DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My First Mod for the Mavic Pro's Gimbal Lock

IMG_4252.JPG IMG_4253.JPG IMG_4254.JPG
Ok. So this is my first "mod" if I can call it that? I looked into buying the the tags and cables and whatnot. This is my low dollar version. My reasons for doing it the way I did were:
1. Shipping costs and long wait times for delivery.
2. I also wanted something very light.
3. And I did not want to drill holes in any part of my Mavic.
So, I decided to resort to guerrilla tactics.
These were my step if they are not evident from the photos.
I cut part off part of a plastic tie on a garbage bag. Yep. Folded it over and put a pop rivet through the top. Then drilled out the remaining nail in the rivet then took a small piece of twine, stuck it through the rivet, tied a knot and sealed it with a lighter to keep it from unraveling. I sealed the other end of the twine without a knot. This and the next step were done to be a quick release when the flag inevitably gets snagged on something and rips off the gimbal lock. I simple taped the not-knotted end of the twine to the back of the gimbal lock. That's it. I know it's really low budget but my intent was to alert me to the gimbal lock.

Just need to know if you have a patent on this? Brilliant I say! You should be the next president of the USA. (Gotta be smarter than the one we have now!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Just need to know if you have a patent on this? Brilliant I say! You should be the next president of the USA. (Gotta be smarter than the one we have now!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I know. I know. But I've got more time than money. Haha! It was a cheap solution to a bothersome problem. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: mfarris2
Well,...if you ever run,......you have my vote.

Reactions: Jaysjob
View attachment 6790 View attachment 6791 View attachment 6792
Ok. So this is my first "mod" if I can call it that? I looked into buying the the tags and cables and whatnot. This is my low dollar version. My reasons for doing it the way I did were:
1. Shipping costs and long wait times for delivery.
2. I also wanted something very light.
3. And I did not want to drill holes in any part of my Mavic.
So, I decided to resort to guerrilla tactics.
These were my step if they are not evident from the photos.
I cut part off part of a plastic tie on a garbage bag. Yep. Folded it over and put a pop rivet through the top. Then drilled out the remaining nail in the rivet then took a small piece of twine, stuck it through the rivet, tied a knot and sealed it with a lighter to keep it from unraveling. I sealed the other end of the twine without a knot. This and the next step were done to be a quick release when the flag inevitably gets snagged on something and rips off the gimbal lock. I simple taped the not-knotted end of the twine to the back of the gimbal lock. That's it. I know it's really low budget but my intent was to alert me to the gimbal lock.
I like this, you can take a magic marker and put "Remove Before Flight" in any font you want. Of course if you have to buy a marker it makes it unaffordable.

I like this, you can take a magic marker and put "Remove Before Flight" in any font you want. Of course if you have to buy a marker it makes it unaffordable.

Oh don't think I didn't consider this! Haha!

Told you should have gotten a patent on your idea. To late now. IMG_2104.jpg

Preformed my first mod for my Mavic today. Try to hold back the excitement.

You see, my beloved ground crew keeps forgetting to remove the gimbal lock from the camera. So I decided to take matters in to my own hands and attach a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the lock.

fullsizeoutput_1e57-jpeg.4559

Cool Right.

Here are the steps. Preform the steps at your own risk.
  1. Purchase the Ribbon from Amazon
  2. Find some string.
  3. Get a drill and the right size drill bit.
  4. Remove the cover and the gimbal lock from the aircraft. (very important)
  5. Remove the key ring thing from the ribbon, save for future engagement.
  6. Carefully drill a hole in the rear side of the lock for the string.
    fullsizeoutput_1e63-jpeg.4561

7. Insert the left end of the sting in the gimbal lock hole. Insert the right end of the string in the ribbon hole.
  8. Tie using a great knot connecting each end of the string, here is a reference to find the correct knot.
  9. Carefully put lock back on the gimbal. Using great care to ensure your selected string and tied knot is not in the way, otherwise it will not fit and you will be sad.
    fullsizeoutput_1e54-jpeg.4560

10. Replace the gimbal cover.
  11. Sit back and rest assured that your ground crew will remember to remove the lock on the next flight.
I am sure there are other ways to get this done, but this is the way I choose for my Mavic Pro. Good luck and be careful out there.

Bill.

Reactions: Fireproof
Any chance the remove before flight tag could accidentally snag on something when moving the Mavic and do damage to the camera somewhere down the road?

Any chance the remove before flight tag could accidentally snag on something when moving the Mavic and do damage to the camera somewhere down the road?

Yes. That's why I made mine to breakaway in case it snagged something.

Flying with gimble cover will give you all sorts of visual anomalies. The real problem is when it gets warmer outside. Behind the gimble is a fan forced air intake used to cool the elrctronics. Remember there are 24 computer cores in a very small space. It would be like putting tape across the air intake on a laptop computer.
Next time you FLY with the gimble cove feel the heatsink on the bottom of your Mavic. It will be super hot. The heat can damage the electronics. I learned this the hard way. Luckily I bought Dji care. You can buy aftermarket sunshade gimble covers that are cutout covers that are black.
It gives some protection from crash for gimble and also keeps glare away from lens when off angle from Sun. It dosent impair airflow to cooling fan.

Reactions: RobP62
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard