DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first issue with my mavic RTH save the day

GRT

Reactions
I was flying today in windy conditions and lost control/power to battle against the wind. It was all recorded, I first noticed I had issues at 0:50, full throttle sports mode pointed at home and I was being blown back. I gained a little control but not for long, You can catch us leaving the park at 2:18 to give chase. We drive right past the drone at 3:15 not realizing, thinking it was further away. We drove so far I lost connection to the drone and as you see at 4:15 the RTH takes over and is able battle against the wind. The Mavic made it back to the park on its own and landed. I was in sports mode the whole time but I dont believe I was getting full power until the RTH took over

Reactions: dewster
On windy days I try to stay lower to the ground where the wind will tend to be less but the real key in my mind is to takeoff, hover and see how hard it's working to maintain position before you start moving away from your home point. Also, if possible start flying into the wind, that way you should always be able to get back home.

I just noticed the green mesh on the fence flapping, just how strong were the winds?

On windy days I try to stay lower to the ground where the wind will tend to be less but the real key in my mind is to takeoff, hover and see how hard it's working to maintain position before you start moving away from your home point. Also, if possible start flying into the wind, that way you should always be able to get back home.

I just noticed the green mesh on the fence flapping, just how strong were the winds?

You have some good pointers. We did fly around the park on one whole battery without an issue, the Mavic did fly against the wind but conciderably slower. This happend after I swaped in a fully charged second battery, seemed ok at first then lost ablitity to fight against the wind.
One theory I have, the second battery may not have updated to the latest firmware and wasnt allowing full power to the Mav. Because after I settled down, in my back yard I put my third battery in and it asked to update. I then flew around my yard at low altitude and she seem to respond perfectly. I will charge the second battery and see if it asked to update before flying again, is there away to check the batteries firmware or will it just prompt you to update?

I'm still learning how the updates work so I can't help with that. I suppose they could limit the power if it's not up to the latest firmware. You would hope that DJI would design the software to go all the way to maximum power if it needs to maintain location and the wind Is blowing it off point.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d