DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

.mov files from Mavic 2 unreadable

macfawlty

Reactions
I just got my Mavic 2 and set it up for .mov file type. The files from the card display the size (resolution) and the file size. I transferred them over via a card reader. My Macbook (running Sierra) will not read them. I turned off the recording BEFORE shutting down (probably every time, but definitely the last flight).

I followed other suggestions from similar posts to put the card back in the Mavic2 and power it back up, leave it for a minute, them power down (theoretically allowing the M2 to finish 'indexing' or finishing the files or whatever). That didn't work.

I 'previewed' the files with the iPad mini I used as my flight display. I was able to view each one (the original and the cache versions). So the files are there, but the M2 has not coded them correctly or something. So unnerving. I never had this problem with my P3 4k files.

Let me see if I understand. The DJI_####.MOV (or .MP4) that was on the SD card on the M2Z can be played back by the iPad but not the MacBook?
I would think if the MOV file was not properly closed, it wouldn't' be readable by the iPad.

But assuming somehow the iPad is able to read the actual video off the file, even if the header is problematic, try following the steps in this webpage: Repairing Corrupt DJI Video Files
I was successful in fixing a file after my crash, though it turned out the video of the crash was fully intact, it was the short video testing the Mavic after the crash that was not fully closed.

You probably used H265 encoding (must use for D-Log). Sierra will not decode these files. This encoding is also know as HEVC. You must upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave for them to work,

Reactions: fishawk
Yup, must be a H264/265 issue. I had to upgrade OS on my Mac to view 265. Try recording in 264 if you don't need 10bit d-log.

Reactions: wsteele
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb