DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motorcycle help?

HD05FLSTCI

Reactions
So I'm taking a trip in August with a buddy of mine, looking at 7 states 5 days. Doesn't sound like much but we're running the entire states of RI, CT MA, ME, NH, VT over into upstate NY, going to try and throw PA into the mix to make 8. There's some great backroads I want to utilize the "follow me mode" . My question is what can I do with the controller so I don't have to hold it? Can I set the function and throw throw the controller in a saddlebag?
Thank you.

Reactions: gope_73
I haven't tried any of the Active Track features, but I did a quick Google search and found handlebar mounts for the controller.

Looks like they're for bicycles, but may fit the motorcycle too.

I wouldn't trust putting the remote somewhere that's not easily accessible.

Good luck and have a fun, safe trip.

Reactions: HD05FLSTCI
I suggest using a tank bag with the clear plastic top (where paper maps go) and put your controller in there.

That reminds me of when I used to snowmobile and a tank / map bag was a must have item.

The map portion of the bag may not fit the controller and device.

I had my Garmin GPS unit in a clear bag that would hang from the handle bars that worked well.

The GPS could see the sky and I could see the GPS.

Win, win. :)

Definitely find a suitable mount or map bag for the handle bars for the controller.
Also know exactly where the pause button is and practice using it quickly if ever the need arises.
You can always double back a little to get tracking again if it loses you.
You might find some fingerless gloves are handy for short durations during such flights.

Use extreme caution in this endeavor

Thanks for all the tips guys, the only places I really plan on using the drone for fly over follow me is wide open areas, I know they travel up to 45MPH but I'll keep my speeds under that. Tank bag will not work for me because I have a console right down the center of the tank. Dam Harley. I have several open roads where I live and plan on many test runs before I try it for the first time on a road trip.

How does VLOS work in that situation?
In the UK there is specific allowance in the drone rules which allow for "follow-me" type modes. Essentially you need to keep the drone within 50m of you, but don't need to maintain VLOS. There's still the responsibility on your shoulders as the pilot to do so safely. I think the European regs have similar provision, but haven't studied them so well

Not so helpful for folks in the USA though. Hopefully explicit provision for "follow-me" will make its way into regs worldwide soon though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada