DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor Pitch Gimbal stuck / sand

Samon

Reactions
Following a crash in the sand ... The gimbal detects a resistance when starting the drone.
I feel a resistance (or jamming) when rotating the pitch motor of the nacelle.
I ask myself this question: how to clean the motor?
Thank you for your help

Thank you for your advice!
To give you more detail, the drone fell on a beach of volcanic sand and this sand is a fine metal dust that sticks to magnetic surfaces ...
I don’t know if the blower will be enough to clear out the sand or if you have to try to disassemble the motor ??
I saw some tutorials to disassemble the motor of the propellers, some tutorials to disassemble the gimbal, but nothing about the disassembly of the motors gimbal ...
Thank you for your help!

Try compressed air, but dont blow it into the fan grill, blow it down or away.

You can try to blow it and see the result. If you are not getting any error messages, then do your best to clean it, and thats all you can do. If your video is stable, and there doesnt seem to by anything wrong with your feed, you could just fly it as is. If it really bothered you, you can replace the gimbal motor assembly. You can't repair or clean the individual motors, they are maintenance free.

Last edited:
I would pull it apart and pack blu-tack into the motor bells to remove the iron sand, compressed air won't blow out much since the magnets in the motors are so strong. (I've done this to a drone that fell in the same sort of sand in New Zealand, it is not good)

You probably should check inside the body as well.

I would pull it apart and pack blu-tack into the motor bells to remove the iron sand, compressed air won't blow out much since the magnets in the motors are so strong. (I've done this to a drone that fell in the same sort of sand in New Zealand, it is not good)

You probably should check inside the body as well.

I am pretty sure you cant pull Mavic motors apart.

I would like to open the gimbal motors to clean from clay. I had been trying to find details to this without success.

Has any of you successfully opened the gimbal motors?

They cant be opened, they are maintenance free and sealed. You can try to blow them out with compressed air. Are you getting any gimbal error messages?
Yes, overload. One of the motors is working when mavic is turned on. The clay is like concrete. The mavic was full of it.

Yes, overload. One of the motors is working when mavic is turned on. The clay is like concrete. The mavic was full of it.
If any of the motors are getting hot after you cleaned them, just shut it down and you might need to buy a new gimbal motor assembly.

BTW- Is there any tools to debug the gimbal (motors)?

The DJI assistant is showing the Gimbal Pitch, Row & Yaw values when the gimbal is turned manually in Simulator mode

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000