DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Innapropriate plan for short tunnel exploration??

If it hasn't been said... prop guards

Unless there is a treasure at the other end, worth more than the Mavic, I don't see that it's worth the risk. Even if there was, you would still have to venture in there to retrieve it. But then I'm a little gun shy, since I did a few close quarters flights with my Phantom 3 Pro, that cost me more than one shipment to DJI for repairs. I haven't done that with the Mavic...yet.
Hi davidzimagery. Like you I am just a small guy in this wonderful interest. The "treasure", is the understanding of the genius engineers, who went before and are now so often forgotten or misunderstood. I struggle to understand how they became and remained so committed to these projects with so many barriers, misfortunes and prejudice to overcome. I do not intend to sacrifice myself or my possessions to this tunnel, but would like to present the evidence that encourages the preservation of such a precious yet dwindling resource. These are constantly disappearing in the name of progress. OOpppsss!! just realised I'm in "pompous lecturing mode". Your kind comments just made me stop to think, that's all.
Thanks for the thought tho.
keerev

You're right about losing GPS. Makes the drone immediately drift and walls are not perpendicular nor squared at all, and dimensions vary constantly. But walking with an OSMO may not be feasible either, depending on whether there are walkways and lighting. Would an old structure like that even be safe in entering due to falling rock or previous structures placed inside?
Thanks netfolks2000 for the comment. The structure may have been constructed 1850'ish. although well constructed, over-engineered even, it has been neglected since the 1920's and has clearly settled a bit. I have had tremendous support from the members of this forum and they have convinced me that entry into this structure is foolhardy. I am not yet ready to give up on the opportunity to record the structure though and plan a trip within the next 5weeks. I will post any suitable results.
keerev.

Would it be possible to use Litchi to create a waypoint mission and then send your drone off on its way in Tripod mode using object avoidance to complete its mission?

Just a thought, and sorry if its already been mentioned and disregarded.

From the pictures, the tunnel doesn't look in too bad of shape. The red brick arch on the outside looks intact and although tough to tell also looks intact on the inside. The vertical grey blocks also look in tact. That said, I understand not wanting to enter the tunnel. And I wouldn't attempt flying my drone in there based on small size/clearance and lack of GPS in the tunnel. I don't see the vibration of the drone blades bringing down the tunnel. Based on the size of the tires, they don't appear to be too deep into the tunnel. Same with the what appear to be metal tubes/pipes pieces. I'd start with a long pole (20-25 feet), fasten a hook on it and attempt to drag the debris out. Looks like that could clear a path all the way to the back wall. Then use a 4 wheel RC car with a camera and lights mounted on it, to drive it along the path on the bottom you just created by removing the debris. Or a camera and lights mounted on the same long pole used to clean out the tunnel.
Whatever you choose to do, please post the final photos on this thread, as an engineer, I would be interested in seeing the inside of a 200 year old tunnel. You might be surprised how intact it may be. Or you might prove how frail it is.

Reactions: Keerev
Hi davidzimagery. Like you I am just a small guy in this wonderful interest. The "treasure", is the understanding of the genius engineers, who went before and are now so often forgotten or misunderstood. I struggle to understand how they became and remained so committed to these projects with so many barriers, misfortunes and prejudice to overcome. I do not intend to sacrifice myself or my possessions to this tunnel, but would like to present the evidence that encourages the preservation of such a precious yet dwindling resource. These are constantly disappearing in the name of progress. OOpppsss!! just realised I'm in "pompous lecturing mode". Your kind comments just made me stop to think, that's all.
Thanks for the thought tho.
keerev
I hear what you're saying about documenting some of these awesome relics. We don't have much around here that old, but there are still historical things that are being destroyed or just falling apart. Good luck with your efforts.

My short answer as others have already said is Bad idea, don't do it. I would not do it with mine. However, I used to fly racing quads (drone). I myself would be crazy enough to try that with a GoPro or Mobius camera strapped to it. The are a lot smaller and easier to get in and out of smaller spaces. Maybe you can find someone who has the skills, drone and intestinal fortitude to try it. :)

If it's between a person in flesh vs quad going in, then choose the quad.
Otherwise, unless you're really experienced flying atti mode, Don't.

Would it be possible to use Litchi to create a waypoint mission and then send your drone off on its way in Tripod mode using object avoidance to complete its mission?

Just a thought, and sorry if its already been mentioned and disregarded.

This isn't going to work because the waypoints need GPS to function and once the drone goes into the tunnel it's going to lose GPS and highly likely to drift into the wall as it won't be able to hold position in atti mode.

I've had to abandon several flight missions that I really want to fly, due to safety concerns, legality or to avoid creating issues with land owners. This is the case with my drones and hand held cameras. So I understand your frustration.

The OP describes an "unstable" tunnel "including small falls of building stone". This makes going inside with any hand held option unwise. Looking at the pictures from post #8 it looks like all he needs is more light and a decent telephoto lens.
Or indeed a long pole and Gopro.

My short answer as others have already said is Bad idea, don't do it. I would not do it with mine. However, I used to fly racing quads (drone). I myself would be crazy enough to try that with a GoPro or Mobius camera strapped to it. The are a lot smaller and easier to get in and out of smaller spaces. Maybe you can find someone who has the skills, drone and intestinal fortitude to try it. :)

Thanks for the ideas LtLightnin. There are a few who have flown in the area, but they have generated a poor public opinion by flying erratically and not seeking permission to enter property etc. It makes it more difficult now to prove, that the responsible approach, avoids these problems, so It's proving slow to persuade those who own/control these areas. If I "sacrifice" one of these "Top Guns" I would probably stop all flying in the district. keerev

If it's between a person in flesh vs quad going in, then choose the quad.
Otherwise, unless you're really experienced flying atti mode, Don't.

Hi DanMan32. Not a word in you comment that I can disagree with!
I have now reached a decision on my approach. I will only enter the first 4' of the tunnel, where the roof is secure, without visible cracks or distortions.
This will hopefully give me access to all interfering debris. I have a 15' pole, ex-window-cleaner, used to clean upper windows. It's light weight is unlikely to move the debris, but should accurately place a grappling hook that I have constructed. Attached to 75kg climbing rope, it should enable me to draw out the debris creating a cleared flying space.
After rigging the lighting, I will fly the TELLO and capture initial images to examine before next steps.
I have a hand-held tray to support the tethered Pro Platinum minus propellers. That, combined with the lighting should yield images that will suit all purposes.
Just 2 questions outstanding now.
1. What settings to set the camera.
2. How can I gain accurate reference measurements? I have a graduated surveyors pole that I will sacrifice, but I cannot "Javelin" it 24' down a low tunnel! It would probably land in a completely useless orientation anyway.
Have you any ideas how the "Professionals" overcome these problems?
Thanks. keerev

Reactions: Prismatic
I've had to abandon several flight missions that I really want to fly, due to safety concerns, legality or to avoid creating issues with land owners. This is the case with my drones and hand held cameras. So I understand your frustration.

Thanks davidzimagery, for the reality check, I continue with my message to others.
I have now reached a decision on my approach. I will only enter the first 4' of the tunnel, where the roof is secure, without visible cracks or distortions.
This will hopefully give me access to all interfering debris. I have a 15' pole, ex-window-cleaner, used to clean upper windows. It's light weight is unlikely to move the debris, but should accurately place a grappling hook that I have constructed. Attached to 75kg climbing rope, it should enable me to draw out the debris creating a cleared flying space.
After rigging the lighting, I will fly the TELLO and capture initial images to examine before next steps.
I have a hand-held tray to support the tethered Pro Platinum minus propellers. That, combined with the lighting should yield images that will suit all purposes.
Just 2 questions outstanding now.
1. What settings to set the camera.
2. How can I gain accurate reference measurements? I have a graduated surveyors pole that I will sacrifice, but I cannot "Javelin" it 24' down a low tunnel! It would probably land in a completely useless orientation anyway.
Have you any ideas how the "Professionals" overcome these problems?
Thanks. keerev

... I will only enter the first 4' of the tunnel, where the roof is secure, without visible cracks or distortions. ... I have a 15' pole, ex-window-cleaner ... should accurately place a grappling hook that ... should enable me to draw out the debris creating a cleared flying space. ... I will fly the TELLO and capture initial images ... I have a hand-held tray to support the tethered Pro Platinum minus propellers. That, combined with the lighting should yield images that will suit all purposes.
Looks like a good plan, though I don't quite understand the "tethered MPP on a tray" business. An MPP on a very long pole could to be hard to manage! Or would the MPP be ferried in atop your grandson's RC vehicle, once the path is clear?
Just 2 questions outstanding now. ...
Can't really help you, except to say you'll probably determine the camera settings based on trial & error, given the lighting conditions and uncertain reflectance of the interior surfaces.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa