DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPP Waypoints...

Badgersurfer

Reactions
I just need to clarify something regards waypoints. I am a new MPP pilot and haven't used waypoints yet. I have watched numerous videos and have drawn the conclusions that I can only use waypoints on my MPP if I actually fly to them and plot them and then save the plots. As far as I can understand I would have to upgrade to a Mavic 2 to be able to pre-plan my waypoints or use Litchi. I am a little nervous about using a third party software such as Litchi with my little amount of experience of Mavic drone flying although I do have 50 years+ in R/C flying so not easily spooked :) Am I correct in my thinking and perhaps someone could advise on whether Litchi would be a good choice.

Reactions: PaulDoneDrone
I cannot advise on Litchi, but you are correct for the Go 4 app to have to fly the route first. There are limits to the distance from home point, but those can be overcome if need be.

Reactions: Badgersurfer
I just need to clarify something regards waypoints. I am a new MPP pilot and haven't used waypoints yet. I have watched numerous videos and have drawn the conclusions that I can only use waypoints on my MPP if I actually fly to them and plot them and then save the plots. As far as I can understand I would have to upgrade to a Mavic 2 to be able to pre-plan my waypoints or use Litchi. I am a little nervous about using a third party software such as Litchi with my little amount of experience of Mavic drone flying although I do have 50 years+ in R/C flying so not easily spooked :) Am I correct in my thinking and perhaps someone could advise on whether Litchi would be a good choice.
I have used Litchi for over 80 missions with my Mavic Air and never had a problem. It is easy to program using the Mission Hub- Mission Hub - Litchi. I believe that it is compatible with an MPP but this you can check on the Litchi website.

Litchi works great with a Pro. You can do full planning at home, fly it in Google maps and then go outside. There is an excellent manual about your manual functions, (camera & drone) while flying. You can modify settings when in the field. A few tips: using curved turns does not allow for automated actions between the first and last point, setting cruising speed to 0 gives complete manual speed control and lastly remember to set all your heights as AG, (above ground), unless you have a reason for above startup elevation. Also do a search for "Spiral Mission Maker for Litchi" (free).

I have an MPP also at my old age 84 my eyes are not what they use to be. So I bought Litchi $39.00 US. best thing I ever did. As I can plan my flights on my home computer then go out & fly the waypoints using my C.S. 7.8" I fly way out over my farm looking for deer. So by planing a route on Litchi & can use it over & over. all I have to do is look at the screen to see if there are any deer.

Reactions: RonSpooner
I have an MPP also at my old age 84 my eyes are not what they use to be. So I bought Litchi $39.00 US. best thing I ever did. As I can plan my flights on my home computer then go out & fly the waypoints using my C.S. 7.8" I fly way out over my farm looking for deer. So by planing a route on Litchi & can use it over & over. all I have to do is look at the screen to see if there are any deer.
Thanks for that, you have also answered my other question that I posted on another thread about the CS. I currently use an iPad Mini 4 but it is a bit dim. I didn't know whether to go the extra mile and get the CS Ultra. What do you use? What's your opinion on the Ultra?

Thanks for that, you have also answered my other question that I posted on another thread about the CS. I currently use an iPad Mini 4 but it is a bit dim. I didn't know whether to go the extra mile and get the CS Ultra. What do you use? What's your opinion on the Ultra?

I tried all the smartphones, tablets I had here. With Macular Degeneration in one eye, I needed something really bright. I read all the posts on CS Ultra & finally took the plunge & bought a used one on eBay. The seller had 100% on the side. (the unit was in great condition)
This is the best choice I ever made. Now I can see what my MPP see's through the camera even in bright sunlight.
I debated on the 1,000 nits or the 2,000 nit one. After a lot of research & went for the 2,000 one. I'm a very happy drone flyer now.
Since I only fly my drone over my farm & also the house Extention for G.K's next door, the Litchi was a must.

I tried all the smartphones, tablets I had here. With Macular Degeneration in one eye, I needed something really bright. I read all the posts on CS Ultra & finally took the plunge & bought a used one on eBay. The seller had 100% on the side. (the unit was in great condition)
This is the best choice I ever made. Now I can see what my MPP see's through the camera even in bright sunlight.
I debated on the 1,000 nits or the 2,000 nit one. After a lot of research & went for the 2,000 one. I'm a very happy drone flyer now.
Since I only fly my drone over my farm & also the house Extention for G.K's next door, the Litchi was a must.
What is a CS Ultra?

