DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first flight got me a job

Gut Stuff

Reactions
I have a favourite spot I love to fly with my phantom2v+, a county town golf course on the edge of a national park. I decided to go there for my maiden flight of my shiny new m2z. It performed beautifully and was a pleasure to fly compared to the constant struggle flying the P2V+.
As I was close to finishing my first and only battery (still waiting on the fly more pack), a bloke in a golf buggy came driving over. He introduced himself as a member of the golf club committee (past president) and said he had seen what he described as “ like a dragon fly hovering around, it was so stable”.
He then asked me what would I charge to video all 18 holes for a web based commentary on how a golfer could approach each hole. He then added, to keep in mind they are a club run by voluntary members.
Without hesitation, I offered my time and talent/or lack of, for free. I consider it a great way to further the acceptance of this technology, good pr and a great opportunity for me to learn all about this incredible craft.

Last edited:
That is a nice gesture of your part but keep it in mind that even if your work is voluntary without payment, you still need to register and take the 107 part license. Because this is not for fun, this is for a business that your doing the work for.

I don't think you need a 107 to donate time and film to a local business. If that business is going to use the file to generate income then maybe but to just show it to members to see how the course looks maybe not.

It is not for personal use..... I have done quite a few of those flights, and for free, but I am covered.

Here is a simple way of remembering 107 vs 336. If it is not for your personal use, it is 107.DJI_0984.JPGDJI_0985 (2).JPGDJI_0026.JPGDJI_0029.JPGDJI_0026.JPGDJI_0984.JPG

I don't think you need a 107 to donate time and film to a local business. If that business is going to use the file to generate income then maybe but to just show it to members to see how the course looks maybe not.
Yes you do. 100%. The flight would be done for the benefit of, or furtherance of, a business.

It’s different rules here guys, you need to register with CASA and follow their rules for drones under 2 kg.

Reactions: Jolly Dodger
Amazing how quick the assumptions kicked in.....

Wouldn't hurt to do the paperwork with CASA... Its a simple exercise.

Have fun!

I registered with CASA a couple of years ago, they just require a notification before you fly.
I had a fun day today trying different heights and speeds.
I need more batteries and waypoints I think would help.

Last edited:
LOL! as soon as I read the thread title, I knew this was going to be a "you cant do that" party for club 107!
But it's true, I do not have any 107 part but this does not only apply to the US. Everywhere in the world you will see that have a similar approach when someone fly a drone for a business. It does not matter if the deal involved money or not. Doing a job or voluntary work for a business it's considered a business work and needs some type of license. This is like me making cupcakes and giving to businesses for free as a voluntary work. Nope, the government does not see it that way.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
MOST 107's will probably makes HUNDREDS of dollars over the next year. Not hardly a business.
I am sure a lot of 107 holders have never even made a dime with it. They get it because it makes them feel superior.
A have a drawer full of certificates. For all kinds of things. I used to take every test I could find just to get another nice wall hanger of achievement. Until I realized they are just paper, and they dont MAKE people respect you.

I flew drugs to my buddies house... I didn't charge him. I'm sure his business benefited from it. I don't have 107. Am I a criminal?

lol... sorry just what came to mind.

I flew drugs to my buddies house... I didn't charge him. I'm sure his business benefited from it. I don't have 107. Am I a criminal?

lol... sorry just what came to mind.
I follow what the FAA suggest in the US. Piloting an UAV aircraft usually have two type of pilots: people who fly for fun or for commercial purposes. I am pretty sure that delivering drugs to some buddy's house does not constitute flying for fun.

I have a Part 107 and yes I do make money with it.

Having said that, I don't think the poster needs a Part 107 to do what he wants to as long as he or HIS business does not benefit in any way.

Just another excuse for the sheriffs to show everyone how knowledgeable they are.
As already stated, at this time (and it will be changing unfortunately) he needs no such equivalent as the 107 to conduct and donate, or even sell if he so chooses, this flight.
@macoman that’s BIG claim to know the laws everywhere in the world. You might need to do some reading up?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS