DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Pro 3 - Return To Home

My suggestion: Land it on your flat upturned hand and close your fingers and thumb on the fuselage rather than grab it.

There are some good discussions here about hand catching for landings. You might want to do some reading on the various techniques. Some folks snatch the drone out of the air and turn it upside to force the motors to stop. I'm not in that camp.
Very good point, thank you very much!
Lyman

Thank you, Rwilliam99. I am a big believer in reading the Manual. The RTH is important to me only out of concern should the Drone get out of sight which I would hope would not, and should not, happen.

Best,

Lyman

Another suggestion - one which I've found useful - download the DJI Simulator and hook up your remote to your computer and do some flying in that. While it isn't 100% like real flying, if you use your controller it is pretty close and it helps to give you some practice when you can't fly. Plus it allows you to screw up and not break anything....

I've been using my old C2 controller (the one that came with my old mavic mini 1). I really should try and get my RC controller hooked up to see if it works though...

Edit: Apparently the DJI RC is not supported in the simulator - oh well, the C2 controller works pretty well and feels very similar to the RC so it is still good practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGLDSR73
Another suggestion - one which I've found useful - download the DJI Simulator and hook up your remote to your computer and do some flying in that. While it isn't 100% like real flying, if you use your controller it is pretty close and it helps to give you some practice when you can't fly. Plus it allows you to screw up and not break anything....

I've been using my old C2 controller (the one that came with my old mavic mini 1). I really should try and get my RC controller hooked up to see if it works though...

Edit: Apparently the DJI RC is not supported in the simulator - oh well, the C2 controller works pretty well and feels very similar to the RC so it is still good practice.
Thank you, I've downloaded it and will certainly try it regardless of the Controller! 😊
Best,
Lyman

I usually take off my Mini 3 Pro from the corner of my deck which is about a 2-3 foot square area surrounded by obstacles. I don't trust it to RTH that precisely and land safely in that tight of an area as it is usually coming down over one of the obstacles. So I cancel RTH and land manually. One evening recently it looked like it might make it even though the light was getting poor and I let it go ahead with my thumb ready to cancel the landing. I was just about to do so because it was close to the edge of the deck, when it did it itself with a message saying that the area under the drone was unsafe for landing. Not sure if it did that because it saw the edge of the deck or because of low light.

I usually take off my Mini 3 Pro from the corner of my deck which is about a 2-3 foot square area surrounded by obstacles. I don't trust it to RTH that precisely and land safely in that tight of an area as it is usually coming down over one of the obstacles. So I cancel RTH and land manually. One evening recently it looked like it might make it even though the light was getting poor and I let it go ahead with my thumb ready to cancel the landing. I was just about to do so because it was close to the edge of the deck, when it did it itself with a message saying that the area under the drone was unsafe for landing. Not sure if it did that because it saw the edge of the deck or because of low light.
The cool thing about Precision Landing is it would land within a few inches of its exact takeoff spot (more often than not within an inch) with RTH on that tiny area. Reliably.

PL is not 100% reliable, though. It uses the same technology used to precisely hover: Optical Flow imaging. The difference is the reference image for comparison is captured and stored at takeoff, and then used for positioning when Landing.

So there's an initialization procedure you must follow on takeoff, or PL will not occur on return. It's simple, just pause ascending straight up after takeoff at around 20' for 5 seconds or so where the drone will capture the PL image, then fly normally.

Skip this step and no PL on that flight. And no, even if you do this with your M3P, it won't work, it's not implemented.

Thanks and I understand what you're saying. When in doubt I'm going to err on the side of caution.....thanks for sharing! - Lyman

The cool thing about Precision Landing is it would land within a few inches of its exact takeoff spot (more often than not within an inch) with RTH on that tiny area. Reliably.

PL is not 100% reliable, though. It uses the same technology used to precisely hover: Optical Flow imaging. The difference is the reference image for comparison is captured and stored at takeoff, and then used for positioning when Landing.

So there's an initialization procedure you must follow on takeoff, or PL will not occur on return. It's simple, just pause ascending straight up after takeoff at around 20' for 5 seconds or so where the drone will capture the PL image, then fly normally.

Skip this step and no PL on that flight. And no, even if you do this with your M3P, it won't work, it's not implemented.
As I understand it, the Mini 3 Pro does not have PL, correct?

Sounds plausible. Ford / GM / Chrysler have been doing it for decades.
Or ... the Mini 3 pro is a Mini drone.
It's built to keep the weight down below 250 grams and is less than half the price of the AIr 2S.
It's unrealistic to expect the budget mini drone to have everything that's included in the bigger one that costs double its price.

Last edited:
Or ... the Mini 3 pro is a Mini drone.
It's built to keep the weight down below 250 grams and is less than half the price of the AIr 2S.
It's unrealistic to expect the budget mini drone to have everything that's included in the bigger one that costs double its price.
Agreed, everything would be unreasonable.

However, PL adds no weight, adds no processing load, and in my opinion seems very appropriate a feature to be in the flagship model of the class. I'll bet it gets added as A2S sales fade. I'll predict shortly after an A3 is released (if it happens).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO