DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

my approach to drone flying

Great idea! I'll try it!
Happy flying

Can't remember who on here suggested it (maybe @old man mavic ) so I can't take credit for it but it works!!!

And that's in addition to the printed pre-flight checklist I keep in the case- that I clearly don't pay enough attention to ;)

my approach to drone flying ,is really no different to any other pilot
it does not matter whether you are flying a MM or a manned aircraft,the procedures are very similar
just because our drones are controlled from a position on the ground ,does not mean that we should not adopt many of the good practice procedures, that are the norm in aviation circles
(1) preflight walk around = check the drone for any damage or parts that have to be removed before flight ie gimbal cover
(2) flight plan = any airspace restrictions that may be in place at the time of flight
(3) weather local to destination= mostly local in our case,and a visual check on wind speed
(4)if flying from a unknown remote landing strip =check the surroundings for obstacles
(5)finally this applies to all pilots of any type of aircraft ,you are the PIC and the buck stops with you

Number 1 I forget, so a good reminder! The main thing with me is the propellers need to be checked before you fly, as even if you haven't biffed the drone, they do deteriorate and sometimes develop cracks. OK, most of the time I've picked it up because the noise is different but I can see the potential for disaster. I should be better on this front!

The thing I'd add is that we all fly to get pictures and not just to see it whizzing around above our heads. Therefore plan your flying around what you want to accomplish and think about the shots you need to get before you take off.

taped a short section of ribbon to my gimbal cover- haven't forgotten to remove it since !!! Added bonus- it looks even better with a pretty ribbon ? ? ?

When I peeled the stickers off the new MM I made sure I put something obvious on the Gimbal cover as a "remove before flight" signal.

When I learned to fly gliders we were taught "CB SIT CB", (Controls, Ballast, Straps, Instruments, Tabs, Canopy, Brakes -not bad having not flown one in 30 years !). In Scuba its "BWRAF" (Buoyancy, Weight, Releases, Air, Final OK).
I like "Final OK" because it covers "have we got a plan, are we happy with the conditions." If you're not happy or otherwise in the wrong frame of mind, don't start. (good advice above).
I haven't found a drone equivalent - again, lots of good material above, to which I'd add IS THE SD CARD IN ?
Props, batteries, memory, covers, readouts, hazards isn't a memorable list but probably where I'd start....

Back to Scuba - we plan air consumption as 1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 reserve (if some failure needs two divers to return sharing air, that will use twice what the journey out used). We also start against the current so the current brings us home. I'm baffled seeing videos of people who fly out past 50% assuming the wind will get them home on less than half a battery. You don't need to end with lots in the tank - you can fly / dive into the final 10% if it will only take 1% to get you home. But having 50% and expecting to use 49% is risky.

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
A very good write up and taking your time is a must. I got in a hurry once to catch some of the action that was happening around my house, launched with the precision setting as I always do. Except this time I didn't walk out far enough when i set the drone down and it took off into my pine tree:(

200 dollar repair bill will get you to look around every time, now.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
A very good write up and taking your time is a must. I got in a hurry once to catch some of the action that was happening around my house, launched with the precision setting as I always do. Except this time I didn't walk out far enough when i set the drone down and it took off into my pine tree:(

200 dollar repair bill will get you to look around every time, now.
EXACTLY ! Don't rush and always use a checklist.

Reminds me of a saying in the pilot world.... You only ever land with your gear up ONCE.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan