DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More precision, less lag with Mini 2's Ocusync interface?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've got a Mini 1 and I like it a lot, but for reasons unrelated to my question I bought an M2 Pro as well. What I noticed with the M2 is that I can make very quick tight maneuvers, almost like barrel racing. I cannot do the same with my Mini. Hold that thought for a moment. I have been practicing flying my Mini indoors in tight spaces and have some ideas about filming home interiors, even with a lightweight superwide camera mounted on top. However, I find that fine control of the Mini 1 is a little tricky. When flying through doorways it seems that the close proximity of the doorways disturb the air column to the point where fine control gets challenged, no matter how slow. I have to be super careful to make certain I go through passages dead center because I need extra time and space to react to any uncommanded deviation that the Mini might make.

My question is- Will the Mini 2 be more responsive with less lag because of the Ocusync? Or will the new Ocusync only help in longer range signal strength or limiting interference? I know... Much is speculation, but wondering how much of my M2's responsiveness is due to reduced lag/response?

@vindibona1 i think that what you are experiencing ,with the Mini versus the M2P is mainly down to the power of the motors and the mass of the drone
although the MM is a lot smaller and lighter it also has a lot less power simply because it has a less powerful battery it was the first DJI drone to only have a 2 cell battery,also when you mentioned the flying through a door frame, its weight means it is going to be influenced far more by air movement from the surroundings it is flying through than the heavier M2P
the bigger mavics are amazingly stable if they are flown in tripod mode
i dont believe that the Occusync will make any difference to the response of the drone when it is being flown, it should improve the response time of the video signal coming back to the RC ,or lag as its called the main improvement of Occusync over just basic WIFI is the stability of the signal and its resistance to outside interference ,although it is by no means impervious to such interference depending on what that might be

I've got a Mini 1 and I like it a lot, but for reasons unrelated to my question I bought an M2 Pro as well. What I noticed with the M2 is that I can make very quick tight maneuvers, almost like barrel racing. I cannot do the same with my Mini. Hold that thought for a moment. I have been practicing flying my Mini indoors in tight spaces and have some ideas about filming home interiors, even with a lightweight superwide camera mounted on top. However, I find that fine control of the Mini 1 is a little tricky. When flying through doorways it seems that the close proximity of the doorways disturb the air column to the point where fine control gets challenged, no matter how slow. I have to be super careful to make certain I go through passages dead center because I need extra time and space to react to any uncommanded deviation that the Mini might make.

My question is- Will the Mini 2 be more responsive with less lag because of the Ocusync? Or will the new Ocusync only help in longer range signal strength or limiting interference? I know... Much is speculation, but wondering how much of my M2's responsiveness is due to reduced lag/response?

Unfortunately in DJI Fly you can't change the yaw rates for the Mini like you can for the MA2, maybe with the MM2 they will turn on this function for the MM1 as well.
Also the MM1 has a built in sensitivity that that slows the yaw exponentially where it appears to lag to control inputs.

Reactions: old man mavic
Be aware that the yaw control on the MM has a slight lag built in to it. Watch closely as you yaw left or right and you'll notice that the camera (and gimbal) initiates the yaw approximately 0.5sec ahead of the body of the aircraft. Stopping the maneuver is a reverse of this with the camera stopping movement, and then the aircraft. This results in a slightly sluggish feel to the yaw control.

There are a few firmware parameters that can be tweaked to change this behaviour (look for "gimbal_follow" in the parameter name), so that the aircraft body starts yawing as soon as the sticks are moved, with the camera "following" to smooth out the starts and stops of the move. I used drone-hacks to modify the parameters and the result is a much crisper, snappy yaw control. This won't fix the drift you can experience when flying indoors and near walls/doors etc, which is a result of the MM being small, light and low powered.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters