DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MSC cruise ship video. MP2. Best night settings?

Can’t give you any advice, ain’t got a clue when it comes to videoing but I enjoyed your vid, not to long;)

What location was it?

Reactions: MKurr
Can’t give you any advice, ain’t got a clue when it comes to videoing but I enjoyed your vid, not to long;)

What location was it?
Thanks. Yes, I try to edit my uploads now to short more cinematic videos instead of long shots/ the whole flight. May be wrong but I think people prefer it generally... personally not a fan of the long drawn out ship chase videos.

Southampton, south coast of England.

Sorry.... just seen the title on the video, what a wally I am:rolleyes: uh another UK flyer, good manThumbswayup

The only time I’ll watch a long video is if it’s interesting from the start. People do get bored with long videos, well I think they do anyway, but the same as you I could be wrong;)

I’ll keep an eye out for more of your vids;)

Enjoy

The best thing I've found with night videos is to film just before full darkness when there is still a little bit of light in the sky, that makes it look so much better. Obviously you have to find a ship moving at the right time - or film at the right time of year when the ship is just leaving as darkness falls.

Sorry.... just seen the title on the video, what a wally I am:rolleyes: uh another UK flyer, good manThumbswayup

The only time I’ll watch a long video is if it’s interesting from the start. People do get bored with long videos, well I think they do anyway, but the same as you I could be wrong;)

I’ll keep an eye out for more of your vids;)

Enjoy
Cheers. Feel free to check out my YouTube channel, got a few videos up, been mainly only drone based videos the last few years.

I don't think you could get much better, leaving it on auto would probably do OK too :rolleyes:
The lit parts are actually very bright with a subject like that.
Yes that’s the main issue, lots of bright lights, the only issue I can see with auto is lots of exposure changes with all the differently lit areas...

But yeah I thought it looked good, just as good as the results I’ve had with my old P4 Pro so cant complain. Will just have to do a bit more experimenting with a less time criticism subject!
Thanks

The best thing I've found with night videos is to film just before full darkness when there is still a little bit of light in the sky, that makes it look so much better. Obviously you have to find a ship moving at the right time - or film at the right time of year when the ship is just leaving as darkness falls.

Thanks, yes sunsets/ dusk are always great time to film. I try to capture the first visits, new ships etc arriving at Southampton so only really have the arrival or departure times to pick from though.
But yeah find these types of night shots make editing quite difficult as noise and artefacts appear in the large black areas around the ship when the ship itself looks great with some more significant tweaks...

Did you cruise on MSC or just taken from the dock? I am going on the Bellissima in April in Italy. I have taken my Pro on NCL and Carnival without issue. I planned to bring just my Air.

Did you cruise on MSC or just taken from the dock? I am going on the Bellissima in April in Italy. I have taken my Pro on NCL and Carnival without issue. I planned to bring just my Air.
Sadly not. Just from the shore. I don’t know I’m afraid, I have taken my old Phantom 3 when I went on a cruise a few years ago with P&O and they were fine however the last time I went they were banned outright and even emailing them got a resounding no.

Pretty happy with my first night footage attempt with the MP2. Shot with 800 ISO at 1/30 shutter. What settings are you lot using?, being a moving target I didn’t have much time to experiment...

Where you onboard? Gorgeous footage, partner

I agree that the settings look perfect. Unless you tweaked the exposure in post, I'd say you've got very dark and nice blacks without blowing out the highlights. Good job.

Were you nervous flying across the bow or in front of the bridge?

Reactions: Lewberry6
I agree that the settings look perfect. Unless you tweaked the exposure in post, I'd say you've got very dark and nice blacks without blowing out the highlights. Good job.

Were you nervous flying across the bow or in front of the bridge?
Other than some colour grading as it was shot in d-log no, very little, the exposure etc. was pretty much left as it is.

Haha no, shot quite a few ships over the years. Just got to remember to not get distracted and slip behind anything that could block the signal. Only had one moment a few years ago where all I can think was a wooden marker post in the estuary blocked the signal, was a little worrying to loose feed for a few seconds in front of a line of impending shipping containers in this case but was far enough away and had RTH set to a correct height so was perfectly safe thankfully.

Had a few of the company’s share or comment on my videos as well so it’s good to know they don’t seem to mind if you are responsible filming them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven