DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mosaic pattern on DNG raw photos

Interesting, it seems like it could be the firmware then. DNG is universal so even with a new camera old software should be able to read it. My old Lightroom even has the correct lens corrections for the lens on this Mavic 3, and states the correct model L2D-20C, as it is built into the DNG spec so no update is needed.
Lightroom will open it, and that model info is just supplied via the EXIF metadata. Adobe Camera Raw, the raw converter, frequently receives feature updates to improve compatibility with camera models. Even if it's just simple stuff like the amount of vignette correction applied. Here's an example list from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

The Mavic drones are the only time I've worked with DNG files (all my cameras produce proprietary raw files) but I was a bit puzzled how software would need an update to work with a standard file type. I understand why raw converters need updates for new raw files when they're proprietary since each is different but didn't think the same should apply to DNG files.
DNG is standard, but the raw information within can be "decoded" better with an update.

For an analogy, DNG is like a book, and the story inside is being translated from Spanish. The current ACR processing is like a rudimentary translation, where the story makes sense, but doesn't sound good in English. After a compatibility update, the translation will sound more natural.

So figuring it has been enough time for them to materialize, I have been trying to find decent DNG files from the M3 to download and everything I have found thus far including the ones from dpreview have corners that look like total crap.

You would think at this point someone would have done a simple side by side, subject to subject comparison of the M3 vs the M2P. Thus far I am not at all seeing a reason to upgrade from my M2P from purely a photo standpoint, can't even find a sharp DNG from this thing, LOL!

everything I have found thus far including the ones from dpreview have corners that look like total crap.
Just to eliminate the obvious ...
What software are you using to view the dng files?

Just to eliminate the obvious ...
What software are you using to view the dng files?
Current versions of Adobe ACR via PS, Lightroom and even pre-soaked in DXO to attempt to clean up the corners.

The latest version of PS can view the M3 DNG file AND it has the correct lens profile for it too on the ACR. Good stuff!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: GadgetGuy
exactly the same "moiré" problems with DJI action 2 raw DNG files, in Affinity 2 or just preview or Quicktime... where does the problem comes from? the DNG format is not accepted?
thanks
Capture d’écran 2023-05-05 à 17.54.41.png

exactly the same "moiré" problems with DJI action 2 raw DNG files, in Affinity 2 or just preview or Quicktime... where does the problem comes from? the DNG format is not accepted?
thanks
View attachment 163707
Your dng files are fine and normal.
It's the software you are using to preview the files that's causing the issue.

thanks
View attachment 163707
It's an Apple issue. Read this post, with a response from DJI:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro