DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mobile data on when using DJI Fly app for mini ?

BarrieW

Reactions
Downloaded the whole manual for Mavic Mini , been flying 3 days only and now realise manual says mobile data should be turned on, must have missed it in tiny booklet you get with Mini ? No problems flying without mobile data up to 350 feet and good distance away . I admit I am a stupid old git - how vital is mobile data? Again being an oldie I'm not on social media every minute of my life and have a small monthly data package, help/advice appreciated . Thanks Barrie

No SIM card in my viewing device, wifi off, bluetooth off, airplane mode on etc. etc.
I think you only need a connection to the outside world if you want live maps for where ever you are flying but if you know where you are going to be flying I have read that you can "cache" the relevant maps before hand and then they are apparently automatically accessed by the App. You'd need to check how you do that.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Thanks Phillius, browsing the various forums ( still negotiating my way around this Mavic site) I saw various posts where downloading maps was the reason. Didn't want to buy a bigger data package so will download before flying.Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated. Barrie

Have a read through these 2 threads specific to the Mini and DJI Fly app. The info is confusing, as reading through it myself I can't work out if you can or can't. But you don't need data in order to fly the drone - only to load maps.

Thanks everybody, that's cleared a lot of things for me, never thought you could use Google Maps for downloading then use on DJI Fly App. This Mavic Pilots site is great, not only for great useful info but also for having a good laugh at some of the posts! Brilliant!

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
On a google pixel 2 phone, if I turn airplane mode on, it removes the gimbal slide on the screen and I lose the function to switch between P, S, and C modes- go figure!
No idea why it does it but after months of testing, I can only confirm it happens, not why!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitkat