DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mixing drones, controllers, and displays: any issues?

Aerophile

Reactions
I currently own a Mini 2, with the standard RC-N1 controller (no built-in screen). I've used this controller with my iPhone for the display, without any significant issues.

I also own an iPad Mini 6, which I'd like to also try as a larger screen (my primary limitation using the iPhone is the display size; the iPad Mini has better battery life, plus the bigger screen).

Should I anticipate any issues switching back and forth between the iPhone and iPad Mini, using the same RC-N1?

I'm also getting close to ordering a Mini 3 Pro. I'd probably get the package with the new DJI-RC (with built-in screen), but I'm wondering if I might sometimes want to use the old RC-N1 controller with the iPad's larger display.

At that point, since I would have two drones (M2 and M3P), two controllers (RC-N1 and DJI-RC), and three possible displays (iPhone, iPad and built-in screen on the DJI-RC), ideally I'd like to be able to "mix and match", using whichever drone, display, and controller that best met my needs for that day.

(Of course, I understand that when using the DJI-RC with the built-in screen, I won't be able to use either the iPhone or iPad as the display...though it might be interesting to have a dual-screen setup!)

Is this going to be a major task managing these different combinations, or would it be fairly trivial to select whatever combination I want and just go fly? Thanks.

I currently own a Mini 2, with the standard RC-N1 controller (no built-in screen). I've used this controller with my iPhone for the display, without any significant issues.

I also own an iPad Mini 6, which I'd like to also try as a larger screen (my primary limitation using the iPhone is the display size; the iPad Mini has better battery life, plus the bigger screen).

Should I anticipate any issues switching back and forth between the iPhone and iPad Mini, using the same RC-N1?

I'm also getting close to ordering a Mini 3 Pro. I'd probably get the package with the new DJI-RC (with built-in screen), but I'm wondering if I might sometimes want to use the old RC-N1 controller with the iPad's larger display.

At that point, since I would have two drones (M2 and M3P), two controllers (RC-N1 and DJI-RC), and three possible displays (iPhone, iPad and built-in screen on the DJI-RC), ideally I'd like to be able to "mix and match", using whichever drone, display, and controller that best met my needs for that day.

(Of course, I understand that when using the DJI-RC with the built-in screen, I won't be able to use either the iPhone or iPad as the display...though it might be interesting to have a dual-screen setup!)

Is this going to be a major task managing these different combinations, or would it be fairly trivial to select whatever combination I want and just go fly? Thanks.
Hi, I have used both with my mini 2 without having any problems, cheers Len

Reactions: Aerophile
With regards to multiples drones, you need to remember to check relevant safety setting each time you swap drones UNLESS you use the same set of settings on both drones all the time. I have caught myself out with that.
Also with the drones being of different models, Mini 2 / Mini 3, even with them using the 'same' App, one drone's App may have menus/options that the other's does not. That can occasionally cause confusion.

With regards to using different model controllers, and this might be an important point at some stage, you might confuse button etc. locations/functions, especially in a 'panic' situation where you react on reflex rather than thought, that could become problematic.

I asked a similar question but didn't get a clear answer when I wondered about swapping from my Mavic 3 to my Mini 3 using the RC controller with screen. If you are using the same controller and just swapping the iPad for the iPhone it's nothing but a bigger screen but my understanding (vague) is that if you swap the controller from one drone to the other you run into issues in terms of having to bind it and that's where I am unsure. One post said somebody swapped 5 times and got an alert (I forget what it was) about binding. I'm not sure you can bind/unbind and swap controller from one drone to the other on a regular basis. I would like to know that as I am considering getting a Triptek for my M3 but if I could use the RC with the screen from my Mini3...that might be good enough as my phone darkens when it's hot.

I've had no problems at all swapping portable Android devices on the RC-N1 controllers, with the phone and two tablets all running the same version of the Fly app.

I tried using a single controller to operate two drones, both with the RC-N1 and the Mini 3 Smart Controller, with the same result. When you move the controller to a new drone, you have to link the controller and drone. That's a reasonably quick process involving holding down the power button on the drone to initiate the binding and waiting a few seconds. There's also a brief download required. DJI allows you to do that five times, and then requires you to bind the controller and drone. Binding is more complicated and has implications for the Care Refresh flyaway coverage.

I can foresee wanting to use the smart controller on one of the other models, probably when travelling or taking a drone on a camping trip where I'd be using the combination for several days.

@Yorkshire_Pud makes some good points about switching from one controller to another. Some of them apply even if you're not swapping controllers between drones, but simply using the RC-N1 on a Mini 2 or Air 2S and the smart controller with the Mini 3. There are some differences in control buttons and functions between the two controllers. I had to learn to avoid accidentally pressing the bottom buttons on the smart controller when I picked it up or moved my grip. And it's taking a while to get accustomed to having separate still and video shutter buttons on the Mini 3, after being used to the single shutter button working for both still and video on the RC-N1. It is handy to be able to switch modes on the Mini 3 just by pushing the appropriate shutter button, though.

I've had no problems at all swapping portable Android devices on the RC-N1 controllers, with the phone and two tablets all running the same version of the Fly app.

I tried using a single controller to operate two drones, both with the RC-N1 and the Mini 3 Smart Controller, with the same result. When you move the controller to a new drone, you have to link the controller and drone. That's a reasonably quick process involving holding down the power button on the drone to initiate the binding and waiting a few seconds. There's also a brief download required. DJI allows you to do that five times, and then requires you to bind the controller and drone. Binding is more complicated and has implications for the Care Refresh flyaway coverage.

I can foresee wanting to use the smart controller on one of the other models, probably when travelling or taking a drone on a camping trip where I'd be using the combination for several days.

@Yorkshire_Pud makes some good points about switching from one controller to another. Some of them apply even if you're not swapping controllers between drones, but simply using the RC-N1 on a Mini 2 or Air 2S and the smart controller with the Mini 3. There are some differences in control buttons and functions between the two controllers. I had to learn to avoid accidentally pressing the bottom buttons on the smart controller when I picked it up or moved my grip. And it's taking a while to get accustomed to having separate still and video shutter buttons on the Mini 3, after being used to the single shutter button working for both still and video on the RC-N1. It is handy to be able to switch modes on the Mini 3 just by pushing the appropriate shutter button, though.

all the procedures about binding and different settings moving from one drone to another is a big reason why I went with a Tripltek 8

currently, I'm using it with the Mini 2, but if I upgrade to a Mini 3 or Air2S, I'll simply pay the extra $80-90 and have a 2nd RC-N1 dedicated for the new drone. No hassle moving between controllers, and that Tripltek is a great drone control screen as well as a premium tablet

personally, I don't like the new RC's problems in sunlight (700 nits is not enough) and the cost of a RC-Pro is too much. I've seen way too many comparisons between the RC-Pro and the RC-N1 in terms of signal & transmission strength to believe there's enough of a difference to justify paying an extra $1100 for the RC-Pro. That's about the cost of the drone + fly more for either the Mini 3 or the Air2S

With regards to multiples drones, you need to remember to check relevant safety setting each time you swap drones UNLESS you use the same set of settings on both drones all the time. I have caught myself out with that.
If you mean the RTH height and Loss of Signal action, those are stored in the drone, not the controller.
Changing controllers doesn't change those settings.

If you mean the RTH height and Loss of Signal action, those are stored in the drone, not the controller.
Changing controllers doesn't change those settings.
True, but the title of the thread includes "Mixing drones" and I did say "With regards to multiples drones" which you did quote.

True, but the title of the thread includes "Mixing drones" and I did say "With regards to multiples drones" which you did quote.
The advice I gave applies to multiple drones.
I'm not sure what you think you are correcting??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada