DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP b-day gift to 16 year old

vega

Reactions
Hello all, my friends nephew is coming to visit and he bought him a MP for his b-day. I think he has flown a bit with a friends spark but that's it. I think its a crazy idea (My friend who bought the gift said he asked him what he wanted and of course the kid says MP, generous uncle.) Anyway, I've been asked to give him a few pointers. ( I've been flying for 4 years starting with tiny hubsans and up to Hubson 501s, then 2 years ago my Phantom. I bought my mavic a few months ago and it's just like a small Phantom to me and I am very comfortable flying it.)

I believe any pilot should be able to completely control a craft in atti or manual mode just in case. What can I show the kid in just a day? Any suggestions appreciated. Also, I still have my 501s and a couple of the little ones that might help. Thanks all.

Hello all, my friends nephew is coming to visit and he bought him a MP for his b-day. I think he has flown a bit with a friends spark but that's it. I think its a crazy idea (My friend who bought the gift said he asked him what he wanted and of course the kid says MP, generous uncle.) Anyway, I've been asked to give him a few pointers. ( I've been flying for 4 years starting with tiny hubsans and up to Hubson 501s, then 2 years ago my Phantom. I bought my mavic a few months ago and it's just like a small Phantom to me and I am very comfortable flying it.)

I believe any pilot should be able to completely control a craft in atti or manual mode just in case. What can I show the kid in just a day? Any suggestions appreciated. Also, I still have my 501s and a couple of the little ones that might help. Thanks all.

... Just let him watch you fly your Mavic, perhaps at a measured pace a little slower than you're used to operating at so he has a chance to follow along.
Avoid a lot of "you should do this" and "you should do that", just let him watch you fly.

Reactions: BangkokFlyBoy
... Just let him watch you fly your Mavic, perhaps at a measured pace a little slower than you're used to operating at so he has a chance to follow along.
Avoid a lot of "you should do this" and "you should do that", just let him watch you fly.
Thanks, I've never met him but I am sure he's a smart kid.

Make sure he is aware the MP is a photography drone and not a racing drone. Get him interested in the photography/videography capabilities of the MP, not the speed and distance. Explain to him what the RTH and OA does, and not to rely on it, but use it only when necessary.

Reactions: vega
Make sure he is aware the MP is a photography drone and not a racing drone. Get him interested in the photography/videography capabilities of the MP, not the speed and distance. Explain to him what the RTH and OA does, and not to rely on it, but use it only when necessary.
Very good point. I'm getting some good primers on what to do and not to do. Great advice. Thanks folks, I'm an old timer that's always learning a thing or two.

I train people on operating stage lighting consoles, and getting people to watch you do it is not the best way, they will soon lose attention and won't remember stuff.

The best way to learn is for him to fly it while you instruct. Start with the drone set to beginner mode and pick a nice flat open space. Start with flying away from you (back of drone facing you) so you don't get the problem with reversing the directions. Give him some challenges (put an object on the ground to take a photo of, and to orbit round and take a video of, or something like that)

That's how I'd do it anyway. Hope that helps...

Reactions: Cuervo and JoostGT3
You could also link your RC to his AC as the secondary controller and let him fly it with that one. While you monitor using his controller as primary. If he does something wrong, you can takeover,blocking his inputs.

I just gave my nephew a refurb Phantom 4 because I had previously flown with him and knew he wanted one (call me crazy, but he's a good kid, honor roll, well behaved, etc). I spent a day flying with him at his house to be sure he was comfortable with all of the operational aspects of the P4. I focused on pre-flight inspection and setup, including calibration of IMU using DJI Assistant 2. Also covered DJI Go 4 including registering with DJI. We were at it for a good 4-5 hours.

I followed this with a couple discussions regarding why drones crash (GPS not locked yet, compass errors from bad takeoff points, taking off with low battery and RTH settings and how they can impact control).

I also told him to read every lost/crashed drone post he can find, as well as youtube videos, so he can keep learning all the things he should avoid doing if he doesn't want to crash. This forum and Phantom forum have been educational to say the least.

Regards,

Bob

Just mention all the great videos about flying the MP on Youtube.
The way kids are now with Youtube, he'll take in far more from that than listening to you. ( no offence:D )

Let him know that it's a serious piece of kit and, although it's a joy to fly, if he isn't careful, most accidents will result in serious money to repair (providing he gets it back at all).

Then let him enjoy it.
Lucky himThumbswayup:)

You could also link your RC to his AC as the secondary controller and let him fly it with that one. While you monitor using his controller as primary. If he does something wrong, you can takeover,blocking his inputs.
That's a great idea. Thanks

Using a hubsan (or similar non gps, atti mode only) midsize drone. To small, and he will only be fighting the breeze.

Throw down a hula hoop (or something similar) on the ground, and tell him that is the target for hovering. When he can hold that position, shrink it down by about half size.

Then, have have him practice figure 8s, both, left and right handed.

All of this in ATTI or manual mode.

Then, he is ready, grasshopper.......

Before the visit:
  • Ask him to watch crash videos on YouTube. They will entertain him and teach him what not to do.
  • Have him watch this beginner's video:
    There are others out there that you may prefer more but this one is good without a lot of BS.
  • Have him activate the MP with DJI and install any updates that are required to let him fly. You want him ready to fly when he visits.
  • Register his Refresh policy or other insurance if purchased.
  • He can use the flight simulator. It may bore him but could be of value.
During the visit:
  • Stress the importance of VLOS, under 400' elevation, not flying over people, etc.
  • Go through the RTH functions.
  • Teach flying etiquette, i.e. no hovering low observing people, looking in windows, that type of thing.
  • Explain the benefits of having a tailwind assist on returning.
  • Select a wide-open flying area with few obstructions.
  • Use a pre-flight checklist.
  • Before taking off, confirm that you have solid GPS (9+ satellites), the HP is set, and the app directional pointer and MP are pointed in the same direction.
  • Keep it in beginner mode and let him fly it.
  • Once comfortable, take it out of beginner mode and let him see how quickly he can lose sight of it.
  • Have fun!

Give him a cheap drone that sells sent autonomous like the MP. Tell him to fly the heck out of it and when he demos good pilot abilities give him the MP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS