DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My drone "spying"

D-Wreck BXNY

Premium Pilot
Reactions
For safety reason I never try to fly over people. However, I have been amazed how stealthy my DJI Mini is. I have on multiple occasions flown merely 60 to 100 feet above tracks, ball games, people just congregating. And time after time (because I maintain VLS) I observe that almost all people don't even look up or notice the drone. I keep the drone hovering and film various activities with virtual anonymity.

Have other members had similar experiences?

Reactions: michael boeren
For safety reason I never try to fly over people. However, I have been amazed how stealthy my DJI Mini is. I have on multiple occasions flown merely 60 to 100 feet above tracks, ball games, people just congregating. And time after time (because I maintain VLS) I observe that almost all people don't even look up or notice the drone. I keep the drone hovering and film various activities with virtual anonymity.

Depends on how much noise is on the ground. Just remember to not be over them. I go to parks to practice in to film sports. What I do is talk to them. I offer to give them what I take. The answer has been always yes. Just a thought. Keep on droning!

There are a number of reasons that come into play. First yes the mini is relatively quite. When you describe flying above tracks and ballgames the noise floor at these events is pretty loud anyway. Then there is in this day and age people have been hearing drones for about 6 years so they may glance and not stare. Then there are ongoing national issues and people have other things to do than to stare at your drone. So yeah there could be many reasons people aren't "looking" at you. Personally I fly with stealth props and with normal sound floor in my area I go invisible at about 150'...I don't want nor need to spy on anyone...however...where I live..you don't want to be detected and at some events it's just plain distracting (Weddings and gatherings...ect) So I fly way high and stay way way back!:p

https://youtu.be/15aEygs2SQE

Last edited:
There are a number of reasons that come into play. First yes the mini is relatively quite. When you describe flying above tracks and ballgames the noise floor at these events is pretty loud anyway. Then there is in this day and age people have been hearing drones for about 6 years so they may glance and not stare. Then there are ongoing national issues and people have other things to do than to stare at your drone. So yeah there could be many reasons people aren't "looking" at you. Personally I fly with stealth props and with normal sound floor in my area I go invisible at about 150'...I don't want nor need to spy on anyone...however...where I live..you don't want to be detected and at some events it's just plain distracting (Weddings and gatherings...ect) So I fly High and stay way back!

https://youtu.be/15aEygs2SQE
Good point. Wind ground noise mask the sound. And I am not so interested that they "look at me". More I am fascinated how most people just do not notice the drone.

Careful - flying over anything that isn’t an empty open field 15 miles from town triggers most members here. But yeah, my Mav Mini is nearly silent 100-150ft up. I could imagine if you don’t “know” the sound you wouldn’t recognize it. I’ve heard the familiar buzz above me and been able to pinpoint a drone pretty easily but I also know what I’m hearing.

Careful - flying over anything that isn’t an empty open field 15 miles from town triggers most members here. But yeah, my Mav Mini is nearly silent 100-150ft up. I could imagine if you don’t “know” the sound you wouldn’t recognize it. I’ve heard the familiar buzz above me and been able to pinpoint a drone pretty easily but I also know what I’m hearing.
Yep, once heard it's done. Either that or murder hornets!?

15 miles from town in the Bronx is literally impossible. Lol.
I agree with you about "knowing" the sound. Even with moderate winds I notice the drone's sound appears to be 'masked'. Thanks for your feedback.

The visual line of sight is very importation !
Too many people would not follow the rules and end up hurting
pedestrians ! we have top have rules to govern the streets as well as the sky, I tell people that the Sheriff, State Police, Local Police govern the Land the F.A.A. Take care of the Sky !!

And you're still not supposed to fly over people. When the new rule takes effect, it doesn't apply to a mini 2 because it has exposed propellers.

Careful there.. .some of us who take this industry seriously will get triggered over flying OVER a person regardless how far from town you are. The regulations don't say anything about where you need to be in relation to distance from town to make flying over people ILLEGAL!

Over people is OVER PEOPLE regardless of city limits LOL!

And you're still not supposed to fly over people. When the new rule takes effect, it doesn't apply to a mini 2 because it has exposed propellers.
I literally began this post saying "For safety reasons I do not fly over people." Does anyone actually read the beginning of the thread or just sort of jump in after a few responses are read?

I literally began this post saying "For safety reasons I do not fly over people." Does anyone actually read the beginning of the thread or just sort of jump in after a few responses are read?

"I have on multiple occasions flown merely 60 to 100 feet above tracks, ball games, people just congregating. And time after time (because I maintain VLS) I observe that almost all people don't even look up or notice the drone."

Again I am not "over" them. Stop being smug. Take off your drone police badge.
Many are responding to a previous post (without quoting it) that might not be yours. So often while the OP states something early on, others are simply responding to the later responses by members. It might not be directed toward you. However you posted "I have on multiple occasions flown merely 60 to 100 feet above tracks, ball games, people just congregating. And time after time (because I maintain VLS) I observe that almost all people don't even look up or notice the drone. I keep the drone hovering and film various activities with virtual anonymity". So possibly poor wording on your part? How about I have on multiple occasions flown merely 60 to 100 feet above tracks, ball games, people just congregating but have always maintain a safe side distance away from actually being directly over them. And time after time (because I maintain VLS) I observe that almost all people don't even look up or notice the drone. I keep the drone hovering and film various activities with virtual anonymity.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Many are responding to a previous post (without quoting it) that might not be yours. So often while the OP states something early on, others are simply responding to the later responses by members. It might not be directed toward you. However you posted "I have on multiple occasions flown merely 60 to 100 feet above tracks, ball games, people just congregating. And time after time (because I maintain VLS) I observe that almost all people don't even look up or notice the drone. I keep the drone hovering and film various activities with virtual anonymity". So possibly poor wording on your part? How about I have on multiple occasions flown merely 60 to 100 feet above tracks, ball games, people just congregating but have always maintain a safe side distance away from actually being directly over them. And time after time (because I maintain VLS) I observe that almost all people don't even look up or notice the drone. I keep the drone hovering and film various activities with virtual anonymity.
I will surely work on my drone flying and English skills.

• Haha
Reactions: MMPerrish
Avoiding people in this pandemic is kind of like flying the drone. As long as you aren't breathing down anybody's neck you should be fine.

I noticed when I was filming along the canal yesterday that you could hardly hear it as there’s a rise that runs along it.
but when I fly it over a school field you can hear it even at 100ft up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura