DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Multiple Files When Recording Video

scott492010

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
the videos saved on my sd card are split up into multiple files at the size of 3.5 GB..... i would like to set it up so that it is one large file which would make it easier to edit in dashware..... I for the life of me cannot find this in the settings on the fly app.... could anybody tell me how to do it?

the videos saved on my sd card are split up into multiple files at the size of 3.5 GB..... i would like to set it up so that it is one large file which would make it easier to edit in dashware..... I for the life of me cannot find this in the settings on the fly app.... could anybody tell me how to do it?
This is normal and a restriction of the file format. During a continuous recording The end of one clip will align perfectly with the start of the next. Just need to drop them on the timeline in sequence.

Reactions: maggior
You can't, but it's easy to losslessly merge them after the fact with e.g. avidemux.

I am not sure how to do this on an SD card but if I load all videos into my video editing program (Premiere Pro), I can NEST them as one single clip. Highlight all clips>right click>Nest.

Dale

It's a limitation of the file system used on the SD card. FAT32 doesn't support file sizes larger than 4GB, and the drone doesn't support the ExFat format which would support it (some cameras models will format their cards as exfat to support larger files).

Also because it's a consumer drone, they will usually stick with FAT32 because the destination that a customer may wish to copy the files to off of the SD card may also be FAT32.

If the SD card were formatted as ExFat and you had an 8GB file, you wouldn't be able to drag and drop it onto an external hard drive or thumbdrive formatted as FAT32 which is pretty common to do. The operating systems' native format for the internal drive (Be it NTFS for Windows, HFS+ for Mac, or Ext4 for various Linux) typically can support files larger than 4GB. Also some of the software some consumers may use are not well suited for files larger than 4GB.

As Dale said, you can in some video editors show it as one seamless clip, Adobe Premiere can do that. Likewise in Davinci Resolve they can be merged as a compound clip if for some reason you need to see it as one continuous clip to drag around and trim.

It's a limitation of the file system used on the SD card. FAT32 doesn't support file sizes larger than 4GB, and the drone doesn't support the ExFat format which would support it (some cameras models will format their cards as exfat to support larger files).

Also because it's a consumer drone, they will usually stick with FAT32 because the destination that a customer may wish to copy the files to off of the SD card may also be FAT32.

If the SD card were formatted as ExFat and you had an 8GB file, you wouldn't be able to drag and drop it onto an external hard drive or thumbdrive formatted as FAT32 which is pretty common to do. The operating systems' native format for the internal drive (Be it NTFS for Windows, HFS+ for Mac, or Ext4 for various Linux) typically can support files larger than 4GB. Also some of the software some consumers may use are not well suited for files larger than 4GB.

As Dale said, you can in some video editors show it as one seamless clip, Adobe Premiere can do that. Likewise in Davinci Resolve they can be merged as a compound clip if for some reason you need to see it as one continuous clip to drag around and trim.
I have all my MSD cards formatted to EXFat with zero problems. Mini 2, Air 2S and RC Pro.

Everybody is going on and on about video editors.... i am having flashbacks of when i was a kid trying to talk to my grandfather. Are there really people out there that do not know you can combine all the videos? you can also merge them all with Dashware..... As stated in the origal post i am trying to make it easier on myself in dashware. The Air2s creates an individual .srt file for each little video. So i have to edit them in dashware each individually. if i goto airdata.com and download the csv then it is one file....but will it align with the merged videos? i doubt it. Neverthless, i just updated my windows and now dashware will not render any video at all....so i think its all a wash at this point. If i was to pay myself minimum wage... i could i have just bought the telemetry overlay software for $147. i might just wait unil the chinese get done torturing their people and then maybe they will upgrade the DJI products.

Last edited:
Everybody is going on and on about video editors.... i am having flashbacks of when i was a kid trying to talk to my grandfather. Are there really people out there that do not know you can combine all the videos? you can also merge them all with Dashware..... As stated in the origal post i am trying to make it easier on myself in dashware. The Air2s creates an individual .srt file for each little video. So i have to edit them in dashware each individually. if i goto airdata.com and download the csv then it is one file....but will it align with the merged videos? i doubt it. Neverthless, i just updated my windows and now dashware will not render any video at all....so i think its all a wash at this point. If i was to pay myself minimum wage... i could i have just bought the telemetry overlay software for $147. i might just wait unil the chinese get done torturing their people and then maybe they will upgrade the DJI products.
Or you could shoot at a lower video resolution (and fps if you are using 60 fps) and you would get a much longer video in a 3.7 GB file.

I basically use two apps: the first is AVIDemux; the second is Resolve

the first thing I do is transfer the raw video from the SD card to a hard drive on my PC since all my editing is done much faster on my HD

I will eventually archive my raw flight video, but first I merge with AVIDemux (after chopping out all the hovering during flights I do when I fiddle with camera setting, RTH settings, etc.). I then can end up with a 'final' raw video that can be 8-15GB. Simply merging (using append) the flight video's doesn't take long at all....like 10-20 seconds. Editing out segments takes longer but I think it's necessary.

after I have the finished raw flight video, I will open it in Resolve and do post editing....which mostly entails simply speeding up the flight so a 15-20 minute flight is 'efficiently' reduced to 5-8 minutes. Makes it less boring and monotonous.

I basically use two apps: the first is AVIDemux; the second is Resolve

the first thing I do is transfer the raw video from the SD card to a hard drive on my PC since all my editing is done much faster on my HD

I will eventually archive my raw flight video, but first I merge with AVIDemux (after chopping out all the hovering during flights I do when I fiddle with camera setting, RTH settings, etc.). I then can end up with a 'final' raw video that can be 8-15GB. Simply merging (using append) the flight video's doesn't take long at all....like 10-20 seconds. Editing out segments takes longer but I think it's necessary.

after I have the finished raw flight video, I will open it in Resolve and do post editing....which mostly entails simply speeding up the flight so a 15-20 minute flight is 'efficiently' reduced to 5-8 minutes. Makes it less boring and monotonous.
Why not skip the merge and go straight to Resolve? You can remove the hovering parts in DR pretty easily, as I'm sure you know.

Why not skip the merge and go straight to Resolve? You can remove the hovering parts in DR pretty easily, as I'm sure you know.
because I want to archive the actual raw video from the flights

the processed videos I make usually are sped up (by 2-4 times) and have a reduced bit rate. So if I still have the archived raw video I can use them again if I want to adjust my post settings or possibly merge clips from different flights

because I want to archive the actual raw video from the flights

the processed videos I make usually are sped up (by 2-4 times) and have a reduced bit rate. So if I still have the archived raw video I can use them again if I want to adjust my post settings or possibly merge clips from different flights
I archive my raw videos too, without having do do any processing. Maybe you save a fraction of storage by eliminating some parts, but how much? Given the price of storage these days (6 tb HDD 100 bucks) why bother?

Maybe you save a fraction of storage by eliminating some parts, but how much?
I'd usually end up throwing out >50% of stuff when I was doing that, but I haven't bothered in quite a long while.

Given the price of storage these days (6 tb HDD 100 bucks)
The price of properly managed storage with backups is about 3x that though ;)

I'd usually end up throwing out >50% of stuff when I was doing that, but I haven't bothered in quite a long while.

The price of properly managed storage with backups is about 3x that though ;)
How so? Unlimited online backup costs me about $120/year, but most of that is for other things. An external backup drive is often even less than a HDD to be installed in a computer, not that I bother anymore with online backup.

I archive my raw videos too, without having do do any processing. Maybe you save a fraction of storage by eliminating some parts, but how much? Given the price of storage these days (6 tb HDD 100 bucks) why bother?
I already explained that

if I want to watch a video, or share it, I much prefer a 6 minute version of a 15 minute video. For the same reason people take 30 pictures to use 3 or 4. Not every second of a raw video is necessary. A refined edited version is much more enjoyable in my view

and yes, I have 4TB USB 3.0 portable drive(s) for storage

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078