DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minimum requirement for flight monitor?

And you’re flying a Mavic Air 2 with your iPad mini 4?

Sorry - no. I got confused between forums. I am using a mini 4, but flying the Mavic 2. Sorry for the confusion guys.

I did look on the DJI site to see what devices are compatible, but I can't find any mention of what they say works. There are several lists out there that say what is and isn't compatible but as the Air 2 is rather new, most of the lists relate to the Mavic Mini. The mini 4 seems touch and go maybe because of the h265 codec. Got to say it would hack me off having to buy a new device just to fly the flipping thing!

Reactions: InterstateP
I’m using the same phone but aside from the difference in brightness, I just really don’t want to use my phone as a dedicated monitor. The brightness point is good information to know, so I’m glad you mentioned it.
I have a Mini 5 and the brightness is disappointing. Because of the screen size It’s better than my iPhone 7+. It’s time to update my phone. ?

I plan on using a Samsung tab A. Anyone know which and where to buy the extension cable?
The 8" Samsung Tab A SM-T290 does work with DJI FLY. It needs to be both a 64 bit architecture, (generally available in the specs), and 64 bit Android, (rarely noted in the specs), You download the apk from DJI and then install it. It won't show up in Playstore. This is one of the least expensive tablets.

There is a list of compatible devices somewhere on this board but it does not include this tablet - I don't know why..

Your Android phone/tablet draws power from the MC when the MC is turned on. Picture shows the solution. When the MC is turned off both it and your phone/tablet will charge. (In my case this is QC2.0). The phone/tablet will draw charge from the power bank within the confines of the phone/tablet and power bank limits. Sometimes after turning on the MC you have to unplug the power and re-plug to make the Fly app connection.

An added advantage of Hot Gluing your micro usb to the body of the MC is there will be no risk of damaging the ridiculous interface that DJI made. (Mavic Mini).

I run my Samsung tab 8 at max brightness and it stays charged at 100%. After going through all 3 Mini batteries it's MC is still over half charged. On a bench test of one hour: no battery; MC drained to one light and with power bank to 75%, (three solid lights).

Attachments

• Pro OTG .jpg
    Pro OTG .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I don't know about the earlier mini's, but I use a mini 4 to fly my Mavic 2 zoom.

I use H264 (not sure why you would use 265???) and don't use it for editing - just flying and it works absolutely fine.
Do you have WIFI AND cellular on your mini mac 4?

Do you have WIFI AND cellular on your mini mac 4?

OK, I have caused confusion in this thread as I mistook it for the Mavic 2 forum. Sorry guys!

To clarify, my mini 4 is the basic one with wifi only. No Cellular or GPS. When I'm on site the tablet gets the internet from my phone as I have a hotspot and tether the connection. This works well with my Mavic 2 as I don't use the tablet for editing - just flying.

Now with the Mavic Air 2, there seems to be a lot of people having difficulties with incompatible phones and tablets, so I can't state that this setup works with the Air 2. Hopefully DJI are working on this.

OK, I have caused confusion in this thread as I mistook it for the Mavic 2 forum. Sorry guys!

To clarify, my mini 4 is the basic one with wifi only. No Cellular or GPS. When I'm on site the tablet gets the internet from my phone as I have a hotspot and tether the connection. This works well with my Mavic 2 as I don't use the tablet for editing - just flying.

Now with the Mavic Air 2, there seems to be a lot of people having difficulties with incompatible phones and tablets, so I can't state that this setup works with the Air 2. Hopefully DJI are working on this.
I have the Mavic Pro and I was just wanting a bigger screen so i was debating either the #DJI remote or a Ipad min4i!

I have the Mavic Pro and I was just wanting a bigger screen so i was debating either the #DJI remote or a Ipad min4i!

The thing about the mini is that it fits nicely between the jaws on the controller and it's well balanced. Plus it's a bigger screen than the DJI smart controller, although that device does have a brighter screen.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive