DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

movie files over 4GB?

The simple reason is, that android/windows use a file alloction system that restricts the filesize to around 4GB. This is from the ancient times that no one ever thought you would need more then 1 GB storeage in a computer, since tapes where State Of The Art.
Apple uses another system and has no problem with bigger files.
As I edit my videos most of the time, I have not noticed any missing frames, so for the quality of the result, it seems to be irrelevant.

This is not correct, Microsoft's NTFS file system supports larger than 4GB files and it's been the default file format for consumer Windows installations since Windows XP and much longer for their business operating systems right back to NT3.1 in 1993. Windows ME was the last Windows desktop OS to use FAT32 as a default which was 20 years ago. Android supports various file systems including ext4 and exfat neither of which have a 4GB limit.

Before exfat, the older FAT32 standard was common for USB drives and memory cards (since it was well supported under Linux, Windows and OSX) which does have the 4GB limit but exfat is now the standard for larger capacities and it doesn't have the 4GB limit plus the Mavic does support it.

The 4GB limitation in this case isn't the file system it's the 32 bit video codec which is responsible for the 4GB limit so it doesn't matter what format you use on the memory card, you'll still have the same limitation.

Last edited:
This is not correct, Microsoft's NTFS file system supports larger than 4GB files and it's been the default file format for consumer Windows installations since Windows XP and much longer for their business operating systems right back to NT3.1 in 1993. Windows ME was the last Windows desktop OS to use FAT32 as a default which was 20 years ago. Android supports various file systems including ext4 and exfat neither of which have a 4GB limit.

Before exfat, the older FAT32 standard was common for USB drives and memory cards which does have the 4GB limit but exfat is now the standard for larger capacities and it doesn't have the 4GB limit plus the Mavic does support it.

The 4GB limitation in this case isn't the file system it's the 32 bit video codec which is responsible for the 4GB limit so it doesn't matter what format you use on the memory card, you'll still have the same limitation.
Ahhh, this makes more sense.
Cheers.

Before exfat, the older FAT32 standard was common for USB drives and memory cards which does have the 4GB limit but exfat is now the standard for larger capacities and it doesn't have the 4GB limit plus the Mavic does support it.

Except these drones don't use NTFS, so file size limitation of NTFS is not relevant.

Except these drones don't use NTFS, so file size limitation of NTFS is not relevant.

I never said they did, the person I was quoting said neither Android or Windows used filesystems that allowed files over 4GB which is incorrect and why I was explaining both Android and Windows do.

Reactions: gb160
Test update.

I formatted a small card in the Air 2 and it (surprisingly to me) formatted it in exFAT. Will try one of the older drones soon.

I have no idea what codec is used, but clearly there are many that allow larger file sizes. I did read that the default Android mp4 encoders do limit to 4GB, so that may be part of (or the entire) reason as well.

Test update.

I formatted a small card in the Air 2 and it (surprisingly to me) formatted it in exFAT. Will try one of the older drones soon.

I have no idea what codec is used, but clearly there are many that allow larger file sizes. I did read that the default Android mp4 encoders do limit to 4GB, so that may be part of (or the entire) reason as well.

I was wondering that as well since there's quite a bit of talk about the new version of Android using a 64-bit variant to allow larger files but I've no idea what the internal setup is for the Android OS on the Mavic drones.

Oh, I see! So even though exFAT allocations can work with files up to 512TB, the embedded onboard video codec is only 32-bit, and can only address 4GB. So even if you shoot video for the entire length of battery life on a flight, you're going to end up with several video segment files no larger than 4GB, and a run time for each no longer that what that 4GB translates to, based on resolution and frame rate. I'm going to have to crash edit these segments in post in order to get the entire thing in one go? Wow! That kinda sucks. Why do they still have anything onboard that only works in a 32-bit address space?! I wonder how good the MA2 will be at not leaving any frames on the "cutting room floor". Anybody tried editing their segments together to see if there's any jump?

Oh, I see! So even though exFAT allocations can work with files up to 512TB, the embedded onboard video codec is only 32-bit, and can only address 4GB. So even if you shoot video for the entire length of battery life on a flight, you're going to end up with several video segment files no larger than 4GB, and a run time for each no longer that what that 4GB translates to, based on resolution and frame rate. I'm going to have to crash edit these segments in post in order to get the entire thing in one go? Wow! That kinda sucks. Why do they still have anything onboard that only works in a 32-bit address space?! I wonder how good the MA2 will be at not leaving any frames on the "cutting room floor". Anybody tried editing their segments together to see if there's any jump?
There are no missing frames mate, I've joined them several times (with ffmpeg).
It's a pita but the result is flawless.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d