DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A few notes on the RC 2 versus my old standard Air 2 controller…

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I splurged and bought the RC 2 with my Air 3 after having used the regular controller with my Air 2. I’m not entirely happy with it.

It was never that big a deal to connect my iPhone to the Air 2 controller (plus I could hook up my iPad instead and have a gigantic screen, which was great).

With the Air 3, I’m finding that I have to jump through a couple of new hoops to see any of my footage. With the Air 2, photos would download directly to my phone, and I’d have 720p versions of my videos on the phone without having to transfer any files.

Now, if I want to be carrying any of my footage around with me on my phone, I need to leave the aircraft on, fire up the Fly app on my phone, connect to the aircraft using the QuickTransfer mode, and then transfer things over. This doesn’t feel fully baked. The connection attempts frequently fail, though they work on successive tries. And the files don’t move all that fast.

It doesn’t look like RC 2 owners are ever going to be able to install other apps on the device (if DJI ever releases an API for the Air 3); it was no big deal to have Maven or DroneLink on my phone and fly the Air 2 with them.

It’s irritating that the RC 2 – which is just an Android device – is so locked down. Transferring screen recording and screenshots is unnecessarily complicated. And getting the RC 2 to download waypoints may not even be possible at the moment.

Another small irritation with the RC 2 is that the joysticks attach with a tiny and fragile-looking thread, which make it really easy to drop the sticks. I’m counting the hours before I drop a stick and never see it again.

The RC 2’s map downloading is ridiculous — and it’s not something I ever had to think about with my Air 2; my phone just downloaded them. You can download maps onto the RC 2, but only a postage stamp’s worth of territory at a time.

I don’t know what the battery life of the RC-N2 is versus the RC 2 or my old controller, but I find that I’m worried more about the battery level of the RC 2 than I’m used to being. Maybe it’s because the blinking battery-level lights are very prominent?

The RC 2 has its pluses. The extra buttons on the bottom side are very useful, and I adore being able to start Cruise Control using one of them. The screen is bright (though it’s actually a little smaller than my iPhone 14 Pro Max’s screen, which I didn’t expect). It is nice to be able to use my phone independent of piloting the drone.

Overall, I’m not as happy with the RC 2 as I expected to be, and at moments I regret having bought it. Some things may improve with firmware updates, hopefully. And being able to flick Cruise Control on so easily might just make up for all of the irritations.

Having said all that, the Air 3 kicks some serious ***, and you can’t really go too far wrong with either controller.

Man this is why I’m still debating if I should the combo with the regular RC or the other one?
I’m coming from a mavic pro. I loved its remote with all the display stats and stuff, distance, height etc. but I always hated fumbling with the phone to get it connected and get flying. But I liked the fact being able to uses other apps for flying and NLD stuff.
As you say too, my main concern would be not being able fly when I don’t have an internet connection, offline maps. On the phone I would cache the entire city etc before I headed out.
With these new Mavics I’m also worried about not being able to fly when I’m in a geo authorize zone, which I may have not unlocked before hand and now I find myself with no internet connection….
My mavic was unlocked in That regards and made life so much easier. But I hate the video from my mavic.

Reactions: R.Cowan
Your points are valid. I bought the A3 with the RC-N2 controller specifically because I want to have the ability to add apps when the SDK is released (usually about 6 months later)
I will buy the Mini 4 Pro with the RC2 controller. Why?
It will allow me to have 2 drones each with two compatible controllers!

Reactions: R.Cowan and Thmoore
Man this is why I’m still debating if I should the combo with the regular RC or the other one?
I’m coming from a mavic pro. I loved its remote with all the display stats and stuff, distance, height etc. but I always hated fumbling with the phone to get it connected and get flying. But I liked the fact being able to uses other apps for flying and NLD stuff.
As you say too, my main concern would be not being able fly when I don’t have an internet connection, offline maps. On the phone I would cache the entire city etc before I headed out.
With these new Mavics I’m also worried about not being able to fly when I’m in a geo authorize zone, which I may have not unlocked before hand and now I find myself with no internet connection….
My mavic was unlocked in That regards and made life so much easier. But I hate the video from my mavic.
You can fly without maps -- you just don't get a detailed map view.

I think you could unlock any needed zones before you headed out to a no-coverage area? The drone always knows where it is in relationship to the authorization zones, via GPS. You just won't have a pretty picture and details about the terrain around you.

Your points are valid. I bought the A3 with the RC-N2 controller specifically because I want to have the ability to add apps when the SDK is released (usually about 6 months later)
I think there is some concern that DJI won't release the SDK for this sort of model going forward (so buying hardware in the hopes that we could use third-party apps later may be a waste of money...).

I think there is some concern that DJI won't release the SDK for this sort of model going forward (so buying hardware in the hopes that we could use third-party apps later may be a waste of money...).
I have no such concern. SDK's enhance the product, it does not make good business sense for them not to do that!

I wouldn’t count on any future SDK any more. DJI has stated it is done providing them for anything except Enterprise models. Mavic 3 has never received an SDK, and won't. Air 3 is no different.

Reactions: davidarmenb
DJI has made it clear they will not be releasing any future SDK's for non-Enterprise models.

I splurged and bought the RC 2 with my Air 3 after having used the regular controller with my Air 2. I’m not entirely happy with it.

It was never that big a deal to connect my iPhone to the Air 2 controller (plus I could hook up my iPad instead and have a gigantic screen, which was great).

With the Air 3, I’m finding that I have to jump through a couple of new hoops to see any of my footage. With the Air 2, photos would download directly to my phone, and I’d have 720p versions of my videos on the phone without having to transfer any files.

Now, if I want to be carrying any of my footage around with me on my phone, I need to leave the aircraft on, fire up the Fly app on my phone, connect to the aircraft using the QuickTransfer mode, and then transfer things over. This doesn’t feel fully baked. The connection attempts frequently fail, though they work on successive tries. And the files don’t move all that fast.

It doesn’t look like RC 2 owners are ever going to be able to install other apps on the device (if DJI ever releases an API for the Air 3); it was no big deal to have Maven or DroneLink on my phone and fly the Air 2 with them.

It’s irritating that the RC 2 – which is just an Android device – is so locked down. Transferring screen recording and screenshots is unnecessarily complicated. And getting the RC 2 to download waypoints may not even be possible at the moment.

Another small irritation with the RC 2 is that the joysticks attach with a tiny and fragile-looking thread, which make it really easy to drop the sticks. I’m counting the hours before I drop a stick and never see it again.

The RC 2’s map downloading is ridiculous — and it’s not something I ever had to think about with my Air 2; my phone just downloaded them. You can download maps onto the RC 2, but only a postage stamp’s worth of territory at a time.

I don’t know what the battery life of the RC-N2 is versus the RC 2 or my old controller, but I find that I’m worried more about the battery level of the RC 2 than I’m used to being. Maybe it’s because the blinking battery-level lights are very prominent?

The RC 2 has its pluses. The extra buttons on the bottom side are very useful, and I adore being able to start Cruise Control using one of them. The screen is bright (though it’s actually a little smaller than my iPhone 14 Pro Max’s screen, which I didn’t expect). It is nice to be able to use my phone independent of piloting the drone.

Overall, I’m not as happy with the RC 2 as I expected to be, and at moments I regret having bought it. Some things may improve with firmware updates, hopefully. And being able to flick Cruise Control on so easily might just make up for all of the irritations.

Having said all that, the Air 3 kicks some serious ***, and you can’t really go too far wrong with either controller.
Everything you said is true for the previous RC non-2 version. For future buyers:
Mini 3 Pro is great.
Air 3 is probably great (I don't have one but it seems great.)
RC: Kind of lame with a heavy dose of planned obsolescence. It is aimed at first drone buyers. It can be improved a bit with the simple antenna mod.

If I had spare time I would sell my RC and replace it with an RC-N1 with a tablet holder.

Reactions: Thmoore
Everything you said is true for the previous RC non-2 version. For future buyers:
Mini 3 Pro is great.
Air 3 is probably great (I don't have one but it seems great.)
RC: Kind of lame with a heavy dose of planned obsolescence. It is aimed at first drone buyers. It can be improved a bit with the simple antenna mod.

If I had spare time I would sell my RC and replace it with an RC-N1 with a tablet holder.
There are strong hints that the RC 2 will soon receive a FW update to enable its use with the Mini 3 Pro and the Mavic 3 series for OS3 and OS3+ support. You'll then have the better external rabbit ear antennas, and the RC 2 USB-C port can be used with a specialized adapter to convert it to HDMI for larger external monitors.

Reactions: davidarmenb
There are strong hints that the RC 2 will soon receive a FW update to enable its use with the Mini 3 Pro and the Mavic 3 series for OS3 and OS3+ support. You'll then have the better external rabbit ear antennas, and the RC 2 USB-C port can be used with a specialized adapter to convert it to HDMI for larger external monitors.
What are these hints?

The RC 2, as currently advertised on the Adorama website, indicates backwards hardware compatibility with OS3 and OS3+, likely coming from a future FW update.
Interesting, thank you! It sure does!

Attachments

• IMG_5561.jpeg
    IMG_5561.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member