DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My First Big Screw Up

MrMavic

Reactions
I'm somewhat embarrassed how this happened, but it was a tree contact at about 1/4 MPH speed. Mavic fell about 10 feet onto a thick pine needle bed, not a hard fall, and the only visible damage is the LR Motor Arm is out of place. The motors all still run fine and the camera seems OK. I just wanted to ask advice from others to see if you thought this is an easy fix, or best sent in for repair. The bummer part is, this was the first flight since I got it back from Thunder when he replaced the camera ribbon. I'm pretty upset with myself right now, but that's life I guess.
If anyone here has fixed an arm like this, tell me your experience .... How difficult? Thunder, I will PM you.IMG_0450.JPGIMG_0451.JPGIMG_0452.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: charliesRig
If you decide to fix it yourself, don't forget to address this issue. The screw that holds in the joint assembly has broken free from the frame, and the frame will either need to be repaired or replaced to finish the repair. You wouldnt want your arm moving while the drone is in motion.

Broken frame.JPG

If you decide to fix it yourself, don't forget to address this issue. The screw that holds in the joint assembly has broken free from the frame, and the frame will either need to be repaired or replaced to finish the repair. You wouldnt want your arm moving while the drone is in motion.

View attachment 54516
Any idea on cost if I send it to you?

I'm somewhat embarrassed how this happened, but it was a tree contact at about 1/4 MPH speed. Mavic fell about 10 feet onto a thick pine needle bed, and the only visible damage is the LR Motor Arm is out of place. The motors all still run fine and the camera seems OK. I just wanted to ask advice from others to see if you thought this is an easy fix, or best sent in for repair. The bummer part is, this was the first flight since I got it back from Thunder when he replaced the camera ribbon. I'm pretty upset with myself right now, but that's life I guess.
If anyone here has fixed an arm like this, tell me your experience .... How difficult? Thunder, I will PM you.View attachment 54507View attachment 54512View attachment 54513
Don't feel bad I had 4. All at the beginning of my flying carreer. Been flying for 2 years without a mishap now.... good luck....

Reactions: charliesRig
I'm somewhat embarrassed how this happened, but it was a tree contact at about 1/4 MPH speed. Mavic fell about 10 feet onto a thick pine needle bed, and the only visible damage is the LR Motor Arm is out of place. The motors all still run fine and the camera seems OK. I just wanted to ask advice from others to see if you thought this is an easy fix, or best sent in for repair. The bummer part is, this was the first flight since I got it back from Thunder when he replaced the camera ribbon. I'm pretty upset tT
Thanks for sharing
No advice....
In my opinion you doing the right thing.
That looks like more finessing then you could do with a Hammer. Vicegrip.& epoxy .
Let Rob do it....
he's in them all the time
You and I crack open our Mavic we won't see the little thing like a loose conector or shaffing
Rob will and do you right
His reputation depends on it
But you knew that already.

Most us Mavic fliers crash and some like you let us know when we do.
Some will not admit to making mistakes
Ego's
??
I feel it helps this community
Ya we screwed up....
this what it was and if we can't find a solution
You can get help here....

And like you this board is supported by Vendor's like "Thunderdrone"
so we should support them.... cR

I'm somewhat embarrassed how this happened, but it was a tree contact at about 1/4 MPH speed. Mavic fell about 10 feet onto a thick pine needle bed, and the only visible damage is the LR Motor Arm is out of place. The motors all still run fine and the camera seems OK. I just wanted to ask advice from others to see if you thought this is an easy fix, or best sent in for repair. The bummer part is, this was the first flight since I got it back from Thunder when he replaced the camera ribbon. I'm pretty upset with myself right now, but that's life I guess.
If anyone here has fixed an arm like this, tell me your experience .... How difficult? Thunder, I will PM you.View attachment 54507View attachment 54512View attachment 54513
Good flying my friend... it is made more enjoyable because it is "real". Takes awareness and responsiveness the whole 20-25 minutes.... slight error... costly in time if not in dollars..

Thanks you guys. I know I did the right thing sending it to Rob. He will fix it right, and it's just an expensive lesson because maybe I was a little too confident. I'm a little surprised the sensors didn't stop it being that close to the tree. I'll never trust the sensors that way again.

Prop guards or cages help a lot in slow, close-in flying.
Yeah, I usually don't fly in close like that, and maybe I should get some prop guards. I forgot to send a new set of props with the Mavic. I noticed some chips out of those that are on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom