DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM with Litchi

There do seem to be a million threads discussing Litchi vs. Dronelink and now a newcomer called Red Waypoint. Let me try and sum up the options and the plusses and minuses as well as offer some insight on what I think is coming if you're willing to wait.

Dronelink: $20 - (IOS & Android - 46+ video training training included)
Litchi: $22.99 - (IOS & Android - Video Training available for purchase - $20-$50)
Red Waypoint: $14.99 - Android only - no video training, but user manual available)

Dronelink:

Built by the developer as Autopilot (videos were done by same person as well). Unique "component based" approach to mission creation allowing for both simple and highly complex mission creation (can do Orbits, waypoints, etc in multiple missions), on PC/Mac/Tablet/and phone (although experience is less than optimal on phone). Built for both Hobbyists and many enterprise clients, there's been many new Mini users as it's the only waypoint/POI solution that works for IOS and Android

Currently fully supports waypoints for all drones (except Mavic Air 2 as there is no supported DJI SDK). "On the fly functions" (fly to points, mark them and it will build a unique mission for you (e.g. orbits, cardinal images, dronee, etc.) Google earth export, import, full command control of all drone, camera, gimbal settings, Litchi import, sharing/collaboration of missions, mission stop/start, and a hoard of other features.

The two features that people have been asking for are "follow" and "offline waypoints". Offline waypoints are not currently possible for the Mini. Still, Dronelink's developer had created this capability for Autopilot in the past and could do it for DL (outside of the Mini). It's on the radar to do. Arguably, you shouldn't be doing missions where the controller cannot maintain connection, but it's understood that there are cases where it makes sense to have the feature.

With the huge influx of users for DL, DL is actively also working on GPS follow and possibly active track, as well as a mode similar what Autopilot had where you could control the camera and let the drone fly its mission (even controlling the yaw as needed) as well as a "focus mode" where you can fly freely and the drone will maintain focus on the item. Also working on smoothing out the occasional jerkiness that can come from older devices mixed with the Mini for small/fast orbits.. Lots to come.

Litchi

A solid DJI Go replacement with many advanced features. Easier than DL to use if you're looking to just get out and fly. Has visual cues that talk you through where you are in mission. An active community of users and a full training video package (although you have to pay for it).

Feature strengths include follow, orbits, and basic, and focus. Waypoint and POI solution works very well - and can be done for almost all the DJI drones. Has a good way to create missions on PC/Web via their Litchi Hub solution.

Big current differentiator is that Litchi supports off-line waypoints - although not for the Mavic Mini. Litchi's waypoint solution does not support the Mini (again, due to the SDK). There have been posts from Litchi claiming that they are working on a waypoint solution for the Mini - but the expectation is that it will be similar to DL's (no off-line capability and using virtual stick).

I personally LItchi useful when I want to do a quick waypoint mission with my M2 or only have my phone to fly with (no tablet).

Red Waypoint

I know the least about this newcomer except that it's an Android only solution that seems to support waypoints for the Mini through a similar virtual stick implementation. Claims to have follow, focus, and other automatic missions. Assuming it does not have offline waypoints for any drones from what I could read.

While you can plan missions offline, does not have a PC/web solution to do so.

I've seen mixed posts on the reliability of Red Waypoint - some said it worked very well, some not so much. Probably (as is DL) tied to the strength of the Android device. Some have said it does the waypoints on Mini but the other functionality would not work. The Android tablet I had would not work reliably with it, so I'd be curious to hear what others say.

It's the least expensive of the options - allows you to get flying for $15.

Summary:

Overall, these software solutions are VERY cheap in comparison to the cost of the drone itself and provide a great deal of power and new functionality. As an IOS user, I have DL and Litchi on all my devices. I (full disclosure - I did the videos for DL) lean toward DL, but again, I do like using Litchi for certain applications and use cases. I tell people to buy them both and keep them as tools in your tool bag as needed.

Last edited:
on PC/Mac/Tablet/and phone (although experience is less than optimal on phone).

It depends a lot on the phone. For example, the latest iPhones have better processors than many tablets and my understanding is that the processor plays a significant role in the performance of the app. Waypoints in Dronelink seem to work very well with my 2nd generation iPhone SE.

Dronelink:
With the huge influx of users for DL, DL is actively also working on GPS follow and possibly active track, as well as a mode similar what Autopilot had where you could control the camera and let the drone fly its mission (even controlling the yaw as needed) as well as a "focus mode" where you can fly freely and the drone will maintain focus on the item. Also working on smoothing out the occasional jerkiness that can come from older devices mixed with the Mini for small/fast orbits.. Lots to come.
I would be very excited about a focus mode for the Mini. Is this something you believe possible, or is that feature expected for higher-end models?

There do seem to be a million threads discussing Litchi vs. Dronelink and now a newcomer called Red Waypoint. Let me try and sum up the options and the plusses and minuses as well as offer some insight on what I think is coming if you're willing to wait.

Litchi: $22.99 - (IOS & Android - Video Training available for purchase - $20-$50)
Red Waypoint: $14.99 - Android only - no video training, but user manual available)

Dronelink:

Built by the developer as Autopilot (videos were done by same person as well). Unique "component based" approach to mission creation allowing for both simple and highly complex mission creation (can do Orbits, waypoints, etc in multiple missions), on PC/Mac/Tablet/and phone (although experience is less than optimal on phone). Built for both Hobbyists and many enterprise clients, there's been many new Mini users as it's the only waypoint/POI solution that works for IOS and Android

Currently fully supports waypoints for all drones (except Mavic Air 2 as there is no supported DJI SDK). "On the fly functions" (fly to points, mark them and it will build a unique mission for you (e.g. orbits, cardinal images, dronee, etc.) Google earth export, import, full command control of all drone, camera, gimbal settings, Litchi import, sharing/collaboration of missions, mission stop/start, and a hoard of other features.

The two features that people have been asking for are "follow" and "offline waypoints". Offline waypoints are not currently possible for the Mini. Still, Dronelink's developer had created this capability for Autopilot in the past and could do it for DL (outside of the Mini). It's on the radar to do. Arguably, you shouldn't be doing missions where the controller cannot maintain connection, but it's understood that there are cases where it makes sense to have the feature.

Litchi

A solid DJI Go replacement with many advanced features. Easier than DL to use if you're looking to just get out and fly. Has visual cues that talk you through where you are in mission. An active community of users and a full training video package (although you have to pay for it).

Feature strengths include follow, orbits, and basic, and focus. Waypoint and POI solution works very well - and can be done for almost all the DJI drones. Has a good way to create missions on PC/Web via their Litchi Hub solution.

Big current differentiator is that Litchi supports off-line waypoints - although not for the Mavic Mini. Litchi's waypoint solution does not support the Mini (again, due to the SDK). There have been posts from Litchi claiming that they are working on a waypoint solution for the Mini - but the expectation is that it will be similar to DL's (no off-line capability and using virtual stick).

I personally LItchi useful when I want to do a quick waypoint mission with my M2 or only have my phone to fly with (no tablet).

Red Waypoint

I know the least about this newcomer except that it's an Android only solution that seems to support waypoints for the Mini through a similar virtual stick implementation. Claims to have follow, focus, and other automatic missions. Assuming it does not have offline waypoints for any drones from what I could read.

I've seen mixed posts on the reliability of Red Waypoint - some said it worked very well, some not so much. Probably (as is DL) tied to the strength of the Android device. Some have said it does the waypoints on Mini but the other functionality would not work. The Android tablet I had would not work reliably with it, so I'd be curious to hear what others say.

Summary:

Overall, these software solutions are VERY cheap in comparison to the cost of the drone itself and provide a great deal of power and new functionality. As an IOS user, I have DL and Litchi on all my devices. I (full disclosure - I did the videos for DL) lean toward DL, but again, I do like using Litchi for certain applications and use cases. I tell people to buy them both and keep them as tools in your tool bag as needed.
What an excellent post. Thank you, very much.

Do not forget to mention that DRONELINK Guys doesnot like Android !!!
On the FLY is ONLY working WITH internet connection ! therefor I prefer LITCHI
and soon they will have WAYPOINTS too.

Just a quick question, I didn't want to start a new thread being that this one is on LITCHI already.
If I pay and install the beta on my phone, would I have to pay again to install it on my tablet? Both are Android.
Thanks!

Just installed Beta, I will have to test fly tomorrow after work, but it has way points and some other smart flight. I'm betting it does the way points by autonomous stick as dronlink does. But I do know that I installed, Started Litchi, Recognized MM, and circled my location with way points, sitting at my desk at 10pm so want to test! lol
Incredible

Do not forget to mention that DRONELINK Guys doesnot like Android !!!
On the FLY is ONLY working WITH internet connection ! therefor I prefer LITCHI
and soon they will have WAYPOINTS too.

Not sure why you think the Dronelink guys don't like Android - we fully support it..

I could be 100% wrong, but my guess is that LItchi will NOT soon have waypoints for the Mini. It's a completely different animal and approach and not how they've done it in the. DL (in the Autopilot days) has done both -- and truly expects to have offline waypoints, focus, follow, and others..

Yes, while you can download missions to DL, it is better intended to be used with internet connection..

Again, nothing against Litchi - I recommend having both.

Not sure why you think the Dronelink guys don't like Android - we fully support it..

I could be 100% wrong, but my guess is that LItchi will NOT soon have waypoints for the Mini. It's a completely different animal and approach and not how they've done it in the. DL (in the Autopilot days) has done both -- and truly expects to have offline waypoints, focus, follow, and others..

Yes, while you can download missions to DL, it is better intended to be used with internet connection..

Again, nothing against Litchi - I recommend having both.
Just a small comment, it's actually Android who hates dronelink.hahaha have a nice evening.

Reactions: dronelink

Dronelink:

Litchi

Red Waypoint

Summary:

I really appreciate that you take so much time to explain this to the other members. really shows your integrity and your passion for this Hobby

Reactions: dronelink
While there is considerable buzz about the waypoint feature of Litchi, or the lack of thereof, nobody seems to mention the added image control - contrast, saturation and sharpness. Mini has a nice baked-in profile, though a bit limited for color grading. With rolled back settings, you can get a much flatter picture with reasonable sharpness. Not a film look yet, but close enough!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga