DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My First Crash

Photobobhunt

Reactions
After about 18 months of flying, and on my second drone I finally had a crash. My first drone a Mavic Air 2, I flew for over a year with no issues. But I recently upgraded to a 2s.
While on a paying job, I decided to get a low angle shot and was looking at the subject (building) and not the drone, I flew it sideways into a tree.
Fortunately, it was very close as I watched the drone tumble from the high branches to the ground. With its arms bent upward and props whirling as it finally hit the ground, I had a sinking feeling.
With a little effort I was able to reset the rear arm and the LED that had come detached could be popped back in. And for the first time I got use from the spare props, since two were broken. I was able to complete the mission.
Today (a week later) I did a close inspection and replaced another prop that had a very small crack. Then decided to clean and re attach that LED assembly with a little RTV adhesive.
I was lucky, Just a few small scratches that are hardly noticeable and everything works as it should.
Moral: Pay attention........or you will pay.

After about 18 months of flying, and on my second drone I finally had a crash. My first drone a Mavic Air 2, I flew for over a year with no issues. But I recently upgraded to a 2s.
While on a paying job, I decided to get a low angle shot and was looking at the subject (building) and not the drone, I flew it sideways into a tree.
Fortunately, it was very close as I watched the drone tumble from the high branches to the ground. With its arms bent upward and props whirling as it finally hit the ground, I had a sinking feeling.
With a little effort I was able to reset the rear arm and the LED that had come detached could be popped back in. And for the first time I got use from the spare props, since two were broken. I was able to complete the mission.
Today (a week later) I did a close inspection and replaced another prop that had a very small crack. Then decided to clean and re attach that LED assembly with a little RTV adhesive.
I was lucky, Just a few small scratches that are hardly noticeable and everything works as it should.
There's an option in the Fly app to turn off sideways movements so that won't happen.

And for the first time I got use from the spare props,

Glad to hear a good outcome.👍

Here's my spare prop case.

20201112_145828 (1).jpg

Haven't had to open it yet. :)

flying sideways…always a favorite way to crash. My buddy crashed and lost is Mav3 flying sideways. Oh! You say it has sideway flight detection? Yep but…he flew it into snow on a glacier. nice, clean snow with no contrast for it to detect. :(

Reactions: AZDave and SeaPig
@ Photobobhunt, I'm glad it worked out for you. I know the feeling very well. I tell every pilot that I've trained that it's not a matter of if you crash, but when you crash. Anyone that flies long enough will most likely have a crash.

Reactions: SeaPig and MA2 317
On a recent flight week of flying with out Avata’s my buddy crashed 5 times. He was able to turtle up a couple of times but had to take a walk the other times. I never crashed. He got some better footage and in fact more than one I was following him through cactus and chuckled and went around. I‘m such a coward - actually just not capable of walking the distance needed and don’t want to ask him to go retrieve my drone so I have to be more circumspect.

Thank you for sharing that experience, and I'm glad your drone didn't suffer more serious injury. I just recently started flying my new Air 2s and have been trying to take it slow doing manual orbits around structures and have been impressed with the obstruction avoidance this drone has. That being said, I also know that feature is not enabled in all flight modes. I have struck two trees with my Mavic Mini (no avoidance detection). The first tree I hit, it fell harmlessly into a soft snow bank. The second accident I flew it into tree limbs in sideways flight where it got trapped, out of reach. I ended up buying a 24' collapsible paint pole to retrieve it. Unfortunately I missed catching it and it hit the pavement. Cracked the body in one spot, but I was able to glue it back together and it still flies great.
Trees + drone = bad results!

I Haven't checked this thread recently, but I'm glad to see so many people sharing their experiences with flying and crashing (LOL).
It takes a while to really get comfortable and I have learned to expect some mishaps.
Now I'm looking forward to finding more aerial photographic opportunities in the southwest.
I really enjoy and learn a lot from the flyers in this forum.

I don't like the sound of that, can you eloborate?
The left rear arm was raised above the plastic that acts as a stop, probably from landing on it, but there was no apparent damage. They must have enough flex in the joint because when I moved it back into position it was firm in the socket. No rattles.

• Wow
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Thank you for sharing that experience, and I'm glad your drone didn't suffer more serious injury. I just recently started flying my new Air 2s and have been trying to take it slow doing manual orbits around structures and have been impressed with the obstruction avoidance this drone has. That being said, I also know that feature is not enabled in all flight modes. I have struck two trees with my Mavic Mini (no avoidance detection). The first tree I hit, it fell harmlessly into a soft snow bank. The second accident I flew it into tree limbs in sideways flight where it got trapped, out of reach. I ended up buying a 24' collapsible paint pole to retrieve it. Unfortunately I missed catching it and it hit the pavement. Cracked the body in one spot, but I was able to glue it back together and it still flies great.
Trees + drone = bad results!
I feel your pain

I was flying my Phantom 4 Pro the one in my avatar to the left. I decided for the first time to put the drone into sport mode and that didn't work to well for me and a tree. I had some fun flying it at high speed, but I also forgot it turned off obstacle detection as well. I went 45 mph straight into a tree. Well maybe not that fast, but close. Luckily I only damaged the one landing gear. I had to take it to the repair shop to get fixed, but afterwards it flys like brand new. I learned a valuable lesson that day. I will always respect sport mode.

Not up with any of this stuff [now 80 and left me behind some time back] but is this available for the Mini 2? If so where/how
Mini 2 is my most recommended drone. I don't believe it has any accident avoidance.
As for 80, I'm coming up on it too and I find the best thing is to do new things.
Since I started flying, I got My 107 (which has paid for mt drones and the exam). Now I am shooting video again and am learning DaVinci.
I do miss many of the things I can't do anymore but enjoying the new opportunities. Stay Well

Mini 2 is my most recommended drone. I don't believe it has any accident avoidance.
As for 80, I'm coming up on it too and I find the best thing is to do new things.
Since I started flying, I got My 107 (which has paid for mt drones and the exam). Now I am shooting video again and am learning DaVinci.
I do miss many of the things I can't do anymore but enjoying the new opportunities. Stay Well
Thank you. I will never be in that league unfortunately. I realise there is no accident avoidance on the Mini 2 but my question was specific to your comment "There's an option in the Fly app to turn off sideways movement" and was wondering if the sideways movement can be toggled on/off for the Mini 2

It’s amazing how long you can fly when you avoid trees, water and high winds 😂. Good story I have learned a lot👍🏽

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580