DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

my first flying day mishap

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
well it had to happen went out today ,to do some flying in new places,found a lovely rural setting with great views in the middle of nowhere,got permission to fly from a friendly land owner and got set up to fly ,once all was powered up the app screen informed me that there was no SD card in the mav of course when i checked it out there was indeed a SD card fitted,powered down everything and took out the card gave it a wipe and blew gently into the slot in the drone then put the card back in after starting it all up again the no SD card message had gone went to format card in settings, but when i did this it said no SD card formatting failed this card has done over 250 flights without any issues guess it was just worn out, but of course the one thing i did not have was a spare SD card with me so flying was out ,found a card in a supermarket some 30 miles away, and after inserting it all was well again,as you can guess i will be carrying a spare card in future

well it had to happen went out today ,to do some flying in new places,found a lovely rural setting with great views in the middle of nowhere,got permission to fly from a friendly land owner and got set up to fly ,once all was powered up the app screen informed me that there was no SD card in the mav of course when i checked it out there was indeed a SD card fitted,powered down everything and took out the card gave it a wipe and blew gently into the slot in the drone then put the card back in after starting it all up again the no SD card message had gone went to format card in settings, but when i did this it said no SD card formatting failed this card has done over 250 flights without any issues guess it was just worn out, but of course the one thing i did not have was a spare SD card with me so flying was out ,found a card in a supermarket some 30 miles away, and after inserting it all was well again,as you can guess i will be carrying a spare card in future
I've never used the card,always internal.

Good move ultimately. Being paranoid by nature, I always take a card for each battery I’m carrying.
Fly on my friend!

Reactions: charliesRig
Bummer. Sometimes its the littlest things! Glad it was a simple remedy.

Reactions: old man mavic
the only thing i can think of is taking it out of the mav putting into USB adapter then from adapter back to the mav all those times must have worn the contacts out cant complain really but a spare one will be a must from now on

Good feedback OMM ... Sorry to hear about your problem, but interesting to know that the SD card has a 250 flight - ish lifespan. Although I tend to always use the same card, I do actually carry a small box in my Mavic case that has one SD card for each battery I have (3) ... You may be able to recover the card with a full (rather than a 'quick') format - but personally, I'd not trust the card even if it did come back. Junk it & time for a new one ...

Good feedback OMM ... Sorry to hear about your problem, but interesting to know that the SD card has a 250 flight - ish lifespan. Although I tend to always use the same card, I do actually carry a small box in my Mavic case that has one SD card for each battery I have (3) ... You may be able to recover the card with a full (rather than a 'quick') format - but personally, I'd not trust the card even if it did come back. Junk it & time for a new one ...
i agree the card is toast it was so annoying at the time,i always transfer the days videos to my computer and save them on my hard drive then i format the card when i get to the first flight the next time i go out and this has always worked till today,
still lesson learned carry a spare card i will from now on i have 5 batteries for my MPP and a full days flying will be those 5 with about 18-20 mins of flight time per battery, i like to travel around looking for different places to film, there are so many wonderful vistas to capture in my part of the country.
i use a 64,gig ultra card and take 10-80 at 30 frames as my computer cant handle 4k in play back its to old a bit like me, i really enjoy viewing what i have shot when the weather is not suitable for flying

Reactions: charliesRig
thats the nature of SD cards that nobody really talks about, they have a finite number of erase/write cycles before they are done for good. also a problem with SSD hard drives in computers, and why many people run a standard hard disk for their work

Old man mavic, you had me thinking the unthinkable. The unthinkable happened to be a simple lesson. I am glad it was a simple unthinkable matter. Happy flying and don't forget the spare card...

Yes, always carry another sd card!! I bought another one that I always fit in my MP case since the day I walked a huge hike to go to a spot I wanted to film since a while, get there at the perfect hour with an amazing sunset over mountains... Powered on the drone, flew to the desired position, hit the record Button.... And the "no SD card" message appeared...
...yes, the SD card was still plugged on my PC , at home......... :(

What a coincidence to see this post today! I just went through 48 hours of angst (aggravation and worry) with an SD card problem. No, this was not a drone but the same principle applies. I made a very strenuous hike through the woods to an idyllic fly fishing hole I have always loved in Montana. I carried a ton of equipment here. Finally got set up for a timelapse study and it went well. When I tried to download the SD card my Mac Book Pro would not recognize it! Sh....! reinserted many times in the Mac card slot but no dice...no card seen! Then spent 2 hours support call with Apple Care. Their diagnosis...CORRUPTED card! I also had a 304 e-mail exchange with Sandisk company support. They said it was corrupted and I needed to buy a $36.00 recovery software to get my data!

I drove 45 minutes to town (Bozeman) and found an Apple dealer. He downloaded my precious data onto his computer then copied it to my new card and I retrieved the data and have a nice timelapse sequence saved! Moral of the story-carry an extra card. Cards can be corrupted.

Old man mavic, you had me thinking the unthinkable. The unthinkable happened to be a simple lesson. I am glad it was a simple unthinkable matter. Happy flying and don't forget the spare card...
thanks @silverdragon no i did not crash or loose my trusty MPP it is still perfectly fine ,but to me it was a mishap and something that i learnt the hard way,its part of lifes rich tapestry i guess

my MPP does not have an internal memory card unfortunately
Even if your mavic Pro doesn’t have the fixed internal as card there still
Should be an empty slot to be able to install one . Just scrape a little hot glue from around the slot to hinge it upward install the internal as card then put a dab of hot glue to hold its cage back in place before reassembling the craft

Even if your mavic Pro doesn’t have the fixed internal as card there still
Should be an empty slot to be able to install one . Just scrape a little hot glue from around the slot to hinge it upward install the internal as card then put a dab of hot glue to hold its cage back in place before reassembling the craft
SD CARD NOT AS CARD LOL **** AUTO SPELL !! Lol

thanks for the info i dont really want to dissemble my mav if i dont have to

Here is my 2 cents. Once I read someone advising about the SD cards using with drones, and I had to agree to better have multiple cards in case of failure, crash, etc.

Amazon has this special 2x32s for $15, and I bought also the card holder for $7 that holds 10 cards.

You have so much to lose in case a large capacity fails, money and footage.

Yes, always carry another sd card!! I bought another one that I always fit in my MP case since the day I walked a huge hike to go to a spot I wanted to film since a while, get there at the perfect hour with an amazing sunset over mountains... Powered on the drone, flew to the desired position, hit the record Button.... And the "no SD card" message appeared...
...yes, the SD card was still plugged on my PC , at home......... :(
This same thing happened to me and now I carry a minimum 1 extra in all drone cases.

I've never used the card,always internal.
Do you mean on your internal storage on phone or SD in Mavic Pro? I have a SD card in my Mavic, and you mean to tell me you can store photo and video that you captured with the Mavic? Please explain

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msherwood1954