DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini2 weight question

MARK (LI)

Reactions
Today is 21, April 2021...some regulations went into effect today regarding flying drones over people. I received an email today regarding the new regulation which included a Youtube (link is here if you did not get the email and are interested the video it became apparent that the Mini 2, once prop guards are used...is no longer a sub 250 gram unit....now requiring it to be labeled with the operator's FAA Registry #...at least that is how I am reading this...is this correct, or am I not interpreting it correctly?...Thanks for any and all feedback

Last edited:
Can't see a video link, but ... the 250g weight limit is & have always been "fly weight", doesn't matter what's labeled on it, if you attach thing's to the craft the weight of that extra equipment counts also.

Today is 21, April 2021...some regulations went into effect today regarding flying drones over people.
The new rules apply to those with Part 107 commercial licencing.
They do not apply to recreational flyers.
Here's a thread about it:

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Today is 21, April 2021...some regulations went into effect today regarding flying drones over people. I received an email today regarding the new regulation which included a Youtube (link is here if you did not get the email and are interested the video it became apparent that the Mini 2, once prop guards are used...is no longer a sub 250 gram unit....now requiring it to be labeled with the operator's FAA Registry #...at least that is how I am reading this...is this correct, or am I not interpreting it correctly?...Thanks for any and all feedback
You're correct. Once you add anything to it that puts it over the 250g weight limit, it requires registration.

But I'm not sure what that had to do with new rules. It's true that the new rules allow Part 107 pilots to conduct operations over people under certain circumstances. Category 1 operations over people are limited to weight below 250g (including EVERYTHING attached to the drone) and no exposed rotating parts. Other categories require the drone manufacturer to certify compliance to the appropriate category requirements, and there are not yet any drones that have been so certified. The Mavic Mini won't make the weight limit if you attach prop guards, and it won't meet the "no exposed rotating parts" requirement if you leave prop guards off. So the Mavic Mini isn't eligible for operations over people.

Since the operations over people is only allowed under Part 107, and drones operated under Part 107 always require registration, the new rules have no effect on registration requirements.

But it does point out that, in general, if a recreational pilot wants to attach prop guards to a drone for whatever reason, the pilot must either make sure that the drone with all of its attached equipment weighs less than 250g, or register the drone. That also goes for lights, landing gear, etc. The MM2 is light enough that it may squeeze in under the weight limit even with some lightweight lights or landing gear. But it's also possible to attach enough to the MM2 to push it over the limit.

The new rules apply to those with Part 107 commercial licencing.
They do not apply to recreational flyers.
Here's a thread about it:
Hi @Meta4 ... I realize the part about flying over people is only applicable for now to the 107 guys...but the weight issue applies to everyone....the FAA registry isn't that big a deal...I had to do it for the Phantom, so I have a Registry number...I just used a label maker and stuck it on the unit to avoid any confrontation

I realize the part about flying over people is only applicable for now to the 107 guys...but the weight issue applies to everyone....
Which weight issue? The ability to fly a sub-250g drone without registration doesn't apply to those flying under Part 107 because all drones flown under 107 must be registered, regardless of weight.

The requirement to be sub-250g in order to qualify for flight over people doesn't apply to 44809 recreational flyers, because they aren't allowed to fly over people, regardless of weight.

Reactions: NDWildBill
Watched a utube last night that demonstrated that a mini 2 with prop guards can be under 250g if you can get the Japanese battery. Apparently regulations in Japan are that the drone must be under 220g, so DJI uses a smaller, lighter battery. Of course that battery is nearly impossible to get in the US.

Reactions: Rich QR
Watched a utube last night that demonstrated that a mini 2 with prop guards can be under 250g if you can get the Japanese battery. Apparently regulations in Japan are that the drone must be under 220g, so DJI uses a smaller, lighter battery. Of course that battery is nearly impossible to get in the US.
Impossible to get in the US unless you have military connections in Japan. Fortunately for me I do and had one of them send me a Japanese fly more combo. Unfortunately the rule also requires Remote ID for Cat 1 operations over people. Fingers crossed that remote ID will be added via a software/firmware update as a module will likely put it over 250.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