DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My First LAANC Experience

dvarapala

Reactions
So I'm currently visiting relatives in Louisville, KY for Thanksgiving. They live in a beautifully wooded area so I brought my MPP with me. They are just barely within the Class D airspace around Bowman Field, so for the first time ever I signed up to get a LAANC authorization. I first checked B4UFLY and verified the area requires authorization and has a maximum AGL of 100'. I then installed the KittyHawk app, signed up for an account, and proceeded to request a LAANC authorization. At that point I was stopped dead in my tracks because, according to the KittyHawk database, the maximum AGL in this area is 10', not the 100' reported by B4UFLY. Now I heard somewhere that KittyHawk had taken over the B4UFLY app, so you'd assume that both would be using the same database, but clearly that is not the case.

So I bailed on KittyHawk and installed AirMap, whichshowed the correct 100' AGL and submitted my request with no problems. The FAA approved it within about 5 seconds and I was cleared for takeoff.

AirMap 1, KittyHawk 0. :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20201127-115613_Kittyhawk.jpgScreenshot_20201127-115613_Kittyhawk.jpg

Last edited:
I was "on the fence" between Kittyhawk and AirMap, but based on your post, I'm going to create an account on AirMap. Thanks!

It looks to me that Kitty Hawk might've limited you to 10 ft AGL is because the visibility was 10 ft, (or am I misreading the display?)

When I tried Kittyhawk, it wouldn't even let you open the app to look around without creating an account. I don't like software that requires an account just to try it so Airmap is my LAANC app.

I had downloaded Kittyhawk but never used it. I do use Airmaps and had to get permission to fly when I was in Waycross Ga. and had no issues getting permission to fly.

It looks to me that Kitty Hawk might've limited you to 10 ft AGL is because the visibility was 10 ft, (or am I misreading the display?)

It's off-screen in that screen shot but it actually said 10 miles of visibility.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom