mini for what you want to do ?
Does having it receiving a GPS signal cause problems on the base ?

Any drone with a good camera on a 2 or 3 axis gimbal is going to have gps for stability by default

So either no GPS or no GeoFencing...
Well, as Iannes said just about any drone with a 2-3 axis gimbal nowadays will also include gps. However, DJI is the only manufacturer that I know of that uses GeoFencing. So if you choose a non-Dji drone you *should* be ok. Quality may not be on par with DJI models but thats your choice.
I would suggest doing a search on Amazon for the features you want and read the reviews, find youtube reviews, etc.

Thank you both. On base we are under restricted geofencing. I put the tinfoil on the mini but is a hassle and doesn't always work well when flying near windows it will sometimes receive a GPS signal and force land. One of the things I am trying to do is fly from the front door through our "sitting room" into our front room and out the back door we have a half wall between the two rooms and I want to show the kids playing video games one kid studying at the kitchen table and some minor activities. I'm dabbling in making some movies, mainly family stuff, no blockbuster delusions here, but When I tried it with the tello and I got huge jumps in the video. And the hassle of transferring from my phone after ever few shots as it doesn't have a lot of internal memory and you can't record to the SD card. I got the mini to do it once and as I got the back sliding door it received GPS and landed. I've even played with a zip line to do it, but it wasn't successful lol.

I use my tello with a gamesir T1d controller for more accurate control and the tello fpv app which is better than the oem tello app.
It has improved video controls and you can even change the expo so that the yaw is much smoother and slower

to do is fly from the front door through our "sitting room" into our front room and out the back door we... successful lol.
You should do that portion by holding the drone in your hand and walking it through...

You want an Osmo type setup, or bare bones, a gimbal for your cellphone.
Trying to fly thru your house (with kids playing in the shot) is just to risky.
You want to do it handheld.
Safer.
Less risk.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I have been looking at the cable cams and tried to make one with a 3d Printer. I had an idea of using a 3d Camera that rotates as it goes through we had issues testing it int he back yard though. The wiral is awesome I've watched so much on that, but for $400 and I wouldn't use it much. I'm really digging the dynamic drone video, it's more than I am trying to do, but captures part of what I'm thinking I might give that a try, and that way the camera footage would be better as well. I do have a couple gimbals already and GoPros that can do some of this.

Thank you all for the ideas.

I have been looking at the cable cams and tried to make one with a 3d Printer. I had an idea of using a 3d Camera that rotates as it goes through we had issues testing it int he back yard though. The wiral is awesome I've watched so much on that, but for $400 and I wouldn't use it much. I'm really digging the dynamic drone video, it's more than I am trying to do, but captures part of what I'm thinking I might give that a try, and that way the camera footage would be better as well. I do have a couple gimbals already and GoPros that can do some of this.

Thank you all for the ideas.
You should check out this guy on Instagram. Beyond crazy flight skills. Mounts a camera on top of a racing frame. He has build specs and info to make you own. https://instagram.com/gab707_fpv?igshid=lqjz3ub1ebu5

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98