I am not so interested in waypoints, so beside waypoints is there some strong benefits of using litchi ?

Once flown mission with the go app you can save this misson via setting as a favorite during setup or flight.

I have a MMP and use both DJI Go 4 and Litchi with no problems. I use Litchi to plan waypoint mission that have a possibility of losing connection to the RC. I live and fly in a heavily wooded area so I'm lucky to get half a KM before I loose signal and Litchi has never NOT completed its mission with or without connection. I would prefer to use only DJI Go4 but the waypoint mission set up using Google Maps and the mission editing features Litchi provide make it hard not to like.

I have a MMP and use both DJI Go 4 and Litchi with no problems. I use Litchi to plan waypoint mission that have a possibility of losing connection to the RC. I live and fly in a heavily wooded area so I'm lucky to get half a KM before I loose signal and Litchi has never NOT completed its mission with or without connection. I would prefer to use only DJI Go4 but the waypoint mission set up using Google Maps and the mission editing features Litchi provide make it hard not to like.
Do you still get video feed?

You get the video feed until you loose connection, then it freezes on your screen. Sometimes the video feed freezes before the the RC looses connection but usually it happens around the same time. Litchi says "Connection Lost" and the RC controller goes into "Connecting" mode, trying to reestablish connection with the drone. As soon as the drone comes back into range, it automatically reconnects and continues with the mission it was already flying. It works great and can be a little unnerving when the connection is lost but it has really worked well for me and I have great confidence with it now. Understand that when Litchi is streaming video, it does not create a video cache on your smart device like DJI Go 4 does. It just streams it to you and you can see it same as DJI, just no caching. And of course, you get the raw footage captured on your SD card.

And just a couple more tidbits of information about Litchi and flying off connection. On any waypoint mission, either Litchi or DJI Go4, certain functions of the mission are loaded into the drone and other functions still are sent to the drone from the RC. They waypoint locations, altitudes and headings are all loaded into the drone at the start of the mission. Most camera functions like gimbal pitch angle, turning video on or off or taking a photo are controlled by the RC during the mission and sent to the drone. Even the speed of the drone seems to be sent to the drone by the RC. For example, lets say you set up a mission to fly to a couple waypoints and you want to change your speed or or take a photo or video starting at the second waypoint. If your drone is still connected, all these actions will occur as defined in the mission. But if the drone goes out of range, the drone will proceed to all the waypoints and fly to all altitudes you may have specified and point to your point of interest but your camera action will not happen since the RC can't tell the drone to perform it. Same with a gimbal pitch change. Its a bit of a nuisance but once you get what it will and won't do on its own, the benefits of being able to fly over the tree line outweighs the shortcomings. In simple terms, it will fly exactly where you want it to fly and the altitudes you define but the gimbal pitch it has when it looses signal stays put until connection is reestablished. Same with speed. Whatever it has when connection is lost it stays with. So I usually start the video at the beginning of the mission. Or if I want photos, I'd set up a repeating capture at 5 second intervals or whatever knowing I'd get a shot at my waypoint. I have to set the gimbal pitch based on the altitude I am flying before I start the mission and hope to get the shot I want. I see what I get, make adjustments to the mission and fly it again until I get what I want. I know this is probably too much information but you will have these issues with both Litchi and DJI Go 4 once you go off signal. Its just the way DJI has engineered the drone firmware. Litchi is stuck with the same limitations as DJI with what they load into the drone for a mission. I guess it boils down to most flying and navigation functions are loaded into the drone for waypoint missions but most camera related function are still sent via the RC to the drone during the mission. Like I don't understand why speed changes would'nt be part of the information carried by the drone, but I can tell you that it will NOT change the drones speed at a waypoint if its off signal. Same with gimbal pitch. If I'm going to a POI at 150 feet I might use a 16 degree down pitch on the gimbal but if I drop low and want to look straight ahead then I would want a 0 pitch or 5 degree down pitch. So I just have to set to pitch before I leave to get the shot I am really wanting. You get used to it and I still think it works great overall. Sorry for the long winded reply.

Litchi is great, but you can use DJI mission android app, it will allow you to design the mission and it will import all the waypoints to DJI app, this way you are flying with DJI application, not the third party, having said that litchi is as good if not better from DJI go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61