DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Montana-Final Pictures

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Well, I guess all good things must come to an end, and so we are packing up for our dreaded flight from Montana through Dallas and then home to Miami. Both planes and airports are fraught with Covid. It will be a mask wearing torture from Montana to home.

I took advantage of two glorious days to fly the Mavic 2 Pro over river rafters on the Gallatin River (one of the most beautiful stretches of road in the world), and got to do some time lapse (to come later). We also did a 7 hour (round trip) hike up the famous Bee Hive Basin Trail, mentioned by National Geographic Magazine as one of the ten most beautiful hikes in the US.

I am attaching some drone panoramas which I usually shoot RAW in 30% overlapping images on the grid of the MP2. (save RAW images to SD Card). Then processed these in Adobe CC 2020 Photoshop ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). I select all of the 4-8 images taken by the drone in RAW, (CTRL+A), then right click on any image, and hit "Merge to Photoshop." The software does the stitching, and fills spaces in with content aware fill. I open this image in Photoshop and do further editing.

The river rafters were also video'd (to be incorporated into a full-length feature). In between the videos I shot stills, also edited in Photoshop for shadows, sharpening, etc.

Attachments

• Bee-Hike-Basin-Lake-Drone-view.jpg
    Bee-Hike-Basin-Lake-Drone-view.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • Bee-Hive-Basin-Spanish-Peaks-Panorama-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • Bee-Hive-Trail-Spanish-Peaks-Pano.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • Rafters-on-Gallatin-looking-south.jpg
    Rafters-on-Gallatin-looking-south.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • Rafters-on-Gallatin-River-2.jpg
    Rafters-on-Gallatin-River-2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
Well, I guess all good things must come to an end, and so we are packing up for our dreaded flight from Montana through Dallas and then home to Miami. Both planes and airports are fraught with Covid. It will be a mask wearing torture from Montana to home.

I took advantage of two glorious days to fly the Mavic 2 Pro over river rafters on the Gallatin River (one of the most beautiful stretches of road in the world), and got to do some time lapse (to come later). We also did a 7 hour (round trip) hike up the famous Bee Hive Basin Trail, mentioned by National Geographic Magazine as one of the ten most beautiful hikes in the US.

I am attaching some drone panoramas which I usually shoot RAW in 30% overlapping images on the grid of the MP2. (save RAW images to SD Card). Then processed these in Adobe CC 2020 Photoshop ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). I select all of the 4-8 images taken by the drone in RAW, (CTRL+A), then right click on any image, and hit "Merge to Photoshop." The software does the stitching, and fills spaces in with content aware fill. I open this image in Photoshop and do further editing.

The river rafters were also video'd (to be incorporated into a full-length feature). In between the videos I shot stills, also edited in Photoshop for shadows, sharpening, etc.

More inspiring images again Dale!

Safe trip home. We’re about to finally fly home from the UK to Australia after being caught here in the pandemic. A 24-hour flight and two weeks compulsory hotel isolation to not look forward to.

Lots of video and photos to edit on return.

Reactions: itsneedtokno

Safe trip home. We’re about to finally fly home from the UK to Australia after being caught here in the pandemic. A 24-hour flight and two weeks compulsory hotel isolation to not look forward to.

24 Hour flight?!?!?!?

GREAT STUFF DALE

My tips for long hauls are useless since I see you are a pilot. Hydrate, fluorazepan (Dalmane in US), no coffee, EtOH (alcohol), good ear buds for the movies you have missed. I've done a tone of long hauls- Miami-Doha-Nairobi for example, and Miami/Dallas/Narita. Sometimes, I edit my images.My laptop not powerful enough for video editing.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Great pictures, Dale! Looking forward to seeing the video at a later date. Have a safe trip home and stay healthy!

Regards,

John

What a perfect opportunity to do a once in a lifetime road trip and make it memorable by flying the drone along the way
Not sure if it's safer but it would be a whole lot more fun.

What a perfect opportunity to do a once in a lifetime road trip and make it memorable by flying the drone along the way
Not sure if it's safer but it would be a whole lot more fun.
Yes- you are certainly right. We had seriously considered driving, but it would amount to probably 4 days in each direction. Miami is a full day to the border of the state! See the attachment map. So instead of being able to spend 5 weeks here, we would have to subtract about a week and a half for driving. This does not include the many great sites along the way-especially through the Dakotas , the Badlands, Cowboy and Indian country, Mount Rushmore, Indian battlegrounds, etc. Our distances, as in your country, are very long.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.41.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.41.35 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Yes- you are certainly right. We had seriously considered driving, but it would amount to probably 4 days in each direction. Miami is a full day to the border of the state! See the attachment map. So instead of being able to spend 5 weeks here, we would have to subtract about a week and a half for driving. This does not include the many great sites along the way-especially through the Dakotas , the Badlands, Cowboy and Indian country, Mount Rushmore, Indian battlegrounds, etc. Our distances, as in your country, are very long.

Yes, it's a long way but what an epic trip, a chance to really see the country in it's entirety.

Why the rush to get back ?

Yes, it's a long way but what an epic trip, a chance to really see the country in it's entirety.

Why the rush to get back ?
Actually no rush to get back except to pay the monthly bills, watch my house for hurricane protection, and get back to my tennis game 3 x a week. I certainly do not relish the heat, humidity, covid masks required to go from the store to the car or anywhere outside (stupid). Here is Montana the spaces are wide open and the air is cool and clean.

My tips for long hauls are useless since I see you are a pilot. Hydrate, fluorazepan (Dalmane in US), no coffee, EtOH (alcohol), good ear buds for the movies you have missed. I've done a tone of long hauls- Miami-Doha-Nairobi for example, and Miami/Dallas/Narita. Sometimes, I edit my images.My laptop not powerful enough for video editing.

I gave the 72-hour option a miss. That was UK to Sydney via France, Doha, Narita (with a long stop) and finally 10-hours to Sydney.

Same with my laptop. Ok at 1080 but not H.265. Time for a new one. Hope to post some clips in the next month or two.

Safe travels Dale.

Absolutely gorgeous scenery. Terrific images. I don’t know how you tore yourself away from all that. Just so beautiful.

Absolutely gorgeous scenery. Terrific images. I don’t know how you tore yourself away from all that. Just so beautiful.

Thanks and I agree. Montana is blessed with the most outstanding scenery. It would be difficult to shoot a bad picture here. Hope you were able to open the three panoramas taken from the air over our hiking trail.

I can tell you a trip like you laid out is worth whatever it takes to make it happen. 7+ weeks would be much nicer and won’t burn you out getting to & from. I promise the goal will justify the means. Been there from NC. Praying I get to go back and stay longer.

I can tell you a trip like you laid out is worth whatever it takes to make it happen. 7+ weeks would be much nicer and won’t burn you out getting to & from. I promise the goal will justify the means. Been there from NC. Praying I get to go back and stay longer.
We are seriously considering upping the 5 weeks to 8 weeks, and including a 3-4 day side grip to the Badlands, South Dakota, Rushmore, and/or the famous Beartooth Highway drive. WTF- I am retired anyway and its better than this South Florida (Miami) heat and humidity.

GO FOR IT! You won’t regret it. If I can help, send me a private message. By what means will you travel? Assumed you’ll drive. Car? RV?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J