DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More Deer with the 7X, on the Evening of the August Full Moon

MS Coast

That's MS as in Mississippi.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Earlier in the week, I'd gotten a quick look at five big bucks together out in the meadow. But the battery was low and the light was nearly gone, so there wasn't enough video to work with. I found them again on the evening of the 11th, the night of the full moon. Again, I kept my distance, though one buck did look at the drone briefly before flicking his tail and continuing to browse. Once again, a pair of bucks decided to join a small group of does and fawns. The five big guys came out of the woods and into the meadow as the light faded. The moon rose about an hour later.

I used two batteries and shot a lot of video and had a great time watching the deer. The first cut was nine minutes, but I trimmed it to fit the length of the music track. The long flight time of the Mavic 3 is wonderful. If it was as quiet as the Mini 3, it would be closing in on perfection.

Critiques, tips, gripes, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My Gripe? I wasn't there with you to experience/shoot this amazing footage.

I know what you mean. I've never seen deer like this and I feel very fortunate. It's a little like being on the set for "Wild Kingdom." I'm having to consciously focus on flying and filming instead of just watching what the deer. We had no idea there were so many big bucks around here. Most of the does have two fawns.

We've been going out every evening for the past week. Earlier in the day, Linda is getting some great still shots with her 600mm tele, mostly of does and fawns while we slip along the road in the woods. Then we set up on the edge of the meadow and wait for the real show. We're going out again in an hour or so.

Reactions: GFields
Well, for sure I won't show the deer I videoed in a nearby field after seeing yours.. LOL

Lots of luck involved on my part. There were two good evenings and one pretty good evening. The last five evenings haven't yielded many opportunities. Yesterday was a complete zero. Pleasant night to be out, but no deer.

So, what do you do on a rainy day when you can't fly? Update firmware, charge batteries, and edit video from the day before. Here's a brief video of a young buck dealing with a summer pest. I tried a different camera angle that normally wouldn't be as interesting, but it was amusing here.

The group of older bucks hasn't shown up during the last five days.

HD version will be delayed by processing for a bit.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom