DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minimum height to take a 360 pano

Does anyone know the minimum height to take a 360 pano?
I've been shooting 360s for a while now, and have found that there is no one height that applies. If you fly low, objects like mountains and communications towers look amazing when they rise above the horizon. Flying high gives favor to capturing a greater landscape.

I've posted this 360 too many times here, but what can I say? I like it :)... I shot this in October. A week before, I shot this from 300ft AGL, and it was boring. This was shot from around 90ft, which allowed the big comms tower to jump out a bit. The actual target of this shot is the smaller green tower, where we perch ourselves to watch for fires in the county. From 300 ft, the towers were boring to look at.

Banner Mountain Lookout Tower, Nevada City, CA [v6c]

I shot this yesterday from 300ft, where it gave me a better perspective of the field. This is where I do much of my flying.

Bear Valley Snow, March 11, 2018

Edit: and yes, my Mavic photographs the sky for a full 360x180 view:
0f77328e579f47e934d4f9b7c3547a30.jpg
2348a581fbd3fae1874135d85e76cefe.jpg

Reactions: CJenk42
I've been shooting 360s for a while now, and have found that there is no one height that applies. If you fly low, objects like mountains and communications towers look amazing when they rise above the horizon. Flying high gives favor to capturing a greater landscape.

I've posted this 360 too many times here, but what can I say? I like it :)... I shot this in October. A week before, I shot this from 300ft AGL, and it was boring. This was shot from around 90ft, which allowed the big comms tower to jump out a bit. The actual target of this shot is the smaller green tower, where we perch ourselves to watch for fires in the county. From 300 ft, the towers were boring to look at.

Banner Mountain Lookout Tower, Nevada City, CA [v6c]

I shot this yesterday from 300ft, where it gave me a better perspective of the field. This is where I do much of my flying.

Bear Valley Snow, March 11, 2018

Edit: and yes, my Mavic photographs the sky for a full 360x180 view:
0f77328e579f47e934d4f9b7c3547a30.jpg
2348a581fbd3fae1874135d85e76cefe.jpg
Thanks. I was going to take one inside a building. I just wasn't sure if the building was tall enough. Your 360s are awesome. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qoncussion
Not sure what you are using to do them CJ but I use Hangar and saw one
posted here at what they said was 10' so I tried . Sun wasn't overhead so
it didn't come out well and tried one at 5 ' just to see what it would look like
and wasn't good at all . Seemed my mavic was drifting slightly . Might have been from the prop wash I don't know but am going to try 15' next and see how it does .

Not sure what you are using to do them CJ but I use Hangar and saw one
posted here at what they said was 10' so I tried . Sun wasn't overhead so
it didn't come out well and tried one at 5 ' just to see what it would look like
and wasn't good at all . Seemed my mavic was drifting slightly . Might have been from the prop wash I don't know but am going to try 15' next and see how it does .
I contemplated trying very low altitudes, but always came to the conclusion that if I can shoot it with my cell phone at 5+ft, then I don't need to launch to get the shot. There is something magical about shooting from the air. I saw one of your (I think it was you, @dirkclod) little planet images, where towers rose up from the horizon of the image... That's what I'm talking about. I really like that perspective. This is the same 360 I posted above. I do like shooting these below large objects to get that rising effect.
be6b8bc4aac87968b6790fb063868dc9.jpg

I contemplated trying very low altitudes, but always came to the conclusion that if I can shoot it with my cell phone at 5+ft, then I don't need to launch to get the shot. There is something magical about shooting from the air. I saw one of your (I think it was you, @dirkclod) little planet images, where towers rose up from the horizon of the image... That's what I'm talking about. I really like that perspective. This is the same 360 I posted above. I do like shooting these below large objects to get that rising effect.
That's crazy. I need to try one like that.

That is one mesmerizing shot! Nice work [emoji3]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro